Why can't I get acrylic very clear???

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wet it sand it with 1000g then 2000g then buff the heck out of it with plastiX and it just never gets crystal clear like I want, am I expecting too much? It did look a lot more clear when I had water in it to test for leaks but now that it's out It seems a lot less clear.

What's the secret to buffing it up real nice?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a buffer that attaches to my drill that did a great job. I used two different types of compound and two types of buffers.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo 3m compounds have a really good cut.and the tank I did it on had deep scratches.also while wet sanding Try putting small amount of dish soap in spray bottle with water.helped me a bunch. sounds like you may not be getting an even sand pattern.make sure to use circular motions as well.good luck

OP
OP
deerhunter06

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be it i kinda just assumed the buffing takes care of sanding marks tho. I think I just suck at it.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small grinder with a buffing wheel .higher rpms.drills aren't fast enough.make more work with drill.just keep buffer moving or you'll burn acrylic easily

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes practice. I suggest obtaining a scrap piece of acrylic. Scratch it. then sand and buff it. I wouldn't practice on your future display tank.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done resurface a few times. I use 1000, 1500, 2000 wet sand. Water with a little soap.
I have tried PlasticX and other but what really works best for me is the Novus. So after all sanding done I use #3 which is marked heavy scratch(use it first), then #2(fine scratches).

Put on the #3 take it off put on #3 again take it off and then do 2 rounds of the #2.

I use a combination buffer 9" pads but also utilize drill with ball which helps get into the corners nicely

Couple different buffer pads

Also do not use #1 as I found that seems to cloud it back up on me. This is good for cleaning outside.

Make sure the cloudiness is not coming from other other side of acrylic. So if you are doing the inside polish outside first.

Yes it can be so frustrating but you will get there you are doing nothing wrong. Just do not keep sanding in 1 spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Novus 3 step polish, after your've wet sanded.
[video=youtube;QnIwVp2a7F8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIwVp2a7F8[/video]

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm ^^^^^ I just want to thank you very much reefing madness because your video is what I watched and learned what to do. When I sold mine they person could not believe how clear/ no scratches and was a 9 year old tank.
Best video out there

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the plastic polish can be used, but those of us that have done it before prefer the 3 step Novus Acrylic Polish

EzCheez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good amount of experience with acrylic, not necessarily with fish tanks tho. But I would recommend when sanding, unless your using an orbital, to sand in different directions from outside to inside. That way you can see which side the scratches are on. And change sand paper often, your finer grits wear down quicker.

OP
OP
deerhunter06

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I don't have any scratches it would be fine to just use the 3 step novus correct I'm just trying get the acrylic clear it just has a haze to it in a few spots. Also about 6 inches from the bottom it look likes the water was drained and left there for awhile. You can see salt marks and water lines.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well try to use vinegar and water for the salt lines.You want that surface as clean as possible before putting wax or anything to it. You do not want any grit on there at all.
Also you can try Magic eraser original to try to clean those lines before you wax and buff.

Yes if not sanding just use the Novus.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back