Why cant u keep sps?

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting my current tank last winter I used dry rock but added Live Sand Activator and Wonder Mud from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms, along with some of their other worm packs and such. I wonder how this compares to seeding dry rock with some true live rock for providing diversity? Anyone have any experiences?

I ordered the Live sand activator package from them after reading this thread, which includes live sand,wondermud, and what I think helped just as much was the bags of Liquid N-Reducer which is a concentrated solution of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobactor Bacteria. I was very impressed with the shipment. Everything was extremely alive, I now have more noticeable creatures living in the sand ( worms etc ). But what I noticed the most was I was starting to get bad Dinos in the tank, killing a few SPS and within 4 days of the addition of LS Activator all the Dinos were gone and I haven't had them since.

On the same day I received the LS Activator I also received a shipment of 3 pounds live rock shipped in a bag full of water from KP Aquatics. The rock is going to help seed my Caribsea life rock which is the only rock I had in prior to adding the live rock. Rock came in amazing condition, smelled fresh and had multiple types of Coraline algae, sponges and feather dusters all of which survived the shipment. I did no curing and just put directly into tank( I had a tank setup for curing the rock, but upon receiving and inspecting the rock it looked great to put in directly).

The only negative thing I noticed from adding these two shipments was phosphates went up slightly to 1 instead of my normal 0 ( which im still trying to bring back up) after 4 days the phosphates returned to 0. I have been feeding more reef riods as a form of phosphate dosing which seems to be working.

Its now been over a month since the additions and SPS are slowly starting to gain more color, a few have even gotten better color then when I bought them.

Some pictures of the shipments, sorry for amateur photos, was trying to get into the tank ASAP.

IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Live sand activator package from them after reading this thread, which includes live sand,wondermud, and what I think helped just as much was the bags of Liquid N-Reducer which is a concentrated solution of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobactor Bacteria. I was very impressed with the shipment. Everything was extremely alive, I now have more noticeable creatures living in the sand ( worms etc ). But what I noticed the most was I was starting to get bad Dinos in the tank, killing a few SPS and within 4 days of the addition of LS Activator all the Dinos were gone and I haven't had them since.

On the same day I received the LS Activator I also received a shipment of 3 pounds live rock shipped in a bag full of water from KP Aquatics. The rock is going to help seed my Caribsea life rock which is the only rock I had in prior to adding the live rock. Rock came in amazing condition, smelled fresh and had multiple types of Coraline algae, sponges and feather dusters all of which survived the shipment. I did no curing and just put directly into tank( I had a tank setup for curing the rock, but upon receiving and inspecting the rock it looked great to put in directly).

The only negative thing I noticed from adding these two shipments was phosphates went up slightly to 1 instead of my normal 0 ( which im still trying to bring back up) after 4 days the phosphates returned to 0. I have been feeding more reef riods as a form of phosphate dosing which seems to be working.

Its now been over a month since the additions and SPS are slowly starting to gain more color, a few have even gotten better color then when I bought them.

Some pictures of the shipments, sorry for amateur photos, was trying to get into the tank ASAP.

IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG
I just received my surf zone package today. Incredible. Of course I received mine with the same algaes. What are they exactly? I have them in my sump, but I don't have an actual fuge or sump light. Would my tangs eat them as a snack? I put my wondermud in a cut off gatorade bottle in the sump as well as the LSA in a cutoff gatorade bottle right next to it. I dumped the N-reducer in near the return chamber, and put the pods in. Everything is so active.

Also great to hear you were able to order just 3 lbs of KP shipped in water. With it being that small were they able to deliver it to your door?

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the people who can't get fresh live rock? I live in canada and it's a crap shoot to source. I've got t5 lighting, alkatronic, awc and will be putting a carx online soon. But still im dealing with sps frags going downhill even though the tanks been running for 3 and 1/2yrs. Its getting really frustrating and I would do anything for a taste of success.
Have you tested your nutrients? Nitrates and phosphates

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my surf zone package today. Incredible. Of course I received mine with the same algaes. What are they exactly? I have them in my sump, but I don't have an actual fuge or sump light. Would my tangs eat them as a snack? I put my wondermud in a cut off gatorade bottle in the sump as well as the LSA in a cutoff gatorade bottle right next to it. I dumped the N-reducer in near the return chamber, and put the pods in. Everything is so active.

Also great to hear you were able to order just 3 lbs of KP shipped in water. With it being that small were they able to deliver it to your door?
Yeah overnight shipping. You have to order another item though( fish or crab etc) to be able to do 1lb or more. I got a Sailfin Blenny, which is very happy and healthy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe you :) ill run an icp test and see what's up and keep things stable!
Just FWIW - this is not an ICP test - its an actual microbiology DNA test

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm starting my second SPS reef tank at the moment (just added fish, no corals yet) and have been thinking about this topic a lot.

In Australia where I live, live rock just isn't an option. If it wasn't dead as a market already because of environmental laws and cost, it will be now because of covid. Few reefers want other reefer's rock and the problems that come with it (especially if you are like me and meticulous about keeping pests out) and there are obvious maintenance and flow benefits to not having sand in a reef tank. So essentially, there are good a proportion of us starting a reef as a bacterial desert. I think this is a growing reality. The only current solution is bacterial additives. I hope I can achieve the same results as @ycnibrc.

What's confusing to me is that most of the products I can get hold of here only ever claim to to be, or be food for, nitrifying bacteria. Some make vague claims about coral health but that's about it. Is that what we are really talking about here or a broader spectrum of bacteria?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm starting my second SPS reef tank at the moment (just added fish, no corals yet) and have been thinking about this topic a lot.

In Australia where I live, live rock just isn't an option. If it wasn't dead as a market already because of environmental laws and cost, it will be now because of covid. Few reefers want other reefer's rock and the problems that come with it (especially if you are like me and meticulous about keeping pests out) and there are obvious maintenance and flow benefits to not having sand in a reef tank. So essentially, there are good a proportion of us starting a reef as a bacterial desert. I think this is a growing reality. The only current solution is bacterial additives. I hope I can achieve the same results as @ycnibrc.

What's confusing to me is that most of the products I can get hold of here only ever claim to to be, or be food for, nitrifying bacteria. Some make vague claims about coral health but that's about it. Is that what we are really talking about here or a broader spectrum of bacteria?
As far as zeovit zeobak contain multi microorganisms , zeostart3 has different strain of bacteria to consume nitrate and phosphate and sponge power is food for sponge and filter feeder in your tank which filter phosphate and nitrate from your water.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does every bottle of kz smell like vinegar? Are they using it as a carbon source for everything?

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in this combo, I am now keeping SPS, first time in my current setup, after a year and dozens of dead frags. NP Pro, ProBioS, KZ Flatworm Stop, KZ Pohls Extra Special, and AF Build. If I were to guess, it would be the Probiotic bacteria, but KZ products selected specifically for coral health. No stones, passive carbon, and mangrove fuge, with aggressive skimming. 6 weeks in to my specific method, and couldn't be happier. Cheers

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somewhere in this combo, I am now keeping SPS, first time in my current setup, after a year and dozens of dead frags. NP Pro, ProBioS, KZ Flatworm Stop, KZ Pohls Extra Special, and AF Build. If I were to guess, it would be the Probiotic bacteria, but KZ products selected specifically for coral health. No stones, passive carbon, and mangrove fuge, with aggressive skimming. 6 weeks in to my specific method, and couldn't be happier. Cheers
The key to success is more bacteria diversity no matter what brand. Because we start with dry rock our tank is lacking of beneficial bacteria and microorganisms. The technology of reefing nowadays is far more advanced than before. We should be able to successfully keeping sps without a doubt. However we gain the advancement of equipment we losing the good bacteria providing from real live rock from the sea. From dino to cant keep sps are the result of missing the key ingredients bacteria.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no able to lower po4 - hanging around 0.1 and 0.2 ppm. i am using 1.5kg of zeolite and set the skimz zar 157 to 2 and dosing 0.5 ml of start3 day and night

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this whole thread as a lurker before registering for the forum, I find it very intriguing. There is a new thread in the chemistry forum that looks to be directly related to the topics discussed here. (And started by a microbiologist)

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to success is more bacteria diversity no matter what brand. Because we start with dry rock our tank is lacking of beneficial bacteria and microorganisms. The technology of reefing nowadays is far more advanced than before. We should be able to successfully keeping sps without a doubt. However we gain the advancement of equipment we losing the good bacteria providing from real live rock from the sea. From dino to cant keep sps are the result of missing the key ingredients bacteria.

I seriously do not see any disadvantages to periodically or consistently dosing bacteria, of course depending on the source. I prefer AF Probiotic Bacteria personally, but give an occasional dose of mb7, post water change. I can only advise on what I see, but when I discontinue use of bacteria, corals just don't appear as healthy/happy as when I dose. That said, I will continue to dose daily, albeit in smaller doses, less than recommended. I am convinced that this is exactly what most tanks are missing, especially newer reefs established with dry rock. To each their own, but my reef is an example of that "what's missing " component.
Cheers

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously do not see any disadvantages to periodically or consistently dosing bacteria, of course depending on the source. I prefer AF Probiotic Bacteria personally, but give an occasional dose of mb7, post water change. I can only advise on what I see, but when I discontinue use of bacteria, corals just don't appear as healthy/happy as when I dose. That said, I will continue to dose daily, albeit in smaller doses, less than recommended. I am convinced that this is exactly what most tanks are missing, especially newer reefs established with dry rock. To each their own, but my reef is an example of that "what's missing " component.
Cheers
I must have missed that Perry you're routinely dosing the Pro Bio S? I will say I've had more luck with live sand/rock than anything else.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have missed that Perry you're routinely dosing the Pro Bio S? I will say I've had more luck with live sand/rock than anything else.

So, my acros really respond to bacteria dosing, anecdotal, but colors, health, pe, all appear happy with continued dosing. When I discontinued for 2 weeks, all were well, but just not popping. Just my observation my friend :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my acros really respond to bacteria dosing, anecdotal, but colors, health, pe, all appear happy with continued dosing. When I discontinued for 2 weeks, all were well, but just not popping. Just my observation my friend :)
I like it Perry. Interestingly I noticed a big difference in my previous tank when I got some live sand and mud from the keys and added it to my sump in glass jars.

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres definitely a symbiotic relationship between microbes, algae, protists, and corals. I've read a few studies showing that algae can release compounds that cause bacteria to bloom that are harmful to corals. Also corals can release compounds that feed bacteria that harm algae.

Some out of balance elements could be a trigger.

For example raising magnesium seems to have an impact on on certain algae species and for all we know this could trigger the release of specific organic compounds which can cause certain microbes too bloom.

So organic compounds can act like a switch

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back