Why do so many tank brands try to force packages?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently shopping for a 200L-ish tank and it's very difficult to find one that supports a sump config that doesn't also come with the whole cabinet, sump, pump, skimmer, etc kitchen sink. I understand that providing such a package by default is great for probably most sales, but I seem to be having a lot of trouble asking anyone to sell me just the tank. Waterbox for example seem like a perfect fit if I could buy just the MARINE X 60.2 tank on its own. Is there a reason I'm not aware of makes it hard or impossible for them or my local LFS to cut me a deal for just the tank?
Anyone who has experience with the LFS industry - If I get friendly with an LFS can they run this kind of deal or does Waterbox itself just not let them do so?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the Harvey Weinstein model of business, the package is what everyone wants and needs to be happy.

Otherwise they will just sell a tank and miss out on profits from the lights, skimmer, and of course the hose. Everyone wants to sell you the full package including the hose.
happy pbs digital studios GIF by PBS

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out Planet Aquariums. I saw a few of their tanks at my LFS and these are really well built.
They have many lines of aquariums to choose from and you can just buy the tank only. They don't sell direct so you have to go through your LFS

I don't know if this company ships or does any business outside of the US

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately neither Glass Cages nor Planet Aquariums seem to be available in Australia. :/
Being in Australia you’re going to have a hard time. Most of the mass produced tanks are all those ones like you see that they want to sell the whole package.
I’d suggest looking for a custom tank builder locally or try to find a non reef ready tank and just drill it yourself

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in Australia you’re going to have a hard time. Most of the mass produced tanks are all those ones like you see that they want to sell the whole package.
I’d suggest looking for a custom tank builder locally or try to find a non reef ready tank and just drill it yourself
Yeah I'm very much finding that. The problem with custom builds is that, well, they're custom and more expensive. Part of the reason for not watching the whole kitchen sink is cost ultimately.
I'll send a few emails to local LFS and see if they can help me out with one of the big brands.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of it is also to get you loyal to one brand. I personally buy everything separate and skip the heavy brand name prices, in general. But I buy the “cheap” tanks.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of it is also to get you loyal to one brand. I personally buy everything separate and skip the heavy brand name prices, in general. But I buy the “cheap” tanks.
Yeah I get the game they're playing. I walked into a LFS the other week to scope things out and I walked out with a Red Sea booklet with a $3k starter kit options breakdown. Its like a bloody car dealership these days haha.

I just wish they'd provide the piecemeal options if asked for is all.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get the game they're playing. I walked into a LFS the other week to scope things out and I walked out with a Red Sea booklet with a $3k starter kit options breakdown. Its like a bloody car dealership these days haha.

Do the regular pet stores no sell aquariums?
Like here in the USA we can go to pretty much any store and get a cheap aquarium tank. It’ll be just the tank and it’ll be with a rim/brace on top but they are usually ALOT less than the fancy tanks that fish stores sell. Just something like an aquaeon or marine land tank.

Unfortunately, if you want the fancy rimless tanks, you gotta pay extra.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the regular pet stores no sell aquariums?
Like here in the USA we can go to pretty much any store and get a cheap aquarium tank. It’ll be just the tank and it’ll be with a rim/brace on top but they are usually ALOT less than the fancy tanks that fish stores sell. Just something like an aquaeon or marine land tank.

Unfortunately, if you want the fancy rimless tanks, you gotta pay extra.
So yeah I could get just a basic tank with no plumbing if it was pure cost as an issue, for sure. But what I'm looking for is a tank with some plumbing & weir that I can DIY a sump with.
So that leaves me with trying to strong arm an LFS to cut up one of the big branch packages, or buying a cheap tank + weir/overflow kit and DIY cutting it together. I would prefer the former, as I think the latter will end up about the same potentially as I'd have to buy all the tools for the first time.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely! Another thing they don’t mention is that no matter how much we spend, it doesn’t guarantee success. And also that most Reefers quit the hobby in 1-5 years. But, I’m sure there are those with deep pockets and extra cash burning a hole. I hope you find something that suits you! Good luck!

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think another reason for the packages is places like RedSea produce over seas. Shipping cost is by the m^2, so it's cheaper to ship the whole package, and keeping sku count down to a minimum in the production environment is part of lean and eliminates wastes. So, yes profit over customer satisfaction (not to be confused with quality).

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these tanks are produced in Asia. They were packaged as a ‘set’ thousands of miles away, months before you even thought of buying them, and then shipped over on a container ship. If you want to buy one ‘tank only’ you are essentially asking them to tear down a prepackaged set, sell you half the pieces for half the cost, then throw away the rest of it and lose money on the sale.

Based on the QA stickers, the Cade I bought recently was crated and palleted over a year before I ordered it.

It is not like when you place you order, someone is custom picking just the parts you want.

I agree the option would be nice, but then Red Sea etc would have to maintain a lot more inventory to have all the options.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can sum this thread up into one single word…. Regardless of the reasons why…

That word is “Profits”

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up contacting a local store and I was able to purchase a Waterbox with just the tank + piping. No sump or cabinet. I haven't taken action on that yet, but its possible.

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah I could get just a basic tank with no plumbing if it was pure cost as an issue, for sure. But what I'm looking for is a tank with some plumbing & weir that I can DIY a sump with.
So that leaves me with trying to strong arm an LFS to cut up one of the big branch packages, or buying a cheap tank + weir/overflow kit and DIY cutting it together. I would prefer the former, as I think the latter will end up about the same potentially as I'd have to buy all the tools for the first time.
Not sure what kind of tools you have on hand, but I drilled an overflow box and bulkhead successfully on my first build I'm doing. Cost was about 15$ for the bit, drill I had on hand, and whatever water I ran out keeping the cutting area wet. Was personally one of those things I was convinced I'd screw up, which made me that much more cautious doing it. Tank, overflow, and bits I think I have less than 200$ in all together.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they exist here. Though they're very high end it seems.
Not sure what kind of tools you have on hand, but I drilled an overflow box and bulkhead successfully on my first build I'm doing. Cost was about 15$ for the bit, drill I had on hand, and whatever water I ran out keeping the cutting area wet. Was personally one of those things I was convinced I'd screw up, which made me that much more cautious doing it. Tank, overflow, and bits I think I have less than 200$ in all together.
Literally no tools. :)
Yeah it's an option. I'd have to find an overflow box kit that is good though too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back