Why does my tank seem to use lots of magnesium, a little alkalinity, and no calcium?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A little background:

I have a 125 mixed reef tank with a 40 gallon sump - I estimate about 100 gallons of water after subtracting the rock and sand displacement and my dosing estimates are pretty close to accurate based on dosing for 100 gallons.

The majority of my corals are still frags and are slowly becoming small colonies. It's stocked fairly decent with fish but not over stocked - 2 Tangs, 2 Damsels, 2 algae Blennies, 2 Halichoeres wrasses, 3 clowns, and 5 Cardinals.

Now, the interesting part:

I rarely do any water changes, I dose 10 ml of phosphates daily, nitrates are up and I'm working on lowering those, calcium stays around 480, I dose about a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate every other week, and I dose 20 ppm of magnesium every other day.

I'm guessing part of my "issue" could be that my top off water is tap water (I know...) And that it's probably high in calcium and it definitely has alkalinity (I think 7.8 dKh) so I'm technically dosing alkalinity there and probably calcium as well.

Lately though, I'm having really aggressive growth on Cyphastreas and Acros and I still am not seeing a drop.

July 4th to today:
IMG_20230706_125022811.jpg
IMG_20230822_203634672.jpg

May 29th to July 4th to today:
IMG_20230529_125611886.jpg
IMG_20230704_113540153.jpg
IMG_20230822_203713679.jpg

May 29th to today:.
image.jpg
IMG_20230822_203626548.jpg
IMG_20230529_092514657.jpg
IMG_20230822_203607025.jpg

No before pics but I just moved this 2 weeks ago and it's already encrusting the glass:
IMG_20230822_203746386.jpg

Again, no progress pics but both have expanded upwards and downwards by almost 1" in the last 2-3 weeks:
IMG_20230822_203948847.jpg

I'd say my tank is not suffering so the calcium must be coming in through the top off water?

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 5-7 ml of Mg a day. My tank is a bit less than 39 gallons. If you have a lot of rock, you are going to have a lot of growth which uses up the elements a lot faster than one would like.
Magnesium is only depleted at 1/10th the rate of alk and calcium depletion.
Depends. There are factors that change this statement. OP says that they may have lots of coralline algae

The coralline algae is a substantial sink for calcium and alkalinity (and magnesium) in reef tanks, but generally in a balanced fashion (maybe slightly less calcium use than usual as it incorporates a lot of magnesium.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do notice if I go a few days without adding magnesium then add a little extra to make up the coralline growth seems to jump a bit.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 5-7 ml of Mg a day. My tank is a bit less than 39 gallons. If you have a lot of rock, you are going to have a lot of growth which uses up the elements a lot faster than one would like.

Depends. There are factors that change this statement. OP says that they may have lots of coralline algae
I have a ton more coraline then what's in the OP tank pic along with 38 SPS colonies and 40 other corals. My mag depletes very slowly but I dose 35 ml of alk and 35 ml of calcium daily. I am guessing some improper testing probably so maybe he should get a confirmation second test done somewhere.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton more coraline then what's in the OP tank pic along with 38 SPS colonies and 40 other corals. My mag depletes very slowly but I dose 35 ml of alk and 35 ml of calcium daily. I am guessing some improper testing probably so maybe he should get a confirmation second test done somewhere.
Agreed. I suppose consumption differs from tank to tank. Odd.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is simply impossible to either use 20 ppm of magnesium per day, or to use any significant magnesium in an ordinary reef tank without using alkalinity and calcium.

Even coralline uses them in a ratio of about 2.8 dKH of alk, 18-19 ppm calcium, and 1-2 ppm magnesium.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I dose 20 ppm of magnesium every other day.
You are not the only person to observe this. I read it at few places and heard it mentioned in a video (don’t ask for a source).
The symptoms is that suddenly Magnesium is consumed at elevated rate and abruptly things go back to normal.
There is no explanation and it makes no sense from reef chemistry or biology.
I observed something similar early in my reefing trials but I figured I was newb and messed up the test or something else.
Regardless interesting phenomena.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not the only person to observe this. I read it at few places and heard it mentioned in a video (don’t ask for a source).
The symptoms is that suddenly Magnesium is consumed at elevated rate and abruptly things go back to normal.
There is no explanation and it makes no sense from reef chemistry or biology.
I observed something similar early in my reefing trials but I figured I was newb and messed up the test or something else.
Regardless interesting phenomena.

Given the terrible track record of magnesium test kits, I’d bet against big odds that such reports are either test errors or salinity changes. There’s just not a way for a cell to store large amounts of magnesium and not alk.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've gotten confirmation. I'm guessing that it probably is then due to the top off water being high in calcium and alkalinity I don't see th same drops.
It is simply impossible to either use 20 ppm of magnesium per day, or to use any significant magnesium in an ordinary reef tank without using alkalinity and calcium.

Even coralline uses them in a ratio of about 2.8 dKH of alk, 18-19 ppm calcium, and 1-2 ppm magnesium.
It's 20 every other day, not daily so only 10 ppm. So then it's most likely due to the top off water? High alkalinity and calcium offsetting the demand, but low magnesium not keeping up?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Given the terrible track record of magnesium test kits, I’d bet against big odds that such reports are either test errors or salinity changes. There’s just not a way for a cell to store large amounts of magnesium and not alk.
My magnesium will hover at 1260-1280 and not seem to deplete much but when I get it to 1350 or higher is when I start to see the drop.

If it helps, I keep my alkalinity at 8.3 dKh and I've not had to dose calcium since setting this tank up.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy you likely got the two main causes.
Reflecting back I suspect in my case in the early days it was combination of incorrect salinity and test error. I struggled a lot with getting consistent salinity measurement, the salinity probe was up and down and refractometer gave me 5 different readings in a row.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten confirmation. I'm guessing that it probably is then due to the top off water being high in calcium and alkalinity I don't see th same drops.

It's 20 every other day, not daily so only 10 ppm. So then it's most likely due to the top off water? High alkalinity and calcium offsetting the demand, but low magnesium not keeping up?

No, there’s no scenario where a reef tank uses 10 ppm of magnesium per day.

Any efforts to explain it have to involve something other than consumption, such as test error or salinity changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are you topping off with?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back