Why is no one importing the Dutch Synthetic Reefing products for the US market?

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 fully grown reeftanks in my home

If this would have been "high maintenance" i could never do this.

Maybee because i have so many tanks, i have to make sure i don't spend to much time and money on maintenance.
Or is it because i don't spend to much time and money on maitenance i can have so many tanks[emoji849][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji6]

bb7c39a22a14e5cc3caaf5e50978d453.jpg
d8deef803be5ea0e4418dd5bc08de99e.jpg
6a7b4b7da0a721f7bec296ed20dd143c.jpg
1e1fb9ab5bdc4c2709121d5d4cf2bed2.jpg
e7ade5edc1aee775b8e782ef30daeacd.jpg
d91b3df4c19af4c96983f9f370a370b1.jpg
ce6cb1436313e0904037ed7780634221.jpg
5f62655d8ab70a32a1adbf296eccc5c4.jpg
8c55875895f4e99ab1a5dcae584b33a3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have 8 fully grown reeftanks in my home

If this would have been "high maintenance" i could never do this.

Maybee because i have so many tanks, i have to make sure i don't spend to much time and money on maintenance.
Or is it because i don't spend to much time and money on maitenance i can have so many tanks[emoji849][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji6]

bb7c39a22a14e5cc3caaf5e50978d453.jpg
d8deef803be5ea0e4418dd5bc08de99e.jpg
6a7b4b7da0a721f7bec296ed20dd143c.jpg
1e1fb9ab5bdc4c2709121d5d4cf2bed2.jpg
e7ade5edc1aee775b8e782ef30daeacd.jpg
d91b3df4c19af4c96983f9f370a370b1.jpg
ce6cb1436313e0904037ed7780634221.jpg
5f62655d8ab70a32a1adbf296eccc5c4.jpg
8c55875895f4e99ab1a5dcae584b33a3.jpg

THIS ISN'T A HOUSE ! IT'S A PUBLIC AQUARIUM lol

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t want too knock DSR ...glen fongs tanks are amazing ...but I would just like too point out that like any other product out there , there are many success stories as well as failures ...I know more than a couple of people that DSR didnt work well for ..I believe the calculation for measuring and adding additives isn't as simple as made out too be ..that being said I've never used it myself ...and yes it is similar too Triton method ...

U

User1

View Badges
I do t want too knock DSR ...glen fongs tanks are amazing ...but I would just like too point out that like any other product out there , there are many success stories as well as failures ...I know more than a couple of people that DSR didnt work well for ..I believe the calculation for measuring and adding additives isn't as simple as made out too be ..that being said I've never used it myself ...and yes it is similar too Triton method ...

Regarding main point in your post - this is true with any system be it fresh water or salt. Mixed reef, dedicated, etc. What works for me may not work for you. If there was a single recipe for success then I pretty much guarantee everyone would follow it. Simple example take Bean Animals overflow design. Black and white, clear instructions, parts, everything required to fully implement it. Just size plumbing go your requirement. Yet how many threads out on the internet that alter the actual design yet still call it a Bean Animal? It isn't when you deviate or customize it to fit your build and when that is done it no longer is the design nor can 100% guarantee redundancy and fault tolerance.

If I was a betting man I would say there are more failures with Triton but that is just an opinion of mine. Main reason why is because it has again strict requirements for sump, flow, products, etc. It is by its design more complicated than DSR.

Edit: Doesn't mean there are not success stories with Triton or others. Just pointing out that there are Triton requirements along the likes of water test, flow, sumps, et all.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding main point in your post - this is true with any system be it fresh water or salt. Mixed reef, dedicated, etc. What works for me may not work for you. If there was a single recipe for success then I pretty much guarantee everyone would follow it. Simple example take Bean Animals overflow design. Black and white, clear instructions, parts, everything required to fully implement it. Just size plumbing go your requirement. Yet how many threads out on the internet that alter the actual design yet still call it a Bean Animal? It isn't when you deviate or customize it to fit your build and when that is done it no longer is the design nor can 100% guarantee redundancy and fault tolerance.

If I was a betting man I would say there are more failures with Triton but that is just an opinion of mine. Main reason why is because it has again strict requirements for sump, flow, products, etc. It is by its design more complicated than DSR.

Edit: Doesn't mean there are not success stories with Triton or others. Just pointing out that there are Triton requirements along the likes of water test, flow, sumps, et all.
I totally agree with you ...and like I said I'm not knocking DSR ...or glen fong...I respect the guy totally ...and I dont doubt DSR can work....but just not for everyone or every tank....of course I suspect the failures are human ones rather than the product ..

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or this load from 2014

All tools are included in the method to take on any challenge.
Without any waterchanges i have manage to be crashfree since 2012 on all my tanks.
Even with lost of fish due to 7 hours power outage and a 3ppm iron overdose due to stupidity i did not do any waterchanges.
Why... because most problems can be managed and sometimes the waterchanges on large volume are just not possible within the timeframe it would make a difference.

I am very transparent about the method and share all the developments of my tanks realtime on forums.
These are no coral displays, but all of them are grown from frags

Last edited:

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with any method you need to "get to" the basics of the method to apply it the right way.

Most failure comes from people who don't bother reading into the subject, or just mixed up many methods and product which fubar any good method developed.

There are many methods to chose from. You only need to find what suits your needs best.
If it's a waterchanging one, please do so. Afterall it's your hobby and yours only to enjoy.

All methods/designers/manufactures have some fundamental diverences in their approach to reef maintenance. But bluntly speaking it all comes down to waterquality management to have a thriving reeftank with as low effort as possible
Or am i wrong?[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Somehow in reading, I missed the part about there being a skimmer.
When there is a decent coral biomass, and an efficient powerfilter, the skimmer provides mostly gas exchange. It’s not unique to Glenn, others with large coral biomass have said similar things. One of my favorites is Adam at Battlecorals. He calls it an acrofuge.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there is a decent coral biomass, and an efficient powerfilter, the skimmer provides mostly gas exchange. It’s not unique to Glenn, others with large coral biomass have said similar things. One of my favorites is Adam at Battlecorals. He calls it an acrofuge.
Yep. A few of my tanks that have really gotten loaded have skimmers running, but very little ever gets collected despite above average fish loads and heavy feeding.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. A few of my tanks that have really gotten loaded have skimmers running, but very little ever gets collected despite above average fish loads and heavy feeding.

The art of reefkeeping is to balance Corals and fish load against each other. Those 2 are complementary. But before you get there you need to work on you skills and use the right set of tools to take control.

Once you manage to do that the system runs by itselves with minor monitoring and tweaking... Just like any regulated process used in all production processes.

That is the method i apply.
DSR is just the set of rules and tools to gain control and stay in control.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The art of reefkeeping is to balance Corals and fish load against each other. Those 2 are complementary. But before you get there you need to work on you skills and use the right set of tools to take control.

Once you manage to do that the system runs by itselves with minor monitoring and tweaking... Just like any regulated process used in all production processes.

That is the method i apply.
DSR is just the set of rules and tools to gain control and stay in control.
For sure.

I tend not to be critical of various methods. If they’re grounded scientifically, then they’re all means to an end.

My approach comes in from the opposite angle of hobbyists. I have over 2 dozen reefs I take care of, but they’re not mine. At most, I get 6-8 hours a month with them. At most. That leaves 710+ hours a month were I don’t have any control. My approach (especially since clients always want a ton of fish) has always been to over-filter/over-maintain, and when the coral biomass reaches a certain point, I can then start dialing it all back.

If it were my own tank, I wouldn’t have any issue doing DSR. It’s kind of representative of the general envy I have of hobbyists...I would give anything to be able to have that much control of a tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Rakie, this is what I was talking to you about! Check out the tanks above!

Back