Why is saltwater Better?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard a freshwater planted tank is the final boss, requiring similar complexity with equipment and management theories but requiring much more husbandry thank a reef tank. Clipping plants, as I understand, is a weekly requirement and nothing short of time-intensive.
I mean, kind of? Keeping a planted fw tank is definitely somewhat complex. But I wouldnt compare it to reefing, its basically gardening with an extra variable. Its so much like gardening that a lot of the plants that you could have in a planted tank can also be grown on land. A well kept planted tank is certainly peaceful, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that theres less chores involved in putting a plant in the window sill and the effect is about the same.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater is better because I can spend $500 on a bunch of colorful sticks that if I look at wrong will turn white and die! Jk! But seriously polyp extension on all corals and the way they move in the current just makes saltwater better.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to an LFS, I often hear why is saltwater better than freshwater or is it better?

Saltwater is unique and brings a piece of the ocean into your home. It offers various forms of life, unique colors and a challenge as many of us are up for a challenge.
Many think of us as crazy for getting into the hobby and perhaps so but we have our reasons for pursuing this great Hobby.

What is your take on FW Versus Saltwater?
I think they are similar. I currently only have a freshwater discus tank - I guess it's less work - though saltwater doesn't have to be a lot of work either

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had freshwater tanks growing up and then one of my own for about 3 years. While freshwater has similar challenges and rewards of keeping fish and inverts thriving, I prefer the variety of livestock and specific chemistry challenges of keeping a saltwater aquarium.

Plus the "wow factor" when someone comes over and sees the tank, and I even have a really basic tank compared to many members on this site.

Perhaps I'll try to set up a new freshwater tank or vivarium and bring some green to the current blue room

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the extras...fw fish vs fowlr is comparable. Start adding coral and planted, you start to introduce complexity.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean, kind of? Keeping a planted fw tank is definitely somewhat complex. But I wouldnt compare it to reefing, its basically gardening with an extra variable. Its so much like gardening that a lot of the plants that you could have in a planted tank can also be grown on land. A well kept planted tank is certainly peaceful, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that theres less chores involved in putting a plant in the window sill and the effect is about the same.
Interesting. Admittedly I'm just regurgitating things I've recalled hearing on reefing channels. If someone such as yourself has first hand comparison knowledge, I'd certainly defer to that perspective. That's putting aside this is all subjective anyways obviously. But I do know I don't personally get hands in my tank too often. That'd be my biggest comparison point I think.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Admittedly I'm just regurgitating things I've recalled hearing on reefing channels. If someone such as yourself has first hand comparison knowledge, I'd certainly defer to that perspective. That's putting aside this is all subjective anyways obviously. But I do know I don't personally get hands in my tank too often. That'd be my biggest comparison point I think.
Im definitely not knocking it. A garden tank with a couple fish in it is really very nice looking and the entry point is a whole lot cheaper than reefing. Params are important but theres no need to go crazy with them at all. Give them nutrients and if theres a heavy plant load you have to dose co2, and mow the "lawn" once a week, thats about it. But if you arent the type of person that loves gardening you wont enjoy it for very long. Like some people don't like woodworking, but others find it incredibly relaxing. It's that sort of thing.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept freshwater fish all my life. Saltwater fish are just beautiful and have so much more personality than freshwater fish for the most part. I do miss freshwater angels, those are fun! But I wouldnt to back to freshwater after having beautiful saltwater fish

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept freshwater fish all my life. Saltwater fish are just beautiful and have so much more personality than freshwater fish for the most part. I do miss freshwater angels, those are fun! But I wouldnt to back to freshwater after having beautiful saltwater fish
why-not-both-why-not.gif

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to an LFS, I often hear why is saltwater better than freshwater or is it better?

Saltwater is unique and brings a piece of the ocean into your home. It offers various forms of life, unique colors and a challenge as many of us are up for a challenge.
Many think of us as crazy for getting into the hobby and perhaps so but we have our reasons for pursuing this great Hobby.

What is your take on FW Versus Saltwater?
Because it's better, next question please

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rest of the hobbyists in my family are all on the FW side. They're put off from SW because of the level of maintenance. They're also more concerned with how pretty their tanks look in their living rooms and the "WOW" factor when someone is viewing. I think I care a bit less about that, I'm more concerned with how robust of an ecosystem I got going in my one cubic foot of ocean.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things are true:

(1) both can be equally beautiful
(2) I hate water changes

I still haven't figured out a way to keep freshwater without water changes so I don't keep one, although I would love a African cichlid tank.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Two things are true:

(1) both can be equally beautiful
(2) I hate water changes

I still haven't figured out a way to keep freshwater without water changes so I don't keep one, although I would love a African cichlid tank.
African especially Lake Malawi can be basic with many cool colors and fish ready to breed. Offer plenty of tocks for hiding and driftwood for low acidity. Seachem has cichlid salt additive which conditions the water.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was looking into fresh vs. saltwater I saw the crazy colors possible with saltwater and heard that it was more niche, more expensive, and a lot of people quit within the first year. I figured out quickly that saltwater was likely the better hobby for me!

That said, I appreciate the artistry and care of the show quality freshwater planted tanks! Those look much more painful to maintain given the growth rate of those plants in those systems.

novasive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they both have their places and neither is better than the other. There are some truly beautiful planted tanks with just as much if not more planning in the aquascape. Both hobbies can be as easy or difficult if you want them to be.
This was perfectly said. I cannot agree anymore..

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back