will 90deg pipe stop water?

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i’m wondering if a 90degree angle pipe angled upwards will stop water from the overflow from exiting out from the 90degree pipe and flow the opposite way.

it sounds really weird but i want to be able to connect multiple overflow pipes from future tanks and into one centralized sump.

here’s a picture to help.

E61BD18F-15B5-4B14-8270-D1DAE736F1E8.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, end caps will solve your issue, you can even get threaded ones to make things easier. I would however caution you with your setup, make sure if you're doing this you make the main return line 3+" in size, adding multiple drains into one line creates a large choke point and if it's not ridiculously oversized you risk it clogging at somepoint and flooding your setup.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, end caps will solve your issue, you can even get threaded ones to make things easier. I would however caution you with your setup, make sure if you're doing this you make the main return line 3+" in size, adding multiple drains into one line creates a large choke point and if it's not ridiculously oversized you risk it clogging at somepoint and flooding your setup.
the 3 bean animal pipes are 3/4” while each overflow handles 1200gph at most. i plan to connect six 55g (same specs, overflows and all). i originally planned to merge the 3/4” pipes to one 2” pipe. would i really need a 3” one?

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could put a union ball valve on the elbow and just shut the valve.

83AD466A-3E12-4BAA-B254-7C5F921A8DD7.jpeg
i was originally thinking of this but i wanted something i could just cut out after 3 or 4 months. maybe i will use these if primer doesn’t settle within a few hours

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back