Will activated carbon change water chemistry?

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon removes essential nutrients from the aquarium water: Whether the activated carbon removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from the water column or not has always been one of the most heated discussions among the hobbyists. While some believe that adding filtration system with activated carbon traps the minerals and disturbs the water chemistry, some firmly believes that it does not create any trouble to the nutrients and can be added to new and struggling aquariums. At the same time, it is believed that activated carbon also removes trace nutrients and no matter how much fertilizers or boosters you add, they will probably get filtered out.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will activated carbon change water chemistry? Particularly calcium, magnesiu, trace elements?
It removes dissolved organics from the tank.

It does not affect any of the Major elements that are required by the tank.

Most folks run it continuously (I've run it continuously for over 40 years in all types of tanks) with no negative effects, only positive benefits.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon removes essential nutrients from the aquarium water: Whether the activated carbon removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from the water column or not has always been one of the most heated discussions among the hobbyists. While some believe that adding filtration system with activated carbon traps the minerals and disturbs the water chemistry, some firmly believes that it does not create any trouble to the nutrients and can be added to new and struggling aquariums. At the same time, it is believed that activated carbon also removes trace nutrients and no matter how much fertilizers or boosters you add, they will probably get filtered out.
This is just plain nonsense.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get this from?? That's not entirely accurate :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about activated carbon and found this on google. But right now i understand that it was nonsense.
The joy about the internet! ;) Thanks for pitching in though, it's a forum for learning and contributing to the debate is always welcome!

Happy reefing! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this some chat gpt nonsense?
Not only is it factually wrong it’s super poorly written.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back