Will adding wood panels help with rust proof?

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could paint the metal surfaces with a product called Por-15 it is utilized in the automotive industry as a rust converter and would probably hold up pretty well. Just don't get it on your skin will take months to come off. You could also look into other epoxy type coatings these would have good rust resistance.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could paint the metal surfaces with a product called Por-15 it is utilized in the automotive industry as a rust converter and would probably hold up pretty well. Just don't get it on your skin will take months to come off. You could also look into other epoxy type coatings these would have good rust resistance.
I can apply it straight to the metal surface and leave to dry?

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to hit the painted surface with something like 80-100 grit sand paper so it has a little better adhesion but that shouldn't take too long based on the pictures of the bench. Than yes it can be brushed or rolled on. You may want to look into Eastwood Rust Encapsulator version it's probably cheaper than POR. Not certain on that anymore though you will have to look into pricing.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to hit the painted surface with something like 80-100 grit sand paper so it has a little better adhesion but that shouldn't take too long based on the pictures of the bench. Than yes it can be brushed or rolled on. You may want to look into Eastwood Rust Encapsulator version it's probably cheaper than POR. Not certain on that anymore though you will have to look into pricing.
sweet! Thank you for the help!

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem you may also be able to do a vinyl wrap but if you scratched a hole in it or had a gap where water could get through it would eventually rust.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also just snag a can of clear rustoleum also while you're at home depot ;) probably all that's needed unless you're really messy lol. Sorry to keep adding... Got me thinking about it

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also just snag a can of clear rustoleum also while you're at home depot ;) probably all that's needed unless you're really messy lol. Sorry to keep adding... Got me thinking about it
not a bad idea!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back