"Will be hard to sell with that much QT required"

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to post this. I introduced a juvenile Regal to a display tank that has an existing juvenile Asfur. The Asfur wasn't nice to the Regal. Both had gone through the QT protocol but at different times with CP and Prazipro using the Humblefish method and both look superb!

I am keeping the Regal and posted the Asfur for sale locally here in Houston. One interested person said they would pay less than half of what I was asking since my price was the same as the local fish stores. When I explained the QT method used over 6 weeks compared to a short time at the store in copper water, the response was "You are going to have a hard time selling that fish since it needed that much time in quarantine".

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wouldn’t pay more for qt and don’t care if qt was done or not.

The person you were corresponding with was just trying to talk you into a low ball offer.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, he is just trying to get a good deal from you. On average regardless of QT I typically see fish listed privately for prices less than a LFS. Just food for thought when trying to sell fish.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, only those that lost a ton of fish to a disease will know the true value of your QTed fish Mandarin. I still think you got a shot of putting the asfur in extended QT time to just chill out and a couple months down the road, reintroduce him to the tank with other new fish at the same time and you'll be alright.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think you got a shot of putting the asfur in extended QT time to just chill out and a couple months down the road, reintroduce him to the tank with other new fish at the same time and you'll be alright.
That is a very good idea ! The timeout method has worked for me.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good idea ! The timeout method has worked for me.
Higher population of fish helps too... Then nobody has a territory to defend. Worked with my angels and with my tangs before that. I heard its a cichlid trick but never kept freshwater.

Anyways, Mandarin, keep fighting the good fight and tell the buyer to move on.
9ca9d4fcbd61115117eb78c08004b253.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I explained the QT method used over 6 weeks compared to a short time at the store in copper water, the response was "You are going to have a hard time selling that fish since it needed that much time in quarantine".

I wish luck to whoever this hobbyist is. I personally feel that at the very least, all fish should be QTed for a month. My personal preference is to not medicate unless necessary, so my QTs end up being pretty long. My six line was in QT for 6 months, although that's more because I was lazy and she was doing well in QT, so I was in no rush.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with chipmunk. I'll observe,adjust salinity etc. won't treat unless I see a need.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with chipmunk. I'll observe,adjust salinity etc. won't treat unless I see a need.
I've adjusted to that these days too. The only thing I run prophylactically these days is prazipro. Every fish gets prazipro but only after they start eating first.

Everything else I treat as I see it.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to post this. I introduced a juvenile Regal to a display tank that has an existing juvenile Asfur. The Asfur wasn't nice to the Regal. Both had gone through the QT protocol but at different times with CP and Prazipro using the Humblefish method and both look superb!

I am keeping the Regal and posted the Asfur for sale locally here in Houston. One interested person said they would pay less than half of what I was asking since my price was the same as the local fish stores. When I explained the QT method used over 6 weeks compared to a short time at the store in copper water, the response was "You are going to have a hard time selling that fish since it needed that much time in quarantine".

That's one of those times in life you simply say "Bless your heart Timmy" and walk away.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back