Will either of these work for gluing together Acclimation box?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my own DIY acrylic acclimation box from clear 1/8” acrylic from Home Depot. It will be 36” L x 7”D x 14”H. Will either of these glues work or do I have to order that weld-on stuff? Not going for anything professionally to resell. Just something that will hold together for 7-10 days inside my tank for a foxface and maybe a trigger or two to acclimate in.
E982AB2E-B505-4DEA-8A12-09D9E6685E4F.jpeg

I also have this but I only have about a half bottle of it left.
0D043305-97DD-448F-8AA7-81518369FCC8.jpeg

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one would probably work but I would just order some weld on #4. It’s really easy to use and there are a lot of things you can make for your tank. I’ve made a ton of top down viewing boxes for myself and friends.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have first-hand experience, but my understanding of acrylics is that you should not use an adhesive or glue, but rather an acrylic solvent.

Glues/adhesives will not adhere as well as a solvent that chemically bonds the pieces together.

Now, if the risk of the acclimation box falling apart and releasing the foxface earlier than intended is worthwhile for you to take rather than buying a proper solvent, it may work with super glue if you abrade the bonding surfaces first.

@fishguy242 & @Eagle_Steve & @Joe Glass Cages should be able to give better insight into acrylic bonding, as they have answered some of my questions in the past.

Also, you have a more permanent acclimation box for reuse if you go ahead with the solvent up-front.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree ,weld on, 4 ?? 16 will work just fine, watch out for the fumes !! you'll wake up with a glaze on your eyes... ;)
don't ask how i know...:rolleyes::)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 45 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back