Will it hold or should I add center supports? Placing IM 15 on top. Not sure how weight transfer through plywood works.

ocellarisoasis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4238.jpeg
IMG_4242.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpeg

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 15 gallon tank that weights maybe 150 lbs? It is massively overbuilt. No you do not need a center support.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 15 gallon tank that weights maybe 150 lbs? It is massively overbuilt. No you do not need a center support.
I agree, just by looking at it. Most stands are way over engineered. Honestly, has anyone even seen a thread that started with, ”My stand just collapsed….”. And most pet store stands are made out of pressboard?!?!

The weight is largely coming straight down, and your 2x4 vertical supports under the horizontal 2x4’s will more than hold a 15 gallon tank.

I would definitely have done it differently, mostly to hide the screws in the front. However your build seems (by just looking at it) to be structurally sound, and nicely done.

I am an armature woodworker, but I enjoy building stands. If you or anyone needs help feel free to post here or message me, I’d love to help people build stands :)

Long story short, I think you’re fine ;-)

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a deck on it with 3/4 ply. You have to support the entire bottom on those AIO's. But other than that, that stand will hold up my cousin Summer after a trip to golden corral.
This is a great idea! Adding a plywood top would tie it all together nicely.

And just a simple trick that I’ve mentioned in the past and has worked for me…. if you or anyone one you know weighs +/- 200 pounds or so, just have them sit on your stand. I know this sounds hack, but do it, and you’ll be able to *feel* if it’s totally solid, or just barely up to the task.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea! Adding a plywood top would tie it all together nicely.

And just a simple trick that I’ve mentioned in the past and has worked for me…. if you or anyone one you know weighs +/- 200 pounds or so, just have them sit on your stand. I know this sounds hack, but do it, and you’ll be able to *feel* if it’s totally solid, or just barely up to the task.
Like say, a nice rug? Tie the room together?

OP
OP
O

ocellarisoasis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, just by looking at it. Most stands are way over engineered. Honestly, has anyone even seen a thread that started with, ”My stand just collapsed….”. And most pet store stands are made out of pressboard?!?!

The weight is largely coming straight down, and your 2x4 vertical supports under the horizontal 2x4’s will more than hold a 15 gallon tank.

I would definitely have done it differently, mostly to hide the screws in the front. However your build seems (by just looking at it) to be structurally sound, and nicely done.

I am an armature woodworker, but I enjoy building stands. If you or anyone needs help feel free to post here or message me, I’d love to help people build stands :)

Long story short, I think you’re fine ;-)
Thank you and everyone for the replies! Feel a lot more confident in the build.

I originally built the stand for a 40 breeder. This was before I knew anything about countersink bits and wood putty. Would’ve made the presentation much nicer.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all!

Forgive my prior critique of the screws showing, it looks just fine and most importantly looks strong.

if the screws genuinely bother you, I have two suggests off the top of my head. One would be, if you used wood glue on your joints in addition to the screws (and it’s best practice to use glue), the glue will hold things together allowing you to back out the screws, countersink the hole, drive the screws back in, and fill the hole with filler or putty (or a slurry of wood glue and sawdust <pro tip).

Or, what a lot of people do is take their 2x4 frame and wrap it in some thin plywood, like 1/4”, or finished panel boards and now you have a closed in cabinet stand that arguable looks nice than the 2x4 frame. Add some purchased or simple shop made doors, hardware like hinges and pulls, and some trim and you can wind up with something very nice indeed. just depends on how far you want to take it, and the look you want with your final project.

Please post again if you have further questions, i’d be happy to try and help.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back