Will my gigantea catch my clown larvae?

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns lay eggs on a tile which I can remove. The tile is right under the clowns' blue carpet. If i use a larvae trap instead of tile removal, will the gig end up eating the larvae when they hatch?

Thanks!
Jamie

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns lay eggs on a tile which I can remove. The tile is right under the clowns' blue carpet. If i use a larvae trap instead of tile removal, will the gig end up eating the larvae when they hatch?

Thanks!
Jamie
Certainly is possible. Most remove the surface the eggs are on just before hatching to rear in a separate system. Tons of info on rearing clowns out there. Congratulations on the spawn and best of luck with the rearing.

OP
OP
jamie1210

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unfortunately whenever I remove the tile,the gig gets upset bc it likes to plant it's foot right next to the tile. Then it starts moving, which then in turn upsets the clowns enough to delay their next "scheduled" spawning event.

I figured if I didn't lift the tile out and just used a larvae trap all will be well. Forgot to account for the carpet men!

Thanks for the tip!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have any experience regarding larvae catching of giganteas but the sister species magnifica definitely will catch the larvae. I found that out the hard way when I removed my percula's eggs with the ceramic dish on which also their magnifica sits. The larvae hatched but because of the limited water volume and flow pattern in the larvae tank the magnifica caught most of the larvae, swallowed them, and ultimately spit them out as a ball...
I would think gigantea is rather worse than better.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unfortunately whenever I remove the tile,the gig gets upset bc it likes to plant it's foot right next to the tile. Then it starts moving, which then in turn upsets the clowns enough to delay their next "scheduled" spawning event.

I figured if I didn't lift the tile out and just used a larvae trap all will be well. Forgot to account for the carpet men!

Thanks for the tip!

Do you have 2 or more similar tiles so that you can just swap them out?

OP
OP
jamie1210

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have any experience regarding larvae catching of giganteas but the sister species magnifica definitely will catch the larvae. I found that out the hard way when I removed my percula's eggs with the ceramic dish on which also their magnifica sits. The larvae hatched but because of the limited water volume and flow pattern in the larvae tank the magnifica caught most of the larvae, swallowed them, and ultimately spit them out as a ball...
I would think gigantea is rather worse than better.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I think gigantea would be way worse w/consuming larvae. Darn it. I purchased the Vossen Larvae trap thinking it would make the process easier. I guess not!

Do you have 2 or more similar tiles so that you can just swap them out?

That's actually exactly what I do. As soon as I drop the tile with eggs into the hatch tank, I quickly reglue a new, identical tile back. I *swear* that it's in the same spot as the previous tile. But my gigantea begs to differ! I appreciate the suggestion though!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larvae trap should work fine. You may just have to turn off the flow pumps.
In the display tank the anemone should not catch many larvae, usually tje parents make sure of that.
In my case I had the eggs and the anemone moved to the larvae tank and there the larvae had no chance as the flow was directed at the nest (and the anemone)...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 75 29.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back