Will the reef tank be a money pit regardless which route I take?

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the intent of purchasing the Waterbox 20 as my first saltwater reef tank, but after listening to people say to go bigger, I am down to these options:

WaterBox 20 (20 Gallons)
Marine X 35.1 (22 Gallons)
Marine X 60.2 (36 Gallons)
Marine X 90.3 (59.3 Gallons)

I'm the type of person to spend more money upfront with the intent of everything running easier and better and enjoying this hobby more. I was so close to purchasing the Marcine X 90.3 because it would look perfect in this spot in our house but then I watched this video on costs (He ends up spending over $4k and he only purchased a tank used for $250) and I'm having doubts. If I spend $3k on the system, now my electric bill will go up, water bill goes up, etc. and that doesn't include livestock. Should I go back to the WaterBox 20 or will it be a money pit regardless of which route I take?

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the intent of purchasing the Waterbox 20 as my first saltwater reef tank, but after listening to people say to go bigger, I am down to these options:

WaterBox 20 (20 Gallons)

I'm the type of person to spend more money upfront with the intent of everything running easier and better and enjoying this hobby more. I was so close to purchasing the Marcine X 90.3 because it would look perfect in this spot in our house but then I watched this video on costs (He ends up spending over $4k and he only purchased a tank used for $250) and I'm having doubts. If I spend $3k on the system, now my electric bill will go up, water bill goes up, etc. and that doesn't include livestock. Should I go back to the WaterBox 20 or will it be a money pit regardless of which route I take?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I am so proud of you for asking this question and again so proud of the many folks who readily admit that this is a money pit hobby. Having a reef is better than a dog, a significant other, or a dangerous drug addiction, so don't worry about the money just enjoy the ride!

danger zone GIF

Upvote 0

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tank (sr120), new stand(Marineland modified) used lights (g4 radions) new this could be around 7.5k with all the bells and whistles. How much did I spend? 2100$ pieced it together. All about what you make it and how reef save you can be. Nothing wrong with used stuff long as its cared for. It can be a money pit from time to time sure but its worth it.

Attachments

• 16269907051237328981598800617770.jpg
    16269907051237328981598800617770.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Save yourself the pain and buy the 320 gallon now. $6000 is nothing compared to what you're gonna be spending ;)
$6k is nothing in this hobby, hell I do $6k coral orders. Collector coral isn’t cheap!

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WaterBox 20 (20 Gallons)

+1 vote - 'just do it' - Nike

If it would look PERFECT in a spot in your home, then you should get Marcine X 90.3 that you had been close to getting.

If you listen to all of us, then you'll have everyone giving too many opinions - at work I call this 'Analysis Paralysis' as we can spin and get nothing done.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Upvote 0

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re new to saltwater my opinion is to a start with a smaller AIO tank and see if you enjoy the hobby before getting a larger and more expensive tank.

A smaller AIO like the WB 20 can end up costing around $1000 for the tank, light pumps and powerheads, rocks, and a fish or two. This does not include buying a a stand, RODI unit or RODI water from LFS, salt, testing equipment, corals, gloves, fish food, electricity, etc…

Ongoing costs for a smaller tank mainly include electricity, salt, and food. There isn’t much room for fish or corals in a 20 - 30g. This can actually be a good thing since you won’t be tempted to spend thousands on corals or fish. Electricity will probably cost $10 - $15 a month max for this size of tank depending on your rates.

A smaller tank will limit spending and let you get your feet wet without breaking the bank.

Larger tanks can definitely become money pits. I have a new “car” in my living room if that gives you an idea on how much that tank has cost so far.

On a side note, I had a WB 20 and I didn’t care for the single overflow design or the cube shape. I recommend a Nuvo 20 or Nuvo 30 for that size range.

Upvote 0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WaterBox 20 (20 Gallons)

Truthfully those IMO are all small tanks...nothing over 75 or even 100 gallons :D .

You have a lot of good advice already. Your electric bill and probably water bill wont be crazy with any of those sizes.

Most of your fish options will be about the same with those sizes, maybe a few more options with the bigger size. Maintenance costs shouldn't be crazy like salt and additives. You would save on rock with a smaller tank, but depending on the route you go like buying live rock, with shipping and such might as well got bigger.

Corals, well the little frag disks will fill out the 20 quicker that the 59, so you could save money there.

For comparison my old 38 gallon with sump in 2000 with lots of DIY was around $1500 startup, mostly softies and LPS, corals were cheap back then and filled out the tank quick.

I did a recent cost of my current setup, a 29 with sump with typical gear, RO/DI, ATO, basic controllers, with rock and sand, NO corals or fish, cost around $2000.

Upvote 0

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You WILL spend more money than you intend, it’s just how this hobby works!

I only intended to spend around $500 on my 29g for the first month or so, but I’ve already spent well over $1.3k. :oops:;Greedy

It is better to buy quality equipment to begin with, rather than buy the cheap stuff and have it break later. (Costing you more money!)

Upvote 1

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 70 gallon 3 foot tank and I love it- but I’m still feeling like my only regret is that I didn’t go bigger. Yes it would have been more expensive but there’s also no rush. Do things at your own pace. You’re probably not going to put coral in it until 6 months after you start and no one is forcing you to spend 6 grand on coral. You can add coral slowly, a frag here and there. The fun part of the hobby is to watch the coral grow!

Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant gratification can impact your budget. I shop the buy 3 get 1 free section at my lfs. But my mindset is that my tank will be where I want it in a year or two, not next month.

Upvote 0

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont be fooled, this hobby can be as expensive or as cheap as you want with great success either way!

Personally for you first tank I would try pickup a used tank if your DIY savvy and reseal it.

Other then that you can go cheap black box LED light, do some research but most will grow coral and there super simple to use. Dont need the most expensive wave makers or returns!

Dont watch BRS tv honestly leave that for the advanced hobbyist they are not beginner friendly.

Watch someone like tidal gardens or Mr saltwater tank, they have the most simple explanations and have full step by step guides.

I have solar panels and my most powerdamanding equipment runs during the day, this helps cut cost.

Dont get court up in dosing extra stuff, just do water changes at the start and when meeded just dose some simple alk, calc, mag and your tank will thrive.

You make this hobby as expensive as you want!

There are plenty of corals with no names that look just as good, to stock your tank on the cheaper side as well. Heck i sometimes buy those browned out corals for dirt cheap and bring them back to life!

Upvote 0

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You WILL spend more money than you intend, it’s just how this hobby works!

I only intended to spend around $500 on my 29g for the first month or so, but I’ve already spent well over $1.3k. :oops:;Greedy

It is better to buy quality equipment to begin with, rather than buy the cheap stuff and have it break later. (Costing you more money!)
Whilst agree with the first part as we do end up spending more then intended, its almost like an addiction haha.

Price does not determine quality by any means, price can include and disclude features, just because somthing is cheaper doesnt mean its not of quality. More expensive and quality get thrown around to much "dont fall for the marketing hype".

Upvote 0

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst agree with the first part as we do end up spending more then intended, its almost like an addiction haha.

Price does not determine quality by any means, price can include and disclude features, just because somthing is cheaper doesnt mean its not of quality. More expensive and quality get thrown around to much "dont fall for the marketing hype".
Notice how I said “quality equipment”, not “expensive equipment”.
.. ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont be fooled, this hobby can be as expensive or as cheap as you want with great success either way!

Personally for you first tank I would try pickup a used tank if your DIY savvy and reseal it.

Other then that you can go cheap black box LED light, do some research but most will grow coral and there super simple to use. Dont need the most expensive wave makers or returns!

Dont watch BRS tv honestly leave that for the advanced hobbyist they are not beginner friendly.

Watch someone like tidal gardens or Mr saltwater tank, they have the most simple explanations and have full step by step guides.

I have solar panels and my most powerdamanding equipment runs during the day, this helps cut cost.

Dont get court up in dosing extra stuff, just do water changes at the start and when meeded just dose some simple alk, calc, mag and your tank will thrive.

You make this hobby as expensive as you want!

There are plenty of corals with no names that look just as good, to stock your tank on the cheaper side as well. Heck i sometimes buy those browned out corals for dirt cheap and bring them back to life!
Thanks. The Mr Saltwater videos are great.

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to keep cost down. You can either spend $2000 on leds or $600 T5 fixture + bulbs. Could spend $800 on 2x MP40 for water flow or could spend $200 on 2x Jabeo wave makers. Same goes for return pump.

cheaper equipment won’t stop you from being successful or keeping finicky acros.

This. You don’t need to go new or top of the line on any of the equipment.

The more you want things to be automated, the more it’s going to cost you. If you want to save money, it can be done though, just take a look at my build thread for an extremely budget friendly option.

This doesn’t include livestock or consumable supplies, but here’s my equipment list and what it cost me this year:
Used 46 gallon bowfront, stand and T5 36” two bulb light fixture: $100
Current USA LED lights with two light bars: free from friend who was upgrading
New glass lid: $60
2x hydor powerheads: $90
2x aqueon preset 200w heaters: $35
Inkbird temp controller: $28
Fluval 407 canister filter: $150
Spray bar for canister output: $30
Maxspect nano sphere bio media: $50
50lb dry rock: $95
40lb live sand: $30
Green killing machine 24w UV: $90
RO Buddie RO/DI system: $60
Refractometer: $20
tds meter: $25
Cheapo powerhead for mixing saltwater: $15
Salifert test kits (calcium, alk, pH, nitrate, mag, copper, phos): $100
10 gallon tank and HOB filter with 50w heater and ammonia badge for QT: $60

None of those thing are the best equipment out there. But they do the job. The prices I have listed are often less than retail by shopping on eBay, Amazon, or sales and coupons at Petco. The lights I got as a hand me down from a friend are growing softies, zoas, frogspawn and hammers just fine even though lots of people here scoff at them and insist they are garbage. The powerheads aren’t programmable, but with them aimed at each other and the spray bar, my flow is pretty random. My RO/DI system is slow, I have to mix saltwater in 5 gallon buckets, and I top of my system with RO water every other day. But it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than an ATO system and bigger mixing station. My canister filter needs to be cleaned every other weekend or it’s a nutrient factory, but I researched which canister filter is easiest to clean so that’s no big deal.

This hobby isn’t cheap, but you don’t have to spend a fortune like lots of people here do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back