Will this frame support 40 gallon breeder

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for opinions . I built the frame a little different to accommodate a 20 gallon long sump. I'll be able to pull it out if needed from the front

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. From what I've heard it's easy to go overboard with 2 by 4s . I'll be putting in more 2 1/2 deck screws to tie it up more

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with KorL, it is strong enough. If possible, you might want to add a plywood back when you skin it, unless this is part of your plan when you skin it. The back prevents the stand from racking, top moving right or left while bottom remains. Think of leaning tower of Pisa. The plywood does not have to be very thick and you can leave some space open for the plumbing. It just provides additional support. The skinning of the sides will work to prevent forward/backward racking.

ridawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a good reef keeper but I am a wood worker and you will be more than fine with that

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this a little high at 44 in tall which is a concern but I am now thinking of a possible shelf to store lightweight things . Tons of ideas goin on in my head. Looking toward to the upcoming three day weekend to mess around with it some more:) I'm loving the not having to bend down as much to get a good look while standing. Time for a stool to reach in

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. how did you attach them to the frame? Never heard of flooring like that but after a quick search it seems to come in a lot of colors. Nice sump . I just got 4 baffles cut and plan to set them up the same way

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May sound funny but i had left over pergo laminate flooring and that what i skinned my stand with just and idea!
017.jpg

037 (2).jpg

I love the return setup thinking about doing that to mine to add flow back in to the refug and allow me to run the return pump at a higher capacity looks sweet :)
I also use the same djstrip but 2 of my switches stopped working within days of installing one stays on and 1 stays off guess I could have taken it back but oh well lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use polyseal not liquid nails.

Odysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx guys! I just screwed the planks were the base and top molding was gonna go so they could be hidden by the molding. It worked out for me cause i live in an apartment with not backyard access and didnt want to use stains and ploy cause of the smell.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2"x4" are plenty strong enough to hold the weight but I would be worried about lateral support. All of your 2"x4" are turned the same direction I would add at least two in the opposite direction or use plywood to keep it from racking.

Odysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think with water weight and rocks and sand you would top out at about 375/400lbs. Only thing i would do is put a plywood top to disperse the weight. i built my stand 2 years ago and its very similar to yours but i used 2x3.

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kateater . I plan on adding 2x4s in the front and back and sides in the middle of the stand to help with lateral support. This could also give me a chance to put a small cabinet are for items above the sump cabinet

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odysi. Thank you. Definitely adding a plywood top. Lol I would have gone with 2x3s had I seen them at Home Depot. I debated trying 1x4s to keep the weight of the stand down

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2"x4" are plenty strong enough to hold the weight but I would be worried about lateral support. All of your 2"x4" are turned the same direction I would add at least two in the opposite direction or use plywood to keep it from racking.
Hope fully these 2x4s will help prevent racking . Also I hope my idea works out to ad an upper shelf .

image.jpeg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back