Will this frame support 40 gallon breeder

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope fully these 2x4s will help prevent racking . Also I hope my idea works out to ad an upper shelf .

image.jpeg
They should but if you stood them up in the corners going the opposite direction it would be more stable. Shouldn't have any issue since it's a 40G

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope fully these 2x4s will help prevent racking . Also I hope my idea works out to ad an upper shelf .

image.jpeg
They should but if you stood them up in the corners going the opposite direction it would be more stable. Shouldn't have any issue since it's a 40G

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the feed back :)
In the future when it's time to go 100 gal plus I'm definitely gonna go with 3/4 plywood all the way around. Sounds a little harder but worth it

Odysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also miter some 45ed pieces for the corners to help with stability and racking. I built a 120g stand for a friend just doubled up the corners and added more cross bracing and skinned with 1/2" birch ply for the finish.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feed back :)
In the future when it's time to go 100 gal plus I'm definitely gonna go with 3/4 plywood all the way around. Sounds a little harder but worth it
It's not that hard to use plywood. I make my stands using 90% plywood and just build a frame to hide the exposed edges. Just use screws and wood glue to join all your seams.

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that hard to use plywood. I make my stands using 90% plywood and just build a frame to hide the exposed edges. Just use screws and wood glue to join all your seams.

I've definitely been hit by the wood bug. Used glue and filler for the first time and actually enjoyed the math aspect.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely been hit by the wood bug. Used glue and filler for the first time and actually enjoyed the math aspect.
Woodworking is a new hobby of mine and absolutely love it. If you have the $ buy a router and router table. That and a table saw you can build anything. Here are a few of my projects.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Steadyreef42

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely on my agenda for the right tools. What took me 3 literal days with a circular saw I'm sure would have taken half of one . My wife has already hinted at a new dresser for the kids since she thinks I can build sturdy furniture now :)

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely on my agenda for the right tools. What took me 3 literal days with a circular saw I'm sure would have taken half of one . My wife has already hinted at a new dresser for the kids since she thinks I can build sturdy furniture now :)
That's how I lured my wife into letting me buy the new tools. Lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back