Will this overflow plan work? Two tanks down and up to sump.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two coral grow out tanks, joined with a 3 inch PVC pipe (to allow grazing tangs to access both tanks), and also to create redundancy. Both standpipes will have teeth and are exactly the same height for surface skimming.

By routing the tank from the left under the one on the right... I can push the tanks against the wall and still have access to all the plumbing.

It's in the basement, so noise is not really a concern.

Any problems with this setup that you guys can think of?

1577570184458.png

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two coral grow out tanks, joined with a 3 inch PVC pipe (to allow grazing tangs to access both tanks), and also to create redundancy. Both standpipes will have teeth and are exactly the same height for surface skimming.

By routing the tank from the left under the one on the right... I can push the tanks against the wall and still have access to all the plumbing.

1577570184458.png
Why put drains in each tank? Just put all drains in the right tank and pump water to the left. Why up and over the sump instead of straight down?

Also, I don't see tangs using a 3" pipe for long. Maybe some of the smaller species, but I'd probably go larger. Easier said than done. I'd also want Springerii Damsels (flat worm eaters) and wrasses (bug eaters) in a frag tank that will see a lot of coral in and out. Of course the wrasse creates an issue with needing sand.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or something like this which is what I use. One siphon and one standpipe. That way I don't get foaming. These drain strait down. They are separate though. This allows me to exactly set the water depth for my skimmer by changing standpipes.
IMG_1156-X2.jpg

You can get strainers if you are concerned about fish
IMG_1690-M.jpg

Ayrity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1577570184458.png
May I ask what you used to draw this? I've been looking for something besides ms paint

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get having the drain in each tank, especially for surface skimming. If only in one tank the other will surely get a film on the surface. I don't particularly see anything that stands out that would be negative.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why put drains in each tank? Just put all drains in the right tank and pump water to the left. Why up and over the sump instead of straight down?

Also, I don't see tangs using a 3" pipe for long. Maybe some of the smaller species, but I'd probably go larger. Easier said than done. I'd also want Springerii Damsels (flat worm eaters) and wrasses (bug eaters) in a frag tank that will see a lot of coral in and out. Of course the wrasse creates an issue with needing sand.

I was going to put all the drains to the right... and i realized there would be no skimming of the surface. I need the surface skimmed for both tanks. I could just angle the balance pipe upward, and make it a surface skimmer - but then I wouldn't have my fish tunnel.

The up and over option allows me to position the height of everything at the exact ergonomically best position. This way, I don't have to have the sump too low.... or the coral tanks too high. I COULD run the plumbing along the back side of the tank. My reef store uses an up down like this.. and they say it keeps the noise down.

The 3" pipe also allows redundancy - if any one or even two of the overflows gets clogged, there is still back up both tanks. I plan on putting baby tangs down here to grow, and when they get big enough... they can go upstairs to the big display tank. The fish tunnel is something I always wanted to try - just for fun. Thanks for the tips on the sump cleaners!

May I ask what you used to draw this? I've been looking for something besides ms paint

I used good old corel draw! Takes a little bit to get the hang of it... but I have been using it for planning stuff for 15 years. Google sketch is great and free, but, 3D and takes me longer to knock out the drawings - as a result.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 56 27.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back