Will this sump design work?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the design I made for a 10 gallon sump. . . . Will this work? Are there any flaws, or design choices you would change???

55781095-A6D2-4511-AF44-7CF4CEA54606.png

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that this won't work. I used more baffles and not a side by side in the front compartment.
On my 10g. I did intake and skimmer. Fuge. And return.
10g sumps work for hiding stuff. Collecting detritus. And such but really lack any room or space. If it's possible I suggest upping the size for volume and ease. Mine was a 20L display with hydro slim skim.
D

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a very similar 10g sump. I didn’t put the bubble trap in mine and I’m glad I left it out. It would have been difficult to build and clean. Otherwise I think it looks good. Are you going to have a skimmer in there, or a refugium?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already build the stand and bought the tank. . . so kinda stuck on the 10 gallon so size. That said, the narrowness does pose problems. I decided the first chamber to force water up through media (bio) that way the middle can be all fuge and heater.

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your heater will fit in there. My heater runs about 75% length of my 10g sump.

I ended up making the refugium section and return pump chamber a single chamber. That way my heater fits. This also keeps my ato from running very often and leaves plenty of room for overflow when the return pump is off.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would really like to change about mine is that the filter pads I use are in the back corner and they are kind of a pain to change. I wish it was in the front.

Also, I don’t actually use the refugium any more. I had chaeto in there for a while, but it eventually died. I’m able to keep my nutrients under control by running my nano skimmer 6 hours a day. I don’t have any nuisance algae in my display. I wish I could grow chaeto to help raise my ph, but at this point it’s not worth the effort.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing I would really like to change about mine is that the filter pads I use are in the back corner and they are kind of a pain to change. I wish it was in the front.

Also, I don’t actually use the refugium any more. I had chaeto in there for a while, but it eventually died. I’m able to keep my nutrients under control by running my nano skimmer 6 hours a day. I don’t have any nuisance algae in my display. I wish I could grow chaeto to help raise my ph, but at this point it’s not worth the effort.
I do plan on using it mostly as a refugium, right now I’m growing chaeto, Pom Pom, shaving brush, and calurpa, some will go in the display though.

my issue is making a baffle with a pass-through/holes. I don’t know if the glass shop would be able to cut slits in the baffle like you see in acrylic. That said my local store sells tank dividers, I could probably just cut a hole for a heater in one of those and it would work to keep the algae out of the pump.

Also, I am hoping that because I’m using a sock it won’t matter that it’s in the back corner, should still be easy to remove and clean. . . Hopefully.

and thanks again for showing your sump, it looks really nice!!!

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheato needs alot of iron and other micro nutritions, when the light setting were good, then are the nutritions the reson

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After some thought, I’ve changed up to the design. This way I can accommodate the heater I want, and I’ll have some modularity. That said I also realized I need mushmore room for the filter sock holder than I thought. I picked this tank divider up from my local store, they make them themselves. Should work, and I guess I could silicon to N if I want, but I like the option of being able to take it out:

also, I think I’ll reverse the baffles before the pump. It seems like this is the more popular style, and it’s the way the eshopps ones are set up.

B6E820EF-A8E4-4EB0-867C-84C47382294F.jpeg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I no longer need any fancy cuts made I decided to go ultra budget and but 8”X10” panels of glass from Home Depot to make my baffles. Unfortunately the inner dimensions of the tank aren’t exactly 10 inches wide. . . So to avoid cutting glass (which I am terrible at, and no longer have the supplies) I just made the baffles slightly angled. Baffles are pretty thin, website said the were 1/8” but package says 2/32”. . . But hopefully with water on both sides it won’t matter.

943BE2DB-E1C7-49E8-A37C-04ECB0744F5E.jpeg

4715D973-05A0-419C-86BD-9E7CCB7F3C7B.jpeg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And now, back to the original design. I found a filter sock holder that will fit in the first design pretty well. I will be flipping the baffle right before the return pump. First chamber will be 8 inches of water, fall 1 inch, middle chamber will be 7 inches of water, and then the last chamber. All baffles will be a maximum of 10 inches tall, so if any chamber overflows it still won’t overflow the tank. Hopefully getting a glass cut next week

Oh and also, heaters pretty much gonna have to be diagonal on the floor of the middle chamber. Not ideal, but I think I’m willing to make the sacrifice

B51D74DB-504B-42D4-B18C-E8B9E4DD7605.jpeg
6ACA4D3A-2C0E-419A-B7F3-5A9E9F154D91.jpeg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 97 41.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back