Will this work for my overflow plumbing setup?

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on my first tank with an overflow and picked up a modular marine overflow. Plumbing the inside pipes around the bulkheads coming in from the tank has been challenging. Would this work for a beananimal style?

Left most is basically impossible to put anything in, so I figure it will be full syphon and just leave it open as is.

Middle is lifted up slightly and then on a 90 to get it out of the way of the bulkhead coming in.

Rightmost is double 90s put together with a small section of pipe sticking up to make it the emergency overflow. Not sure how to judge how high the pipe should be.

dry fit pic:

IMG_0576.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm working on my first tank with an overflow and picked up a modular marine overflow. Plumbing the inside pipes around the bulkheads coming in from the tank has been challenging. Would this work for a beananimal style?

Left most is basically impossible to put anything in, so I figure it will be full syphon and just leave it open as is.

Middle is lifted up slightly and then on a 90 to get it out of the way of the bulkhead coming in.

Rightmost is double 90s put together with a small section of pipe sticking up to make it the emergency overflow. Not sure how to judge how high the pipe should be.

dry fit pic:

IMG_0576.JPG
Not common design but it should

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not common design but it should
Haha, yeah I'm sure this is unusual. Everything i've seen has been the u- shapes or just straight pipes but getting around these bulkheads such that I can glue these in and still screw on the bulkhead nut inside is obnoxious.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah I'm sure this is unusual. Everything i've seen has been the u- shapes or just straight pipes but getting around these bulkheads such that I can glue these in and still screw on the bulkhead nut inside is obnoxious.

I would not glue them in.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dry fit pic:

IMG_0576.JPG
Couple things,
Put a strainer on the main.
The secondary should be maybe 1/2" under the wier(anything underwater or in your box does not have to be glued) leave room to adjust when the tank is wet.
Emergency will be just slightly higher than 2ndary.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd… 3rd… the “don’t glue” suggestion

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not glue them in.
No? I assumed that everyone glued (cemented/welded, whatever you want to call it) these together just like the rest of the plumbing.

That first 90 street elbow on the rightmost is pretty loose without being cemented to the drain bulkhead. That's a fair amount of weight pulling it to the left.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no glue.....

Any desing should work, as long as one is very short, second is as high as it can be, as long its shorter than longest, wich is long as overflow box, minus some clearance from absolute top of of box....

Complicated? Not really... ;)

For me, outside of box is 40cm height. First, main pipe is straight pipe, some 10cm height. Secondary pipe have U elbow, pointing down, so basicaly reverse U. Height is 30cm.

Emergency pipe is 35cm in height, strait pipe.... So, theres 5cm clearance between second and emergency pipe, just to avoid emergency drain for every extra drop of water....

If all hell gets loose, emergency pipe is high enough to not disturb normal silent operation of everflow, but low enough to quickly drain all excess water back to sump

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to glue, its OK if there is very slight leakage, power off, the water is going to drain down to the lowest one anyway. If you want a snugger fit so that elbow doesn't come loose, wrap a layer of Teflon tape around the pipe before install.

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the far left drain as your emergency drain. A straight pvc pipe in front of the bulkhead will be fine. The other two drains will need a an upside down u-shaped connection. Any of those two can be your primary. On the “secondary drain” make sure you drill a small hole on top. If water starts to drain out of your secondary, it will cause a gurgling noise alerting you that something is wrong. Keep the primary drain’s opening about an 1” or so off the bottom. Install a gate valve on the main drain to adjust the flow/gurgle noises. As mentioned by others, do not glue them down. More then likely you will have to make adjustments to the secondary drains height. Keep in mind that the u drains don’t have perfectly aligned, just turn them away from the bulkheads.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back