Winter and Low PH

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand the winter, it gets cold and I am forced to close up the house.....which drops my PH lowere than I would like. I have a plan of attack this year, but wouldn't mind hearing form others how they deal w/ low PH this time of year?

asmashling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say put more flow to the surface and keeping track of Alk and Ca via Balling Light from Fauna Marin. We have it really cold here in switzerland but that helped me in the last two seasons.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand the winter, it gets cold and I am forced to close up the house.....which drops my PH lowere than I would like. I have a plan of attack this year, but wouldn't mind hearing form others how they deal w/ low PH this time of year?

Get a couple of airstones in your sump. If no sump then somewhere where bubbles won't bother anything. Does two things. Drives co2 out of the water and introduces more oxygen into the water column. Fish and corals will be happier

OP
OP
K

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I understand completly how they work and why, I just don't feel they are as effective unless you are keeping a big fuge. For PH yeah opisite light works wonders, but I am not having a big swing over the night. his is completly due to me closing my house for the winter. I am thinking of trying seachems 8.3 in my top off. I have a friend who is doing it this way and it is working reallly well.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even thought it gets cold here in Colorado, I keep the window fan on, exhausting my fish room to the outside. My tank is in the basement so CO2 sinks. The one year I kept the window closed, the pH would drop to 7.7. I will close it up, when it gets uber cold but most of the time I keep it open and exhausting.

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem , but like some said already I run a piece 3/8 plastic hose outside and ran it to the air pick on the skimmer and boom I was back to normal.
Tip: put a piece of foam on the hose outside not to suck anything in.

OP
OP
K

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem , but like some said already I run a piece 3/8 plastic hose outside and ran it to the air pick on the skimmer and boom I was back to normal.
Tip: put a piece of foam on the hose outside not to suck anything in.

Good tip, and I'm glad to hear it worked.

OP
OP
K

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even thought it gets cold here in Colorado, I keep the window fan on, exhausting my fish room to the outside. My tank is in the basement so CO2 sinks. The one year I kept the window closed, the pH would drop to 7.7. I will close it up, when it gets uber cold but most of the time I keep it open and exhausting.

I've lived there, it gets really cold. I am trying to keep the house open, but am being side lined by the other 3 here....who don't give the same thought to my tank that I do. They don't think freezing is okay for the tanks sake (I think it is) and I have been out voted. I think the tank is more than a good reason to freeze, and think they should put on coats. Yeah it's not getting me far.

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem with a closed house and low ph. It's opposite here in Florida. It gets too hot and we have to close up the house to stay cool. After dealing with multiple buffers and water agitation, it made no dent in the low ph. I built a DIY CO2 scrubber and hooked it up to the skimmer. Now I'm at 8.2-8.3 all day long. About 2 years in use and I'm still satisfied with the results.

OP
OP
K

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem with a closed house and low ph. It's opposite here in Florida. It gets too hot and we have to close up the house to stay cool. After dealing with multiple buffers and water agitation, it made no dent in the low ph. I built a DIY CO2 scrubber and hooked it up to the skimmer. Now I'm at 8.2-8.3 all day long. About 2 years in use and I'm still satisfied with the results.

Nice, any chance you'd share you design?

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I have a build thread on anther forum. I'll try cut and paste it for ya.

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High co2 in a home will cause ph to drop....soda lime is the co2 absorbent everyone is referring to...you can buy a five gallon bucket of the stuff for 75.00 online....you can make your own co2 scrubber out of a juice bottle for pennies...I did it duing our hot summer mohs and It worked great...if ya need help building one, let me know and I van walk ya through it...

Conan

OP
OP
K

Kimberlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome, as a new member this is one of the more active usefull forums. Thx, and I'll google it, but will take your ideas too, can't have enough good ideas, they only solve problems (hopefully).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 117 42.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 131 48.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back