Wireless Bridge

Divan_24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my apex n I found an old router at home. It's a netgear wrg616 v6. Is there a way I can use it to connect my.apex wirelessly?

If it's possible,.how can I do it? Thank you

xthunderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is in the title of the thread, you need a wireless bridge. Do you have a more specific questions, perhaps like which wireless bridge to use? If so, I like the Linksys wireless bridge and I've used the trendnet wireless bridge as well.

Wireless bridges will work, but they will never compare to the reliability of a wired connection. FYI.

If you have any more specific questions, just ask, I'll try my best to answer it.

xthunderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it does support it, it's been sitting there for a while and it dies, you'll lose all of your hard work and configs. I guess you can back up the configs, etc., but in the end I'd invest in a wireless bridge device. It's more money upfront, but it protects your investment in time and effort.

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old routers have no real value. If you like messing with things like that, it is not difficult to do. Its been a while since I have looked at my old Buffalo router running the DD-WRT firmware, but from what i remember the bridge setting is basically assign an IP address and select the bridge setting in the firmware. While I'm by no means a network expert, it is pretty amazing how the firmware opens up old commercial grade routers. I noticed on the DD-WRT homepage that Buffalo is now sending the routers with the DD-WRT firmware. I also use one of the Linksys bridges made for game consoles. They are also very easy to setup and am guessing they are fairly inexpensive.

tvoydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

xthunderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Linksys is easier to setup than the netgear, I also prefer dealing with Linksys support. Netgear only supports you for a year, after that you're on your own.

tvoydan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also assume you already have wifi in your house for that to work.

This is generally called a wireless game controller and allows many game consoles to connect over wifi easily and then out to the internet for online gaming. FYI - I tried it with my bluRay player to see if Netflix would run and it was to slow.

I bought a refurbished one myself. And with any chinese electronics, your mileage may vary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back