With all the recent advances in medical technology why cant we get hardcore fish treatments?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With the advent of CRISPR technology and all the advances in genomics that make it possible for people to develop targeted genetic medications in their garages, why are we still battling with ICH and Velvet? These are large organisms with somewhat steady DNA that should be economical to develop drugs for.
Granted I'm just some guy that has no real idea of the costs or development cycle but If the media can freak us out about people developing bio-weapons in their garages, why cant they also talk about the good that can come out of these readily available technologies?

I would gladly pay $100 for a medication on my shelf that would; guaranteed, kill ich and velvet without affecting anything else in the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
From what I read, most of the actual cost for developing medication for people is testing, regulatory hurdles, investor return rates, marketing, government lobbying, lawsuits for other drugs, etc... Without the need to placate large regulatory bodies, testing can be conducted relatively inexpensively.
I am talking about a guy that buys $20-50k of used equipment ((is that a reasonable cost?) I've done zero research)
sets it up in his garage and in his spare time away from his regular job at the drug company figures out how to kill protozoans effectively...
I would think there is a large enough market over 5 years to recoup those costs... word of mouth advertising on this web page would probably get enough crowd-funding pre-orders to cover production costs. Or it'd be a heck of a great scam.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't medications for fish diseases. All we need to do is allow the fish to keep the immunity they came to us with. It is us making the fish sick and medications usually just make it worse by weakening the fishes natural immunity. :)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't medications for fish diseases. All we need to do is allow the fish to keep the immunity they came to us with. It is us making the fish sick and medications usually just make it worse by weakening the fishes natural immunity. :)
Yes, Yes, Yes! It took me some long nights of research but I now realize just how true this is!!!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the advent of CRISPR technology and all the advances in genomics that make it possible for people to develop targeted genetic medications in their garages, why are we still battling with ICH and Velvet? These are large organisms with somewhat steady DNA that should be economical to develop drugs for.
Granted I'm just some guy that has no real idea of the costs or development cycle but If the media can freak us out about people developing bio-weapons in their garages, why cant they also talk about the good that can come out of these readily available technologies?

I would gladly pay $100 for a medication on my shelf that would; guaranteed, kill ich and velvet without affecting anything else in the tank.
because developing that stuff is a multi millon (likely billion) dollar RnD process that is working on one organism, even without the high cost we do not have enough data into every little issue and strain to be able to use genetic treatments. Also idk where you think you can get advanced genetic targeted CRISPR treatments in a garage, most of that stuff is just media overhyping minor little DIY projects with bacteria and ******** itself for viewers as it slowly chokes and dies.

sorry for the rant

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree. Its terrible what we all do. I don't think any organism should be forcefully removed from their natural habitat and made to breed in captivity or kept in cramped quarters with poor food and care.

But we do it so please get off your soap boxes and realize I am not talking about a theoretical ideology or any of that garbage. Don't any one of you talk to me about keeping things in captivity because you all do it. Build up their immunity... Treat them right... Thanks.. I am trying and so are we all. That's not what this thread is about so save it...

We keep fish in captivity. Things go bad and they get sick. I would pay the money. would you?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working ich vaccines have been developed a long time ago. Not sure why they haven't hit the market.

People in the freshwater forums are still struggling to provide a Civil War era level of care to their fish. They still can't use antibiotics effectively...

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural immunity works great against rabies. I think all of 6 people in history have survived it relying on their natural immunity.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Yes, Yes! It took me some long nights of research but I now realize just how true this is!!!
fish have natural immunity, but its not enough all the time especially in our tanks, so meds are sometimes needed (keyword sometimes, do not overdose on meds, and do not never use meds). Kinda like with humans, we will normally be fine, but if you get an infection you need meds. Same with fish

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a way to detect Ich more easily, I dont think itll trickle down to us for a little while though. In time it might, the hobby is (although it may not seem sometimes) decently in the forefront of marine tech and science

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't any one of you talk to me about keeping things in captivity because you all do it
Who is talking to you about keeping things in captivity? As you said, we all do it.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish have natural immunity, but its not enough all the time especially in our tanks, so meds are sometimes needed (keyword sometimes, do not overdose on meds, and do not never use meds). Kinda like with humans, we will normally be fine, but if you get an infection you need meds. Same with fish
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense but those times meds need to be used far less frequently than most use them.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back