With all the recent advances in medical technology why cant we get hardcore fish treatments?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Its terrible what we all do. I don't think any organism should be forcefully removed from their natural habitat and made to breed in captivity or kept in cramped quarters with poor food and care.

But we do it so please get off your soap boxes and realize I am not talking about a theoretical ideology or any of that garbage. Don't any one of you talk to me about keeping things in captivity because you all do it. Build up their immunity... Treat them right... Thanks.. I am trying and so are we all. That's not what this thread is about so save it...

We keep fish in captivity. Things go bad and they get sick. I would pay the money. would you?
how is it terrible? Unless your a psychopath we tend to provide our fish with the best lives we can, free as possible from fighting, treated for illness, and they never go hungry (although some act like they do lol).

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Working ich vaccines have been developed a long time ago. Not sure why they haven't hit the market.

People in the freshwater forums are still struggling to provide a Civil War era level of care to their fish. They still can't use antibiotics effectively...
Is it the liability of bringing something to market? Who has the rights to those vaccines? Is it simply a case of connecting investors to scientists? Has this been evaluated and deemed not lucrative?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
how is it terrible? Unless your a psychopath we tend to provide our fish with the best lives we can, free as possible from fighting, treated for illness, and they never go hungry (although some act like they do lol).
I love my fish. they saved my life by helping me quit tobacco.
I just posted a lot of the contrary opinions early to hopefully avoid the tang police

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should now research every case on that forum for preexisting conditions, lifestyle, genetics, et, before copying and pasting a google link to prove something about immunity
what? I feel both points are weird (weirdly phrased at least). Here's my take:

Fish have immune systems, its our jobs to maintain them and keep them healthy, but sometimes its not enough, we need to medicate them, its cruel not to. A fish basically cannot survive brook untreated, so we medicate them, a fish can have a hard time with ich in our tanks that are not diluted like the ocean is, so we treat them and then help to manage ich or let the ich die off.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what? I feel both points are weird (weirdly phrased at least). Here's my take:

Fish have immune systems, its our jobs to maintain them and keep them healthy, but sometimes its not enough, we need to medicate them, its cruel not to. A fish basically cannot survive brook untreated, so we medicate them, a fish can have a hard time with ich in our tanks that are not diluted like the ocean is, so we treat them and then help to manage ich or let the ich die off.
Later in the thread I addressed that point...I just think that meds are overused to the point that they become less than a blessing

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the liability of bringing something to market? Who has the rights to those vaccines? Is it simply a case of connecting investors to scientists? Has this been evaluated and deemed not lucrative?
Expensive and hard to administer as a hobbyist, and not that many sales would come from it. also ich has lots of strains, and there are lots and lots and LOTS of "fish" that we keep that can get ich, its neigh impossible to test all of them

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a lot of the contrary opinions early to hopefully avoid the tang police
1645200052438.gif

So your arguing with yourself??

I don’t see anyone saying really anything that got you going… Someone talked about immunity… Paul B of all people and you went on a rant about captivity…

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Later in the thread I addressed that point...I just think that meds are overused to the point that they become less than a blessing
I haven't seen overuse on a hobbyist level. It's quite rare. Overuse is an issue with the global medical(etc.) and agricultural level mainly

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Also, unless there is significant economic reason to develop something like this (ex: agricultural), it's not a priority.
Thanks! very informative!
I like the idea going forward of possibly eradicating it in captive bred populations

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1645200052438.gif

I don’t see anyone saying really anything that got you going… Someone talked about immunity… Paul B of all people and you went on a rant about captivity…
This thread is a trip lol, lets talk about something else... how bout the funniest fish? My vote is Puffers

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen overuse on a hobbyist level. It's quite rare. Overuse is an issue with the global medical(etc.) and agricultural level mainly
Every time I come to visit America, I ask on the forums what are the absolute necessary meds I need to buy here because many aren't available where I am...the list I get is ridiculously long and in the past when I've tried one medication that failed, I get a cocktail of others recommended...it seems a little excessive to me

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Crypto vaccine studies:

There's quite a few and for freshwater ich as well.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I come to visit America, I ask on the forums what are the absolute necessary meds I need to buy here because many aren't available where I am...the list I get is ridiculously long and in the past when I've tried one medication that failed, I get a cocktail of others recommended...it seems a little excessive to me
Lots of meds, your not supposed to use all at once, different meds are for different things and you never know what exactly you will need due to the large number of issues possible, so people will give you a list to stock up on in case of the worst. I dont understand what meds you are referring to when you say a cocktail of them, you only should be using a med or two at a time unless you know they are safe to use together and are needed.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
I have been blessed to have several chronic diseases. Modern medical tech seems about a 1/2 step away from dancing around a fire in a mask to scare the cooties away.

Ever read any drug monographs or package inserts? For the vast majority of them the mechanism of action is unknown.

Metformin. One of the most commonly used diabetes drugs.
Metformin was first described in the scientific literature in 1922, by Emil Werner and James Bell, as a product in the synthesis of N,N-dimethylguanidine.[121] In 1929, Slotta and Tschesche discovered its sugar-lowering action in rabbits, finding it the most potent biguanide analog they studied.[

The molecular mechanism of metformin is not completely understood. Multiple potential mechanisms of action have been proposed

85 million prescriptions given for metformin in 2019.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1645200052438.gif

Thanks! I got carried away, sorry if offended anyone. Just a little touchy after seeing what I think is ich in my tank and being nervous about going away on vacation for a week... Have ordered Polyp Labs Medic in the hopes my fish'll be alive when I get back.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
I have been blessed to have several chronic diseases. Modern medical tech seems about a 1/2 step away from dancing around a fire in a mask to scare the cooties away.

Ever read any drug monographs or package inserts? For the vast majority of them the mechanism of action is unknown.

Metformin was first described in the scientific literature in 1922, by Emil Werner and James Bell, as a product in the synthesis of N,N-dimethylguanidine.[121] In 1929, Slotta and Tschesche discovered its sugar-lowering action in rabbits, finding it the most potent biguanide analog they studied.[

The molecular mechanism of metformin is not completely understood. Multiple potential mechanisms of action have been proposed

NO, I've been advised by experienced hobbyists to administer 3 to 4 medications at once followed by another combination shortly later.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I"m not going into my personal medical history here but many times people are better off without several chemical compounds running through their veins. and yes I do know about this subject

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL

we don't fully understand how anethstia works either, doesn't mean its bad. We know it works, we know the risks involved and what it helps with, but the exact mechanism is unknown. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you need it to survive.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we don't fully understand how anethstia works either, doesn't mean its bad. We know it works, we know the risks involved and what it helps with, but the exact mechanism is unknown. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you need it to survive.
The original post was about hardcore drugs to combat ich. not about saving people's lives

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back