Worms? For feeding

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this topic is more or less for asking @Paul B about his cultures.

I'd like to start feeding my tank worms. I am definitely going to get some whites, but I don't want to do blacks. Looking more into what I can keep in shoeboxes under the tank or my sink, and will reproduce easily.

I was thinking of grindal worms. They're smaller and the care is similar to the white worms.

There's also micro worms. Live in oatmeal, very tiny. Maybe an alternative for bbs? Not sure though... and yes, I know these are a nematode not a worm!

And then, how do you gut load the worms? Feed them fish food instead of baby oatmeal, or mix the foods together so they eat both? I don't even know if it is possible to gut load the micro worms.

Hopefully others who have questions about feeding worms to saltwater fish can ask here too.

Last edited:

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have against black worms? They are great. Forget about the Grindal and micro worms for saltwater unless you are raising fry. They are just too small. I never had any success getting white worms to eat fish food. I stick with crackers and potato flakes. You are feeding the worms to get the benefits of the bacteria and fat contained in them. Feed other foods like oysters or clams and salmon to get the benefits of vitamins and HUFA needed for marine fish. You need a variety of foods for a balanced diet.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do blackworms before with Indian puffers. I'd much rather keep something in a smaller container under the tank. And the fridge is just... Nope. At least not the blacks.

Grindals seem the perfect size for gobies. Which I love, love, love.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use black worms although I still have a culture of white worms. I think they are both the same nutritionally but I am not a worm nutritionist. I have been feeding blackworms since the 60s. There is no need to gut load worms, they have enough in them already. Blackworms are filter feeders and suck in whatever is in the water so you can't really gut load them. If you look at them under a microscope, they just pump water through their bodies, not really storing much of anything.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to order some blackworms, but there seems to be a blackworm shortage (if there is such a thing)

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is some what of a push on the nutritional value of the worms. Black worms have more protein and less fat than white worms and white worms have more fat than protein compared to black worms. Given that fish need fat more than protein you might say white worms are better. I have found it extremely labor intensive to have a colony of white worms big enough to support more than a couple of fish. Black worms are easy to keep and I have an easy supply nearby.

OP
OP
Lowstorm

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is that I have to order everything online and there is nothing in my area big enough for either. My dad used to breed fw angels and I helped with the white worms back in the 80s so actually kinda know what to do with them

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to order some blackworms, but there seems to be a blackworm shortage (if there is such a thing)

It is not so much a shortage of worms, but a shortage of water in California. For some reason they want to use the water for people and not worms. But it is true, for a few weeks they are hard to get.

It is some what of a push on the nutritional value of the worms. Black worms have more protein and less fat than white worms and white worms have more fat than protein compared to black worms. Given that fish need fat more than protein you might say white worms are better. I have found it extremely labor intensive to have a colony of white worms big enough to support more than a couple of fish. Black worms are easy to keep and I have an easy supply nearby.

It is not so much about the nutritional value of the worms as it is about the live bacteria in the worms.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, frozen black worms, like San Fransisco Bay brand. Good or no good.
I know live is better but , what say you on feeding marine fish this brand of frozen?

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Read the article and PaulB wrote:
"Do they have to be live?
For some reason, frozen and freeze-dried worms don’t offer fish the same benefits that live worms do. Also, “bloodworms” are not really worms at all and are, in my opinion, useless for saltwater fish."

yea, i guess i was thinking of "bloodworms"...

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think feeding frozen blackworms would be better than feeding no blackworms. Fish don't go near as crazy for frozen though.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not so much about the nutritional value of the worms as it is about the live bacteria in the worms.

I'd like to read a little about the bacteria found in the worms. Could you direct me to a source for information?

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reference specific to blackworms and the bacteria found in their gut in that thread? I'm not seeing it.

Be careful of keeping them too long. In one study after they were kept 28 days and they had already lost half of their lipid profile. Also be careful of the water you keep them in because they absorb everything. Whatever is in your water, they too will have.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there is no reference to blackworms so you won't find that.
I don't keep the worms in the fridge. I keep them alive, healthy and well fed in a worm keeper that I designed so they keep their compliment of live bacteria.
I have been keeping and feeding live worms since the 60s. In those days we we would breed freshwater fish the first instruction was to use live foods. I would collect daphnia and worms and buy blackworms.
I have been reading for quite a few years about new research on live bacteria in the gut and how it stimulates the immune system to keep their immunity up.
As I am sure you know from the immunity thread, my fish have been immune for decades and I am "guessing" the live bacteria in the worms and clams I feed is the key.
When I started keeping blus devils in the 70s I got them to spawn by feeding live blackworms for 7 weeks.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying blackworms are not beneficial, as I myself have used them for years. I wouldn't attribute their benefits to bacteria, however, if I don't even know if such a thing exists in any beneficial form. That's a bit of a stretch.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am sure you know from the immunity thread, my fish have been immune for decades and I am "guessing" the live bacteria in the worms and clams I feed is the key..

That is called the "sphincter retrieval" method.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a stretch which is why I said this:

I am "guessing" the live bacteria in the worms and clams I feed is the key.

That is my experience. I came up with that after decades of using them, but I could be wrong.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back