View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short:
- bought reefer 350
- had a massive shell chip in bottom of front viewing pane
- Red Sea shipped replacement display
- replacement arrived 4 weeks later with a chip on the top edge of the side pane

my LFS is working on a claim with the shipper to get it replaced. I’m just thinking worst case scenario here and the claim gets denied would I be crazy to just use the tank as is? Visually, my HMS mounting bracket would cover most of the chip but is this damage likely to get worse? I haven’t seen it in person yet but apparently it’s pretty small

D50EBC14-5EA0-432B-A5B9-A7A8CB847506.jpeg

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just told me you got a faulty replacement and decided to use it so if you enjoy your warranty I'd explain the situation and send it back again so you can keep your warranty and get a tank without cracks.

OP
OP
L

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just told me you got a faulty replacement and decided to use it so if you enjoy your warranty I'd explain the situation and send it back again so you can keep your warranty and get a tank without cracks.

I did not decide to use it.

it’s still at my LFS.

im wondering if it COULD be used in a situation where they refuse to replace it for me

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seen the damage in-person, it looks like something impacted the edge of the right side of the tank and caused part of the glass to 'shave' off. The impact point on the edge is <1". The size of the glass that has 'sheared' off is about 1.5-1.75" in width, 3/8" to 1/2" in height and fairly shallow (1/16" to 1/32"). There aren't any cracks or fractures radiating out from it. If it were on the front, any of the corners or bottom panes I'd rule it out completely. If you were running your lights on the back as opposed to the sides I'd also rule it out.

If it's going to get covered by an HMS rail I'd be inclined to have a glass company try and epoxy (etc.) and fix it to the best of their ability just to keep it from potentially getting worse. That is, if you decided to keep the tank.

Long-term, hard to say. A lot of people think Red Sea tanks are prone to spontaneously fail (even though this hasn't been my own personal experience). The upside is that you may (emphasis on "may") be able to get a sweet deal on the tank (only). The downside is that any future liability would be on you. Pros: tank now, potentially savings; Cons: partially visible chip, potential issues down the road.

In any event, as this was a replacement under warranty - you're going to end up with a new tank at the very least (just a question of how long the process takes and how long you have to wait for a new replacement). You didn't personally take delivery of the tank so you're effectively in the clear. And I know the LFS in question and they're a very honourable company (apparently the tank was damaged by the freight company at some point in-transit) - so I wouldn't even give that a second thought. It's just that since this now has to go through as an insurance claim with the freight company it will most likely entail some kind of delay.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys and yeah I’m not worried about my LFS whatsoever I was just thinking if the freight company says too bad so sad
They can’t …….
They messed up or mishandled something they were paid to transport

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I am understanding it, it was purchased through your LFS anyways. Even if the shipping company refuses to take blame, your LFS is on the hook for it. They are the ones supplying you a damaged tank.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo the tank will be fine BUT i wouldnt accept it in that condition without a sizable discount on the price. just my 2 cents

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back