Would my reef tank sustain a mandarin dragonet?

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1684503268716.png

1684503309447.png
1684503386289.png

Hello Reef2reef,

I have always wanted a mandarin dragonet, but I have yet to buy one because my tank might not have a stable enough copepods population. My DT is 80 gallons, while my sump is 11 gallons. At night, numerous amphipods crawl on the sandbed and rocks.

Homeowners of the tank is as follows:

*Corals*
2 euphyllia glabrescens (torch)
Ricordea + green hairy mushroom
Duncan & a micromussa
A wallhammer (Euphyllia paradivisa)

*Fish*
1 purple tang
1 Foxface rabbitfish
1 Regal angelfish
2 Clowns
1 goby and a pistolshrimp

a lot of snails and 3 big electric blue hermit crabs.

my tank will be 1 year old this June.

Do you think I can pull the trigger and buy a dragonet?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? You can always add copepods as needed and some mandarins adapt to other foods also. My tank is smaller but my Manny has been fine for 8 months now.

useer10202820

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mandarin has been in my tank over 8 years. I started with seeding with pods first few years. Half bottle in display, half in sump. Did that every couple of months. after couple of years, huge population.

Over time this one started eating frozen food as well. Loves Marine Cuisine and Emerald Entree and Reef Frenzy. I didnt have to do anything. He just started eating it one day and has been ever since.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mandarin has been in my tank over 8 years. I started with seeding with pods first few years. Half bottle in display, half in sump. Did that every couple of months. after couple of years, huge population.

Over time this one started eating frozen food as well. Loves Marine Cuisine and Emerald Entree and Reef Frenzy. I didnt have to do anything. He just started eating it one day and has been ever since.
Great info!
19E27FAC-E735-4572-B8DC-102D24C53F63.jpeg

this is my sump that l leave uncleaned to help copepods have a little free room.
Do you have a picture of your mandarin?

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try. I used to have a mandarin in a 20gal for almost two years until I sold my tank when we moved from West Coast to East Coast. It is a wild caught and after few months learned how to eat pellets. I believe they will learn how to eat pellets in no time. This is based my opinion and not a scientific observation. Right now I have a pair, the male is wild caught and too greedy eating pellets. On the side note, just few nights ago my pair are doing the courtship dance and it’s fun to watch them.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try. I used to have a mandarin in a 20gal for almost two years until I sold my tank when we moved from West Coast to East Coast. It is a wild caught and after few months learned how to eat pellets. I believe they will learn how to eat pellets in no time. This is based my opinion and not a scientific observation. Right now I have a pair, the male is wild caught and too greedy eating pellets. On the side note, just few nights ago my pair are doing the courtship dance and it’s fun to watch them.
How big is your tank with the pair?

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank with the pair?
It is 210gal, but aside from my pair I have 4 hunting pods wrasses.

I remember I used to have another pair in my 40 breeder years ago and both are wild caught too. They died when we have a power outage for 16 hours and I am out of town. They both eat pellets.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do get a Mandarin get a Target or spotted Mandarin. They will eat flat worms among other things. I just bought mine from a LFS and he now eats frozen food, pellets, pods, pretty much anything that comes near his face.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? You can always add copepods as needed and some mandarins adapt to other foods also. My tank is smaller but my Manny has been fine for 8 months now.
I also got a sixline wrasse, so perhaps my copepods population is not so high to sustain a pair?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a sixline wrasse, so perhaps my copepods population is not so high to sustain a pair?
I have 5 wrasses including a 6 line. Yes, they can eat pods to but once you have a very established tank, the pods finds ways to multiply and sustain their population especially if running a fuge two. I still like to add Tigger or some other type of pods every few weeks or so just to be safe but I've seen Manny eating frozen and he loves Ora coral feast eggs to so I broadcast feed that a few times weekly to.

Now obviously with 2 mandarins in the tank conditions may be different and require adjustments. I personally think after some months the fish learn on their own to eat other foods.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see why you would have any issue at all. Dose a phyto based product to help keep the copepods up and you will be fine

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back