Would vinegar work as the acid in a diy alkalinity test?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at automating alkalinity testing. Still have a lot of things to read and learn but was wondering if vinegar could be used to replace the acid in the test? It seems that would make the result that gets put back into the tank a good carbon source too.

If it would work, what kind of adjustments to the formulas would have to be made?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It is not a strong enough acid. Whatever acid you use also needs to be well quantified, which normal vinegar probably is not. There’s no good choice of organic acid that you’d also add back to the tank.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at automating alkalinity testing. Still have a lot of things to read and learn but was wondering if vinegar could be used to replace the acid in the test? It seems that would make the result that gets put back into the tank a good carbon source too.

If it would work, what kind of adjustments to the formulas would have to be made?
I fully expect Randy is right. I did find it interesting though so I used some in my salifert Alkalinity test and it changed colour after just a couple of drops. Of no use to you though, lol

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It is not a strong enough acid. Whatever acid you use also needs to be well quantified, which normal vinegar probably is not. There’s no good choice of organic acid that you’d also add back to the tank.

So what is a good choice that's readily available? I know they sell things like hydrochloric and sulfuric acids, but no idea where or how much they cost.

I fully expect Randy is right. I did find it interesting though so I used some in my salifert Alkalinity test and it changed colour after just a couple of drops. Of no use to you though, lol

Thanks for testing that. It's a shame it won't work. It would have been useful :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is a good choice that's readily available? I know they sell things like hydrochloric and sulfuric acids, but no idea where or how much they cost.

Thanks for testing that. It's a shame it won't work. It would have been useful :D

I detail how to do it here, including what acid to buy:

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dump test water back into the tank...
Why not? Alkatronic says you can, and I did for like a year. In that case it's sulfuric acid. I understand the test water would be of low dkh but what other effects are there? Not arguing, genuinely wondering as I never liked returning the test waste, so I stopped, but never noticed any side effects(I think)

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not arguing, genuinely wondering as I never liked returning the test waste, so I stopped, but never noticed any side effects(I think)
You have to mail the test waste back to Neptune Apex? You can’t dump it down the drain?

I never used an automatic tester. Just curious.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the articles you've written would you? I've stumbled on a few across various sites but that sort of thing could be really helpful.
A sticky at the top of the chem forum has an article listing them all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? Alkatronic says you can, and I did for like a year. In that case it's sulfuric acid. I understand the test water would be of low dkh but what other effects are there? Not arguing, genuinely wondering as I never liked returning the test waste, so I stopped, but never noticed any side effects(I think)

It’s fine if the acid is pure enough.

The choice is slight alk lowering by returning it to the tank, or slight lowering of everything (salinity) by sending it to the waste drain.

Both seem easily dealt with.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to mail the test waste back to Neptune Apex? You can’t dump it down the drain?

I never used an automatic tester. Just curious.
Huh? Ohh.. lol
Was referring to returning the test water(waste) back into the tank. In an effort to not reduce salinity from dumping tank water at every test. Of course it can be dumped down the drain. Was wondering about unforseen consequences of returning it to the tank...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine if the acid is pure enough.

The choice is slight alk lowering by returning it to the tank, or slight lowering of everything (salinity) by sending it to the waste drain.

Both seem easily dealt with.
Is there any effect in ph, or anything else?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? Ohh.. lol
Was referring to returning the test water(waste) back into the tank. In an effort to not reduce salinity from dumping tank water at every test. Of course it can be dumped down the drain. Was wondering about unforseen consequences of returning it to the tank...
Oh. lol. I misunderstood.

Thanks for explaining. :)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back