Would you convert a 75 gallons freshwater tank to a reef tank ?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
season 3 wall GIF

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see 2. MP40s. Ecotech battery backup One XR30 G5, Skimmer pump. Two Hydor Seltz DC pumps( one for return, one for Algae Reactor) PH Controller, PH.Display , Heater, Algse Reactor. Under sump LED light. Doser(for Kalk)-13

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add that this was basically exactly what I did back in 2003. I had a 20g saltwater fish only tank and a 75 gallon freshwater tank. Obviously I fell in love with the saltwater and decided to convert. I had a limited budge (I was in high school) and wasn't handy, so I had to work with what I had rather than going out and buying a "proper" setup or modifying my own.

I was able to get my LFS to "buy back" some of my freshwater fish (inc. a gold nugget pleco, silver arowana that had grown like a weed, and a teacup stingray) for store credit so I used that to buy two cheap powerheads, a hydrometer, marine testing kit, and some live rock (today I likely would have made out better selling to another hobbyist). I added sand from my 20g to the 75 to "seed" it, mixed and added the water, and began the cycle. Once parameters were stable enough, I slowly moved my livestock over (one at a time, testing daily after each addition), but the bio load from my damsel, clown, scooter blenny, and royal gramma didn't do much to alter the chemistry of the 75g.

It thrived as a FOWLR under the stock lights, HoB filter (with stock carbon cartridges which I would have swapped for better media had I known better and had the online community existed to tell me I was an idiot), live rock, and the new power heads. Tap water caused an early outbreak of GHA, but it went away over time with water changes and me regularly pulling it off rocks. I tried adding some softies under the stock lights, but they all failed. I'm sure if it was 2021 I would have been able to find a cheap LED that could have made it work, but at the time there weren't many realistic options so I stuck with FOWLR. The only reason I didn't upgrade is because I went to college 2 years later. Sold most of my livestock back to the store, gave some rock to my neighbor who was starting a tank. But it was definitely a success and only furthered my love of the hobby.

Was this harder than doing it with a proper setup? Most likely. But if money and DIY skills are in short supply, you're kind of limited on options and I'd vote that you go for it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a sump, I hate this idea that YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SUMP....I've seen incredible tanks run "sump-less". Don't let anyone tell you "YOU HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY" in this hobby. None of us know what we are doing, reefing is more of a constant education than flex of knowledge.
While I agree completely that a sump is not a necessity it does make things much easier and would be a much added benefit in setting the OP up to succeed. Other than saltwater and something to contain it there is not much of anything else that is a NECESSITY. Yes a mature tank goes a long way to helping keep a successful tank but many people in the hobby don't last long enough to even have a mature tank.

If it were me and I couldn't find a safe way to have a sump attached to your converted 75g then I would personally look into getting a tank that could. BTW drilling a tank seems scary at first it is actually pretty easy to do if you use a new bit, plenty of water, and don't put any pressure on the drill.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an EVO 13.5 and I’m seriously thinking about going bigger. Converting my 75 gallons freshwater tank to a reef tank is one option.

Considering I have 0 diy abilities and that the cabinet for my tank cannot house a sump, would you convert to reef ?

This reef tank will be my last, as there will be no more room for anything else, and also because I am not getting younger. So I want it to be practical, fun to manage and able to grow with my knowledge level. Right now I’m a beginner, but if/when I want to try more expert corals and set-ups in a few years, I want to be able to do it with the same tank, by simply adding equipment (no diy).

Thank you for sharing your experience !
Most definitely would. If I wanted a reeftank and that's what was handy off I'd go. I'm 55 and the other day my grandmother asked me if I still built themout of old t.v. sets and that was so long ago I didn't remember doing that. And I know I had no experience. Just kinda made it up as we went n they were nice w fish n them have a good time. Put up some pics n I'll like checking it out..

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank isn't fresh or salt ... its just a tank. Perhaps if you think of the tank as just a neutral box and its the water going into it that makes it either fresh or saltwater, that will help.
Yes, I understand that. The only thing worrying me about converting my tank is the fact that I wouldn’t be able to have a sump and all the advantages that come with it.

Do you have a local reefer's club? They're great resources.
There is a freshwater one but I haven’t heard of a saltwater one unfortunately.

You should also look at the marketplace on canreef.
Will do, thank you !

If you are not comfortable or at least willing to pay someone else to drill holes for an overflow than I would suggest getting a reef ready tank that already has an overflow.
I am willing to, but there isn’t room under my cabinet to house a sump.

So what you are really wanting to know is who would setup a saltwater tank without an overflow and sump?
Yes, I’m trying to find out if it’s possible to have a thriving and fun to maintain reef tank without an overflow and sump.

OP can certainly realize their plans as described with the tank as-is, but it will frankly be cheaper and easier in the long run to start out with the right tank, especially if DIY fixes are not an option. The second-hand market is possibly a good option for this.
I would go diy but need to find someone who will deliver, so that makes it harder. Also, I need a white, cabinet with a modern look, and those are really hard to come by.

I've seen incredible tanks run "sump-less". Don't let anyone tell you "YOU HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY" in this hobby. None of us know what we are doing, reefing is more of a constant education than flex of knowledge.
Ha Ha Ha ! Thank you !

But a lightly stocked 75 gallon with no sump thats left to mature for a bit pre-livestock can be an easy going tank for sure.
Was this harder than doing it with a proper setup? Most likely. But if money and DIY skills are in short supply, you're kind of limited on options and I'd vote that you go for it.
Money can be found if necessary. I’ve looked at a brand new set-up like a Red sea reefer and it comes to about 6000$ CAD, which is a lot of money. So if I can have a good set-up by converting my Freshwater tank for 1000$ CAD, that would be nice.

On the other hand, I don’t want to end up with a set-up that I will end up hating because I’m limited in what I can do and achieve. It’s quite the dilemma.

I could try to convert first, then if I don’t like it buy a new reef ready tank. I wouldn’t be losing any money because I would reuse most of what I bought (power head, light, rocks, sand, fish and corals). But then it’s a lot more work if I go brand new later on.

BTW drilling a tank seems scary at first it is actually pretty easy to do if you use a new bit, plenty of water, and don't put any pressure on the drill.
I would get someone to do it but there is no room for a sump under the cabinet.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an EVO 13.5 and I’m seriously thinking about going bigger. Converting my 75 gallons freshwater tank to a reef tank is one option.

Considering I have 0 diy abilities and that the cabinet for my tank cannot house a sump, would you convert to reef ?

This reef tank will be my last, as there will be no more room for anything else, and also because I am not getting younger. So I want it to be practical, fun to manage and able to grow with my knowledge level. Right now I’m a beginner, but if/when I want to try more expert corals and set-ups in a few years, I want to be able to do it with the same tank, by simply adding equipment (no diy).

Been there done that. I returned all of the fresh water live stock to the lfs and cleaned the tank and changed over to a reef tank. Was it a good idea? It was the only tank I had and when you’ve got to have a reef tank, you do whatever it takes. Then, the wife said”Not again, I thought you had quit this time.” Lol

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not convert the tank. Sell it and get a 120 reef ready. Especially if this will be the only tank in your future. Much better dimension for a reef imo.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is definitely doable very few fish and alot of coral. Hang on back reactor. With biopellets 10 fish .

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled is always preferred but you can certainly use any method and be successful. My 75g tank just has hang on equipment. I use a tidal 110, reef octopus 2000 hob, and an algae scrubber. Im not a fan of canisters but they also work well if maintained properly.
20200519_143623.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have converted freshwater tanks without sumps into beautifully thriving saltwater tanks as sumps and alot the equipment alot of us use are not necessary.
But a sump hides alot of the equipment and makes more room in dt for corals and not as much of a eye sore if got lots of equipment hanging on back.
But a few things you said of as your skill level grows you would like to have more expert corals or more harder corals etc and you said can only fit one more tank in your house and with your age wont be getting another tank in future and you would like to get more equipment further down the line.
So on this basis i dont think you should convert your freshwater tank with no sump into saltwater and you said 0 diy skills so that rules out drilling tank later to add sump ( unless pay someone else to do it)
So as alot have saltwater tanks with 0 sumps and keep it very basic and have thriving tanks,it sounds like you want to add equipment later and you saying want harder to keep corals so if you got lots sps corals and they using alot alk/calcium etc etc you may want dosers,you may want calcium reactors and sounds like want all the extras so i would say get a set up that you will be happy with on first day and after a year and even happy with 5- 10 years or more down the road as this be your last tank,so if you wanting add equipment later and happy with lots hang on equipment and if choose to have dosers and want dosing lines going to dt and blah blah then convert freshwater into saltwater.
If want somewhere to hide all equipment and have more water volume in system so = little bit kore stable etc then i would buy a saltwater set up .
Also quick note if freshwater set up and used copper or any medications .i read somewhere they can leach into certain materials like silicone etc so just bare in mind corals very sensitive to some medications,so that goes for using any of your freshwater stuff into saltwater etc,( what i read and never tested using meds to see if silicone it absorbs it or not a little disclaimer lol )
Goodluck and enjoy whatever you decide ^_^

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75g tank just has hang on equipment. I use a tidal 110, reef octopus 2000 hob, and an algae scrubber. Im not a fan of canisters but they also work well if maintained properly.
Good to know ! I think I would replace the canister with a HOB for easier access if I went the convert way.

it sounds like you want to add equipment later and you saying want harder to keep corals so if you got lots sps corals and they using alot alk/calcium etc etc you may want dosers,you may want calcium reactors and sounds like want all the extras so i would say get a set up that you will be happy with on first day and after a year and even happy with 5- 10 years or more down the road as this be your last tank,so if you wanting add equipment later and happy with lots hang on equipment and if choose to have dosers and want dosing lines going to dt and blah blah then convert freshwater into saltwater.
Yeah, I’m kind of thinking the same way as well. I’d like to have all the bells and whistles and ease of use that comes with tanks that have sumps.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money can be found if necessary. I’ve looked at a brand new set-up like a Red sea reefer and it comes to about 6000$ CAD, which is a lot of money. So if I can have a good set-up by converting my Freshwater tank for 1000$ CAD, that would be nice.

On the other hand, I don’t want to end up with a set-up that I will end up hating because I’m limited in what I can do and achieve. It’s quite the dilemma.

I could try to convert first, then if I don’t like it buy a new reef ready tank. I wouldn’t be losing any money because I would reuse most of what I bought (power head, light, rocks, sand, fish and corals). But then it’s a lot more work if I go brand new later on.
Perfectly reasonable line of thought and I understand the dilemma (I'm also a big fan of the Red Sea Reefers).

I'd still consider just starting with converting your FW setup. The extent to which you can continue to upgrade it long after the initial setup is still pretty great (and you'll enjoy doing it). What's more likely than you "hating" what you have is that you'll like it so much that you wan't to just go all-in on the Red Sea setup rather than continue to piece together upgrades. But... if you have the $6k available to go in on the Red Sea from the start, then it might make things a bit easier (and prettier). I just don't think you need to have some sort of half-step where you spend ~$1-2k on a "proper" drilled reef setup with a sump and all of the accessories in order to create a beautiful, enjoyable reef when you have a decent starting point already.

Back