Would you convert a 75 gallons freshwater tank to a reef tank ?

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you keep the salt and rocks ? If so, how did you clean them ?
I thought we were talking about going fresh to salt. The other way, I never tried reef rock in a fresh water tank, or fresh water decor in a reef. Always used different substaight too.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought we were talking about going fresh to salt
Yes, you’re right, we’re talking about fresh to salt.

Nonetheless, in my freshwater tank I have African cichlids (Mbunas) and those fish live in rocks and sand and need a higher PH. So I have 80 lbs of aragonite sand and 75-100 lbs of Florida rocks and lace rocks in the tank.

I guess most people don’t have this kind of freshwater set-up when they switch, but it was worth asking…

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you keep the salt and rocks ? If so, how did you clean them ?
Yes, you’re right, we’re talking about fresh to salt.

Nonetheless, in my freshwater tank I have African cichlids (Mbunas) and those fish live in rocks and sand and need a higher PH. So I have 80 lbs of aragonite sand and 75-100 lbs of Florida rocks and lace rocks in the tank.

I guess most people don’t have this kind of freshwater set-up when they switch, but it was worth asking…
I think this is what you were referencing, the salt wont work but the rock might as long as it wasnt treated with copper or something, might look weird in a saltwater tank and idk if lace rock will effect the pH or alkalinity too much

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room to behind tank and squat down I can think of several containers you could use as a diy sump, sumps to hold equipment and more w/v which is all a sump does. Best to drill I agree but I never have hang on CPR unit and u can create it so u could slide it,them out for maintance. Always some kind thing the imagination con come up w and ur in a perfect place for help.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
season 3 wall GIF
Terrible , how about a gfci power sirip w a gfci receptacle for added protection.??

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55 gal has been up for 6 years now. It’s an eye sore with the HOB skimmer but I rarely do maintenance which you can tell. I guess I should do a WC and test parameters some day. I just tip up with tap water and feed the fish. Ugh the powerheads look so awful with all that algae.

Never used RODI and local water is 225 TDS. I do keep macro in display as I don’t have any tangs to eat it. Not with that many carpets/magnifica around. Just a bunch of anemones and 3 clownfish.

Honestly the tank and equipment were a fraction of the cost of the anemones. Equipment is the cheapest part of this hobby for me

I didn’t run a protein skimmer for many years. But started when I slacked down to maybe monthly WC?

54DAA720-A079-45BA-ACE2-B9BEC47A78EA.jpeg

Gmantu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 55 gal running for just over a year. Started with a marineland canister filter. Tank ran well but I had higher goals for the tank.
Added a sump with a HOB eshopps overflow and have been adding equipment ever since. My biggest take away so far is that I wish I would have done more planning and research before I started anything.
I watched a video by Than from Tidal Gardens and he made a good point. A 120 gal tank isn’t much bigger in dimensions than a 55 or 75. And the cost isn’t much more.
If I were in your position with the knowledge I have gained so far and keeping in mind that you don’t want any DIY, I would try to sell your 75 and stand and get a larger tank and sump. I think you’ve already got the itch to go bigger and I don’t think a 75 will scratch that itch once you realize your still limited in stocking and space.
If finances allow, go bigger and hire someone to do the DIY you don’t want to.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 90 gal from a long time ago. You can see the unsightly equipment everywhere.

Electrical was a mess.
HOB aquaclear
HOB skimmer
Tunze Ato
4 vortech powerhead
Heater
Controller
6 bulb t5

Just butt ugly but I purchased equipment over time.

I was able to grow everything from SPS, claims to elegance corals. I had a HOB overflow a long time ago but it flooded my basement. So that went away the next day. The HOB skimmer flooded many times too.

0991C3FB-7CEE-4A4E-AA9B-DE1AF366C1B1.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve stumbled across a great package that would make my freshwater tank reef ready : Tunze Reef pack 500.

Here’s what’s in it :

For seawater biotopes from 200 to 500 liters (53 to 132 USgal.).
Power consumption only 31 W for all components, 230V/50Hz (115V/60Hz).
• Comline® DOC Skimmer 9012 for high performance skimming.
• Loop current in aquarium by energy saving pump with variable
performance from 500 to 2,100 l/h (132 to 555 USgal./h).
• Comline® Multifilter 3168 (cartridge quick filter)
• Osmolator® 3155
• Storage tank 5002.250 with a volume of 27 liters (7.1 USgal.) to hold the
refill water.
• Magnet Holder up to a glass thickness of 15 mm (2/3").
Dimensions (L x W x H): 140 x 220 x 415 mm (5.5" x 8.6" x 16.3")
Can be easily combined with other TUNZE® products.

I can’t seem to find it in Canada but I can buy the parts separately and just find a reservoir for the ATO.

This would be perfect. I’m still doing research on it but it looks very interesting !

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back