Would you ever consider a cylindrical tank?

Would you ever consider a cylindrical tank?

• Yes

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • I have one!

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • What's a cylinder?

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking long long in the future about my second tank and have just been browseing. Some of these cylinder-shaped tanks are intriguing to me.

Anybody ever had one? What are some possible pros and cons?

What other unique tanks shapes are out there?

Post pictures if you have one! I know @uniquecorals had one at some point, not sure if it's still up:

1630090268940.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well... I mean... Oh, who am I kidding?? I love tanks of all shapes and sizes!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I find them unique and intriguing.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1/4 (155g) and a 1/2 (105g) cylinder tanks. The issues I have had with them is flow and lighting. You have to get very creative on both to make them work. Some mention cleaning the glass, I use the Algae Free magnetic cleaners (wooden on the outside) and go the next size up from what is recommended for my glass thickness and it works pretty good. Go through the blades a little faster than on a flat tank. You do get some distortion of the view, but the larger the tank, the less distortion you see. I have found the flow is a lot easier on the 1/4 than the 1/2 and the lighting is easier on the 1/2 than the 1/4. I also figure I use about 2 times the # of power heads compared to what I would need on a rectangular tank of the same water volume to eliminate the dead spots.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there - done that. Won't recommend to anyone. Huge PITA to light and clean.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 92 corner. I love the tank, but would not rebuy it.

Issues:
Limited space under tank. It is very tight and lots of wasted space)

Distorted viewing. Some area are hard to view due to the distortion. Can be hard to photograph too.

Hard to light. Is I was going to grow SPS, I would probably need 3 lights for a tank that would only take 2 in a rectanglular tank.

Hard to reach into tank. Due to being a 3’ radius, always getting wet if I have to reach the overflow.

Waterflow is hard. Seems to take extra wave makers to make sure I have ok flow.

———

Honestly, we are having to replace the floors where my reef is. If I could find a good buy on a 120, I’d switch in a heartbeat and make the corner freshwater. It’s a beautiful tank. Just the curve shape does not lend to efficient reefing.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral in both of my tanks. The 1/4 if a full cylinder would have an 7' diameter and has much less distortion than the smaller 1/2 cylinder. I think for full cylinder to work well and to minimize the distortion you have to go big- I would think 8' + diameter and then it gets kinda pricy:) and you might have to build the room around the tank to get it in.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love one for the looks but hate the curve on my bow front. I’d go crazy cleaning one of those. Maybe there’s a trick to it and I’ll change my mind. But that’s my initial reaction

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got a good deal on it sure. I would go old school with closed loops to hide the pumps.

I would take this type of tank over a narrow long tank.

I have a 92 corner. I love the tank, but would not rebuy it.

Issues:
Limited space under tank. It is very tight and lots of wasted space)

Distorted viewing. Some area are hard to view due to the distortion. Can be hard to photograph too.

Hard to light. Is I was going to grow SPS, I would probably need 3 lights for a tank that would only take 2 in a rectanglular tank.

Hard to reach into tank. Due to being a 3’ radius, always getting wet if I have to reach the overflow.

Waterflow is hard. Seems to take extra wave makers to make sure I have ok flow.

———

Honestly, we are having to replace the floors where my reef is. If I could find a good buy on a 120, I’d switch in a heartbeat and make the corner freshwater. It’s a beautiful tank. Just the curve shape does not lend to efficient reefing.

Alot of this is true. I used a bowfront shape sump to max out the space. Really only sump shape that will work. 28 gal bow-front fit like a glove.

I have this same tank. Let me know if you need any help with lighting. I use a single Philips coral coral care lighting mine now. Have it mounted inside my hood about 6 inches from water. It really cover the tank well. Used t5s before that.

20210821_023149.jpg

Back