Would you rest a diy hood on top of the tank?

Pondweed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the subject, just wondering if you would rest a hood on top of the tank glass? I've got a case tank so no bracing but it's only 80cm wide so not massive.

I just want a hood to reduce some light spill. I can leave the lights suspended on the rack so it won't be heavy. Can tanks generally handle some weight on the top of the glass or is this a bad move.

Hood would just be some diy out of whatever looks alright and seems light enough

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a thin self adhesive foam on mine to protect the glass but with no brace it would be tricky to set in place.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a number of bulky wood canopies for metal halides etc years ago on rimmed tanks with no issues.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy and I break down tanks and part em out….I see lots of homemade canopies. Some good, some bad. None seem to have caused any issues with the tank structure though. I would be nervous for a rimless as there’s not much “wiggle” room on that edge.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. That is how we did it in the old days. We all built wooden canopies that rested on the aquarium for our MH and T12 fixtures.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally don’t like the idea of anything resting on my tank no matter if it is rimless or not, which mine happens to be… I use a 3030 frame and use suspension cable to the ceiling.,,, very easy to install… couple of anchors and eye bolts, along with the suspension cable.. I will attach panels to it soon to keep the light spill in place.
17DB7E30-00A8-4B5F-80B1-E03D8B074128.jpeg

OP
OP
Pondweed

Pondweed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'm not 100% on the idea of resting on top of the tank. I'm in a rental so can't attach to the walls or ceiling (also means I can't take any risks of a leak or the tank being damaged). I have a light rail built off the bank of the stand. The only reason I want a canopy is to reduce some light spill. So maybe I can extend the light rack with a curtain type thing might be better

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back