Would you run a booster if...

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see eBay brand new boosters for like $65. Currently I have a 75gpd fixture. I honestly make maybe 2 gallons a week. My psi is between 32-35 depending on the day and I don't pay for water in my condo so I really don't care about waste. The little amount I do it wouldn't be worth it right?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A RO membrane needs a minimum of 40 psi to be at all efficient. At 25-32 psi your rejection rate would be terribe meaning the RO isn't remving the TDS it should be so your DI would be working overtime.

Iwould not invest in any RO booster pump other than an Aquatec 8800, they are the standard of the industry for a reason, reliabiity and performance. You are probably going to spend $125-$150 though to get the real thing. A $65 booster pump is probably worth about $65 in quality.

If you only make a couple gallons of RO/DI a week I don't think I would bother making my own, you can get two gallons of distilled water for less than $2. The payback on owning a RO/DI and a booster pump just insn't there at a couple gallons a week.

OP
OP
O

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly, it would take me a ton of spent di to recoup the costs of the booster pump. So even if the quality was low on the eBay one it wouldn't really matter even if it was getting a marginal psi boost. I was doing the bucket yo to the LFS.. But man man it Is so much easier to walk down my basement stairs :)

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water pressure street pressure or does your place have a well??? If you have a well with a pressure switch turn up the pressure there or get a switch with a higher pressure rating

OP
OP
O

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Street pressure unfortunately and the rodi is right off where it ties into my house so i am not going to get any better (tried it in the kitchen first and I was about five psi less)

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pump try to get the best one you can afford cheap ones are cheap for a reason

OP
OP
O

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why are they cheap? I know what you get what you pay for.. But its advertised at like 80 psi I'm shooting for half of that. And it wouldnt be set up for automatic use. So what could happen

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality of the components they are built out of can be inferior and the fit tolerances may not be as tight so they may not work as well as advertised nor last as long as they should. A pump is not some place I would skimp, that $65 will probably be spent 4 or 5 times over the life of one Aqautec. There really is a difference. You get what you pay for. Ask RO vendors that have been around for more than 10-15 years what they sell and what the failure rate is. We are all looking for a better "value" but it isn't there in this case, there is a difference between value and cheap.

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a aquatec 8800 booster pump ro plus transformer on e bay for $103. Will this work on the spectrapure refurbished rodi system?

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 2nd desrat its all the internal parts that matter it might be worth it to you for such a small amount u r making but the pump will lose pressure over time if you were making alot water on a daily bases dont skimp

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%

Back