Wrasse Retreat 2.0: Evolved's 270g Peninsula

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need some update photos! @evolved I know you're not busy or anything.. ;)

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house and great build thread. That tank and sump are awesome. Looking forward to seeing it live. JP
Agree with Jeff. Looking good! Can't wait to see your progress.
Thanks Jeff and Brad; you'll both have to come check it sometime.
This looks awesome; peninsula tanks are my favorite. What kind of aquascape will you be going for?
Hold that thought (for it's already done).
We need some update photos! @evolved I know you're not busy or anything.. ;)
Oh yeah, lot's of free time... :rolleyes:
I've lost 5-10 lbs running around like an idiot the past 2 weeks, and it wasn't like I was in need to lose any weight.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here's where we stand:

RODI (and storage system) went in on the day of close, the 11th. Tank and stand were set on the 12th. Plumbed on the 13th. Sand rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and yeesh, are we done yet? And rinsed on the 13th, tank started to fill. New rocks made the trip over on the 14th and mostly made their way into the tank. Tank was filled and started on the 15th. Aquascaped the 16th. Corals were removed from the old tank and tended to on the 17th and 18th, and finally the fish all made their way over on the 19th. I still need to get the corals all placed (they're kinda just "in there" right now, haphazardly placed) and finish getting all the equipment installed and finalized. The cabinet doors are staying in the garage until all of that is done, but hopefully that's no more than 10 days away.
Oh, and had to move a whole house during that process... Kill me.

There are some real pics on the DSLR, but that's as far as they've gotten. I will get them processed and posted here eventually, but unfortunately that's on the back burner while all the irons are still hot. I do have some cell shots for the time being; one moment on that.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the RODI storage tank, tucked under the laundry counter. Fair warning right now; this room and the rest of the house is a mess in these shots. Something about moving tends to do that.
20160812_110239.jpg

Here's the tank and set all set on the 12th:
20160812_153827.jpg

20160812_153853.jpg

Sand rinsed and some water is in. Rocks in a state of chaos. Plumbing finished though.
20160814_163155.jpg

20160814_163217.jpg

The manifold off the return; the first now as a cam-lock connector on it (from BRS) for water changes, the second will feed the reactor (should have that delievered tomorrow), and the third on the left feeds the Calcium Reactor.
20160814_163231.jpg

More details, more mess
20160814_163307.jpg

It's almost living; the sump isn't quite full here.
View attachment 20160814_203726.jpg

And it lives! Aquascaped and running.
20160817_153845.jpg

20160817_153926.jpg

That's all I've got, for now.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's awesome Hunter, looks HUGE. A lot of nice free room around the scape. Are you going to hang the lighting?
Thanks Cheryl!
Yes; 3 AI 52 HDs are already hanging on a 60" rail, I just don't have a picture yet. They actually look pretty sleek and aren't that much of a distraction; a nice surprise.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the minimal amount of 80/20 needed to hold your tank.

You showed us the boring over engineered stuff, I want to see the fun stand.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is pretty darn great Hunter! I'm going to follow along and watch this grow into something really spectacular. :)

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work Hunter it looks awesome. Moving a house sucks, moving a tank sucks, doing both at the same time double sucks. But it looks great. What if any plans do you have for the back of the tank and wall? Are you going to trim it out or anything?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the minimal amount of 80/20 needed to hold your tank.
With total confidence, what you see there is about the minimum I'd use on dimensions like this. You could maybe go 3' between supports on the sides as well (instead of ~2' as I did), but that is about the limit before things might get "interesting" over time with the tank seals.
I want to see the fun stand.
Patience grasshopper. Nothing good happens fast in reef land.
Your messy is my spotless lol.
Thanks, I think. :p
Congrats Hunter!! The house and tank look great so far. I agree with the above comment as well!
Thanks Kevin!
Congrats on the home and it's looking great.
Thanks Steve!
Ok, so now I'm jealous! [emoji6][emoji1611]
Thank you.
Wow! This is pretty darn great Hunter! I'm going to follow along and watch this grow into something really spectacular. :)
Thanks Mel!
Nice work Hunter it looks awesome. Moving a house sucks, moving a tank sucks, doing both at the same time double sucks. But it looks great. What if any plans do you have for the back of the tank and wall? Are you going to trim it out or anything?
Thanks Jesse.
Of course there's a plan. :) See half a hinge on the stand back there? There will be a piece of the same reclaimed wood back there, floor to the top of the tank on hinges. A mini-skinny door, basically, to still allow access there but cover up everything. I have the boards for that in the garage, but have waited to cut them to size until everything is set.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Apex back on line yesterday, and a bunch of the equipment sorted out. I still need to extend the wires for the Vortech drivers (have the parts for that project showing up today), and then the equipment will be nearly sorted out. The new acrylic screen tops went on Saturday, and the ATO tank went in. I have the new reactor in possession now, but I still need to get it plumbed into the sump. I have to get the frag tank back online first through, to get my frag tank fish (pink streak) out of the acclimation box in the sump. It's currently sitting in the reactors home. And the doors and front panels went on the stand yesterday; the finish line is in sight now.

Pictures? Yeah, still don't have any of those. :(

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an awesome idea Hunter!!! I used to be a custom cabinet maker and historic wood worker. There are a few builds here that really spark my interest from that point of view. Love the reclaimed wood, it looks fantastic. Love working with old wood too, there is just nothing like it. I'm a geek on so many levels....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back