Wrasse won't come out during the day?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new wrasse doesn't seem to stay out when the lights go on. I run my actinics from 12-10 and the regular lights from 1-9. I have sunlight coming in from a window starting from 8 in the morning. The wrasse is out in the morning but by the time I come home, around 7pm, the wrasse is already gone. I just can't figure out a way to keep him out during the the tank's lighting period. He has been in the tank since Saturday, April 28.

Could this be a time acclimation thing?
Should I shut the drapes and keep the morning sunlight out?

The wrasse is a black leopard wrasse (not my pic)
BlackLeopardWrasseWMW_Ap8SW.jpg

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.php

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see the pic. :D

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I changed the pic to another (thanks RC ](*,) ), but the link is still the same. Sorry about that.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how new is it Luciano? most of the wrasses that i have acted the same way for the first week or so. i never see it untill its fully comfortable with the tank. it's a beautiful fish though

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how new is it Luciano? most of the wrasses that i have acted the same way for the first week or so. i never see it untill its fully comfortable with the tank. it's a beautiful fish though

that is my experience as well, they are only out late at night for a while, then as they settle in they will stay out longer into the day. but i have also had leopards which never adapted and just disappeared, they are very sensitive fish.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the fish last Saturday, so 4 days. Thanks for the info Vince. I know my thread was a bit too soon, but with such a unique fish I was worried that I was doing something wrong. He/she ate mysis the next day so the leopard is eating, but I haven't had a chance to feed it since this past Sunday.

I've owned a leopard wrasse in the past so I know what to expect, but I don't remember my first one pulling a Houdini like this. I'll keep you guys updated.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be that another fish is harassing it, happened to the last one i tried to introduce to my tank.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is my experience as well, they are only out late at night for a while, then as they settle in they will stay out longer into the day. but i have also had leopards which never adapted and just disappeared, they are very sensitive fish.

Thanks for the info Anthony. This is only the second wrasse I've owned so it is nice hearing from others with more experience. Hopefully this one won't disappear.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be that another fish is harassing it, happened to the last one i tried to introduce to my tank.

I know for sure that the clowns are pushing it away from their anemone, but not harassing it. I've got a feeling it just isn't use to the time zone in my tank.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. I closed the shades in my fish room and the wrasse did not come out before the tank lights came on. It seems that the natural sunlight coming into my tank was disturbing the fishes timeline. All is good and hopefully I'll take some pics in the coming week or so.

rstimeout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice wrasse i was told when i got mine it was a black leapard wrasse and it took about a week before he came out alot

Back