WXM Module Discontinued By Neptune Systems

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now the new vortechs being made can easily have the firmware downgraded to work with the wxm as I just went through this.

Bought 2 new mp40s (MP40MQD) and initially thought I could not have them connect to the wxm. Posted about it and eco-tech posted this video showing how to downgrade firmware:

Its a simple process and gets the new mp40s working like the older ones connecting to wxm in a snap. You have to initially download mobius to downgrade but after than can delete that app and never have to use it again.

So I would think there is still a market for the wxm.... it still works with new vortechs!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally never watch long YouTube video but I gave this one a glance the night it came out and it was very interesting on so many different levels.
The first half is about things they are working on and the status of production.

If you cannot watch the whole thing then skip to the 34 min mark and watch the reasoning behind the Neptune vs Ecotech fall out. I was rolling my eyes through most of that discussion.

My take away is that it's a one way street. Neptune will happily integrate any third party hardware that they can use to make their controllers sales better but they have no intention of letting anybody else in or sharing their hardware with another controller company. I was amused that he says if there was another controller "on par with Apex" they would certainly share their API's with them. I guess having a better controller also disqualifies you! So GHL and Aquatronica will never see an API.

I also was amused at their adamant statements that they don't have a "Walled Garden" around their products. They will let anybody who fits their profile in! How many times have we heard that line used before? Almost always when a club is totally exclusive?

If Neptune really is the nice guy in all of this then why not release an API for the Trident so that other companies can use it with their controllers. Would ETM's eventual controller be certified to be Trident compatible? I doubt that.

You need to watch the video for yourself to see how unconvincing a case is being portrayed of the unreasonable ETM versus the loving and open arms of Neptune. It's so funny!

Last edited:

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great conversation. I would love to answer all your questions right now but first I would suggest you all watch the video of this weeks #LetsTalkReef for yourselves because many of the questions and assumptions I have read were addressed there.

I tell you what, to get your individual questions all answered, why don’t I set a time on our Facebook users group and hold a live Video chat with you all and You can ask me questions there face to face? I love this new tech and would love to get to know each ofyou more personally. What do you say?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was amused at the Puff statements of we don't have a great wall around our products, we will let anybody who fits the profile in! How many times have we heard that line before when a club is exclusive?
The simple fact at this point is that none of what these companies do is all that complicated. The Trident is pretty much the only piece of equipment that isn't pretty quickly reproducible by clever hobbiests. Apex is really polished, but it doesn't really do anything that can't be reproduced by a $59 reef-pi board.

There is absolutely no reason a Trident couldn't have a REST API and be compatible with every controller out there (we control way more complicated devices this way), but its the central piece of their product line and they want to lock you in to buying all their parts instead of worrying about whether or not each one of their products is the best choice in its space.

Its a valid business model, and its successful in a lot of industries - but I think we'd all be better off if we had standardized open specifications for pump control and parameter gathering so that aquarists could choose what piece of equipment suits them best.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great conversation. I would love to answer all your questions right now but first I would suggest you all watch the video of this weeks #LetsTalkReef for yourselves because many of the questions and assumptions I have read were addressed there.

I tell you what, to get your individual questions all answered, why don’t I set a time on our Facebook users group and hold a live Video chat with you all and You can ask me questions there face to face? I love this new tech and would love to get to know each ofyou more personally. What do you say?
My opinion is 1 of 1 nor do I feel like I deserve answers. But for those without access to your Facebook group and/or those that refuse to even have Facebook. Might I suggest a more accessible platform like zoom or the likes of.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is 1 of 1 nor do I feel like I deserve answers. But for those without access to your Facebook group and/or those that refuse to even have Facebook. Might I suggest a more accessible platform like zoom or the likes of.
Yep I am also not on Facebook for obvious reasons. He can certainly do another live YouTube video Podcast and I will certainly ask my questions.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHL is still selling their version of the Vortech controller.

It has already been established that Mobius ready Vortechs can be downgraded to the previous ReefLink/WXM/GHL/Hydros control.

But it seems like all future products (Radion, Vectra, their inevitable next powerhead, Versa doser, etc) will not be compatible with any third party controllers.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or just answer them here? ;Meh
Why make us go and have more accounts elsewhere to answer questions that were asked here. alot of people dont use facebook.

Its not hard to type up a response. In fact i bet in the time it took him to tell us to go watch facebook he could have answered a few of the more asked questions.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHL is still selling their version of the Vortech controller.

Aquatronica is also still selling their Ecotech module. I think the idea of dropping Ecotech support by Neptune is just kind of childish unless there is more to this than they are saying. If not, the only one who loses is Neptune!

People are still going to buy MP-40 pumps and Radion lights no matter what Neptune does. If Neptune kept producing the WXM module people would have a choice of rolling back their new ETM units or using Mobius, but now Apex owners have no choice but to use Mobius. It's actually a win for ETM as they have products that appeal to a much wider spectrum of reefers than Neptune. If ETM does come out with a Hardware based controller it's going to be pretty easy to just dump the whole Apex controller and now have your Lights, Powerheads, Main Pump and dosing pumps ready to go with whatever ETM comes out with.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remove my mp40s from wxm and apex and sync them with mobius how will I Slow the mp40s down for feed mode. Because now I have a button I press and it lowers them to 15% for 30 min to feed

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So watching Neptune’s Live stream last night, Terrence announced that the WXM is being discontinued. It’s been around almost as long as the Apex Classic! He explained that basically the writing has been on the wall for a while and EcoTech has made it clear they don’t want their products to work with 3rd parties. I had a feeling this would happen one day after EcoTech refused to allow the WXM control the Vectra (even though it could) . Then with Versa and Now G5 lights they are Bluetooth only.

For me, I would much prefer a product that is open to other platforms and has as many Integration possibilities as possible. I avoided a Vectra pump for this very reason. (Even after Tim in interviews stated it would work with third parties at launch)

I like to have complex scheduling routines and be able to trigger modes from one source (apex), one dashboard to rule them all. Now knowing that the MP10, 40, 60 are now going this same route where it can’t be controlled by third party platforms is very disappointing.

It’s very disappointing to me that EcoTech Is going this route. They absolutely make quality products, But this is a deal breaker for me and will cause me to consider other products in the future.

Maybe I’m the only one. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?
I'm completely on board with your thoughts. Open platforms that integrate across diverse systems are in the best interests of customers and companies that support that approach will only find that their products are in higher demand for it. I'm with you, take your business elsewhere and make sure you send them direct feedback as well.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm completely on board with your thoughts. Open platforms that integrate across diverse systems are in the best interests of customers and companies that support that approach will only find that their products are in higher demand for it. I'm with you, take your business elsewhere and make sure you send them direct feedback as well.
Feedback > crickets, in my experience.

The first, and last time I take an hour to write a large cumulative experience of the good and bad that spans over thousands of dollars in products, after being prompted to share my input as a result of a survey (Hi cx@ Paul), only to hear absolutely nothing in return. Maybe things have changed in a year and a bit since that, I doubt it though.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reports I have read are that you need to downgrade the firmware of the new Vortech's to get them to work with a WXM and that many who have tried have ended up bricking their Vortech.

Care to link these reports of people bricking their devices due to downgrading mobius firmware on eco-tech devices to work with wxm ? or are you just repeating what someone with a agenda claiming it is a major issue.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remove my mp40s from wxm and apex and sync them with mobius how will I Slow the mp40s down for feed mode. Because now I have a button I press and it lowers them to 15% for 30 min to feed
You’d have to open Mobius and hit feed mode as well as feed mode on your Apex.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the ocean start a feed mode?
Does it have to open an app?
When the ocean sitter comes over I don’t think he will understand how to feed if there is more then two apps.

You put the food in the tank the fish eat it.
I run apex an ESL along with a doser app and a khg. When everything is set up right I open nothing until my alk drops below 7.3 then I adjust my doser and move on. I havnt opened up ESL KHG and the doser app in months. Apex I open weekly but I honestly can’t wait to get rid of it. And those of you saying you will just buy the wavs because of Mobius I have 4 MP10’s running for four years with no problems I have two wavs for 3 years that have been back to Callie more times then I can count that now just hang out on my metal door( the magnets are very strong) Missing from the apex

F176B8CD-73DB-4894-ADC8-E6586882D1AC.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatronica is also still selling their Ecotech module. I think the idea of dropping Ecotech support by Neptune is just kind of childish unless there is more to this than they are saying. If not, the only one who loses is Neptune!

People are still going to buy MP-40 pumps and Radion lights no matter what Neptune does. If Neptune kept producing the WXM module people would have a choice of rolling back their new ETM units or using Mobius, but now Apex owners have no choice but to use Mobius. It's actually a win for ETM as they have products that appeal to a much wider spectrum of reefers than Neptune. If ETM does come out with a Hardware based controller it's going to be pretty easy to just dump the whole Apex controller and now have your Lights, Powerheads, Main Pump and dosing pumps ready to go with whatever ETM comes out with.

Don't disagree with any of that, but the unknowable element may simply be that WXM doesn't sell well anymore (those who need one already have one) and it's not worth the carrying cost of the SKU. I would imagine that a mobius type of approach would be much more intuitive and accessible to younger/newer reefers who proably aren't going to buy a WXM. Just speculation on my part of course.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people are freaking out about multiple apps to control your reef, imagine when you go on vacation and have a tank sitter watch and feed your tank.
None of which would be an actual problem if we had open standards for control - you'd open *the app of your choice*, hit FeedMode, and it would send a request to the rest of the devices telling them to go into feed mode if they support it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back