Xenia Refugium??

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone run a Xenia refugium?? Or know anything about them, there is not whole LOT of information about them. Please share photos, experience, and thoughts.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always loved the look of these, but have never run one and probably never will. Macro algae will be good enough for me :p
Hopefully someone can post some pics of theirs!
I would be concerned with it spreading to the DT and taking over.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along .
I read a few articles or threads on them and an old one from the Garf site and R Shimek . Article mentioned keeping several different varieties .
Not a bad way to export nutrients. Who will take the xenia off your hands though ? Would be kinda sad to export and trash live animals as opposed to macro algae . I kinda dismissed it after thinking about that .

Last edited:

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard nothing but good things about it. only thing is what to do when it grows out of hand.
me personally i like the stuff even in the display but to each their own

Fizzpop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Xenia in my display tank and have to prune it back periodically. Call me a monster, but I don't mind trashing it. Grows like weeds and I don't think it is self-aware.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You folks cut the grass, yeah? Trim bushes? Eat broccoli? Even a macro algae is a living organism.

samfive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2057.jpg
My hair is a bird. Your argument is not valid.

oh207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a xenia refugium. But its growing wild in my tank to the point where its become invasive. Its growing on the back glass, on spots all over the sand bed, on the backs of dead snails, and in between my prized zoa frags and colonies. I hate them.
But, everyone else in the family seems to like them. Its the only coral they seem to care about or recognize. I do scrape off as much as I can and toss them, so I suppose thats a form of nutrient control.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a LR rack in my sump that became a xenia fuge. It grew under a NO T-12 shop light and was great for LFS store credit. At the time I couldnt grow cheato so I was happy to have something to use up some PO4

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all my display is covered in this **** lol I will never have it in any more of my display tanks .a separate tank would be ok tho bc it sells pretty well.

Back