yellow gig?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but they're hard to come by, and most people can't ID them.

The LFS holding the gig could spell death. If he were to get sick, they're not going to treat it.

IMO, I would rather have him in my possession so I can take care of the animal and treat as needed.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the guy was kind of anxious to sell it. he contacted me to inform me that he had it. he reportedly had it for a couple weeks. it was attached tosome rubble, and kind of sticky. not nearly as sticky as my healthy gigs though.

hmm... wouldn't it increase the odds of success to observe for a week? like i stated earlier? if it's sick, wouldn't it show signs in that time?

Yes it would, like I said if the mouth is open, doesn't react to the touch, not really fully attached to anything sorta just hanging out all signs of stress. IMO if the LFS is too eager to sell something I'd think twice:) just me though.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see a gig in any store, he's coming home with me because they are rare no matter where you are in the states.

80% of LFS cannot ID them. IMO, there is no way to be sure a gig will do well.

It can be sticky, fully inflated, and eating...doesn't matter. It all depends on your tank. Age, params, lighting, flow, husbandry, etc.

It obviously helps to get a sticky fully inflated gig, but there is just no garentee he will do well. All of them react differently even in the same tank.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see a gig in any store, he's coming home with me because they are rare no matter where you are in the states.

80% of LFS cannot ID them. IMO, there is no way to be sure a gig will do well.

It can be sticky, fully inflated, and eating...doesn't matter. It all depends on your tank. Age, params, lighting, flow, husbandry, etc.

It obviously helps to get a sticky fully inflated gig, but there is just no garentee he will do well. All of them react differently even in the same tank.

agreed, 2 of my current gigs were identified wrong. one as a sebae and one as a haddoni. lol

i have learned that gigs are / can be very difficult to acclimate. i believe that you are correct about the conditions. i performed the same process with my current gigs and they are doing well. i tried with the yellow, and it turned to mush. i'm sure i will try again... probably the next time i see a green or yellow. lol :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back