yellow gig?

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked up this lemon yellow gig from a lfs. here is a pic of it still in the bag. it was expanded and looked great when i picked it up. it retracted some from the ride. lol

think this is actually a yellow gig or maybe green and bleached? the yellow looks saturated and honestly lemon yellow. either way, i couldn't walk away from it :) i think i'm seeing a pattern develop here... i need bigger tanks! lol

i will post more pics of it in qt and down the road....

Last edited:

camelcruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that looked exactly the same. It's an unbelievable color I had never seen one like it before until now. I don't think it's a gig though I just don't remember the species the supplier had a bunch of different colors but the bases were all colored similar to that one with the kinda dark green foot. Really nice nem man good luck with it.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, the foot is blue under white lights and the veruca are dark purple. i'm pretty sure it's a gig :) maybe i'm wrong though. i will post some pics once it adjust some to the qt.

thanks though! i'm hoping it does well.....

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first thought when i saw it was a bleached green. time will tell though...

i'm not treating yet because it's hasn't deflated since being in the bag and the mouth is tight. it's not fully expanded, but not deflated either. i will keep in qt and monitor...

not the best pic, but color accurate. it attached to the worst side of the qt for pics. lol :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's 100% a gig and a nice one. He's not looking good though.

Typically I find that yellow gigs are bleach greens. Greens are hard to come by too. To me, their the holy grail of all gigs.

Don't loose him. I would start Bactrim treatment asap for minimum of 7 days.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you define as a defining characteristic that would mean it needs to be treated? i've read open mouth, expelled stomach, deflation, and some people treat every gig that they get in. i was under the impression that if it doesn't totally deflate and the mouth is tight, that there is no need to treat. thoughts?

i admit that it doesn't look the healthiest. i don't think most newly shipped in gigs do. just wondering when it's good to just leave it to recover and when it's time to treat....

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updated pic once the lights ramped up... seems to like the environment :)

this is pretty much how it looked at the lfs before i picked it up....

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i came home, and saw the mouth gaping and some internal flesh coming out... i'm going to medicate with septra tonight at lights out....

sorry for the poor quality cell pic....

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you define as a defining characteristic that would mean it needs to be treated? i've read open mouth, expelled stomach, deflation, and some people treat every gig that they get in. i was under the impression that if it doesn't totally deflate and the mouth is tight, that there is no need to treat. thoughts?

i admit that it doesn't look the healthiest. i don't think most newly shipped in gigs do. just wondering when it's good to just leave it to recover and when it's time to treat....

With that gig, he didn't look the worst, but was deflated. Just about every gig I see needs to be treated. Only if they are super inflated and fluffy do I just dump one in my DT.

I think treating them for 7 days is good rule of thumb. Others may disagree, but this is my preference. Gigs can look absolutely perfect one minute and literally deflate like the pic above in the next minute.

If the mouth is like the one you have above, you need to treat asap and don't stop early if he's looking good. I would do Bactrim not Cipro.

Bactrim works best for gigs. Good luck!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the time you posted the pics, you can see that gig went from looking half way decent to horrible in less then 5 hours.

Happens fast!

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the time you posted the pics, you can see that gig went from looking half way decent to horrible in less then 5 hours.

Happens fast!

thanks for the advice. yes, it happened very fast... not looking good at all... i did a 100% wc on the ht this morning. i'm using water from one of my reef tanks. i'm kind of doubtful about this one. i should have watched it at the lfs for a week or so before i bought it....

if this one doesn't make it, i'm just sticking to the ones i have. i have 2 multi colored and a blue that are all fluffy and apparently healthy. this is rough seeing this one going down hill.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice. yes, it happened very fast... not looking good at all... i did a 100% wc on the ht this morning. i'm using water from one of my reef tanks. i'm kind of doubtful about this one. i should have watched it at the lfs for a week or so before i bought it....

if this one doesn't make it, i'm just sticking to the ones i have. i have 2 multi colored and a blue that are all fluffy and apparently healthy. this is rough seeing this one going down hill.

If you want to save him, I would use fresh aged saltwater and do x2 water changes a day with this one. The key is to keep the water very very very clean. A new gig loves fresh pristine water. If it gets cloudy at all, change it. If you start to develop a film on the bottom and sides of the tank, take a clean dish brush and scrub it off. Keep the tank spotless. Low lighting too keep him comfortable. A gig expelling his guts doesn't tolerate light well. I would use 1 pill Bactrim/Septra to 10/g or 1/2 pill to 5/g to save water. Sometimes gigs don't do well with full dose of Septra for the full 7 days. Backing off to half dose after no deflation can help a lot. Keep us updated. I'll try to help you save him. We'll need pics.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have been using aged water. I pull it out of my larger system with my reef tank and nem cube attached. The water turned seriously cloudy just over night. I just have a small low wattage t5 fixture on it. Is one is doing very poor, especially compared to the other gigs. I'm trying, but kind of skeptical

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have been using aged water. I pull it out of my larger system with my reef tank and nem cube attached. The water turned seriously cloudy just over night. I just have a small low wattage t5 fixture on it. Is one is doing very poor, especially compared to the other gigs. I'm trying, but kind of skeptical

Don't use DT water yet. Do that before the transfer. To help acclimate and see if he will tolerate it. They like freshly mixed aged water better when they're sick.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut the lights out if he's real bad. If no response from Septra in 48 hrs,
Cut the dose in half and start cipro with it at 500 mg per 10/G. 2x 100% WC's daily. Pristine water.

Good luck

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use DT water yet. Do that before the transfer. To help acclimate and see if he will tolerate it. They like freshly mixed aged water better when they're sick.

i might try that next time.... i tossed it out. it clouded the water up again in less then 12 hrs, and the insides were falling apart. it was turning to mush. i was doing a wc 2x a day because it was clouding up the water so bad. i can't believe how quickly it went. seriously bummed.... next time i will wait and watch a gig for a week before i buy it. lesson learned.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might try that next time.... i tossed it out. it clouded the water up again in less then 12 hrs, and the insides were falling apart. it was turning to mush. i was doing a wc 2x a day because it was clouding up the water so bad. i can't believe how quickly it went. seriously bummed.... next time i will wait and watch a gig for a week before i buy it. lesson learned.

Sorry to hear it didn't make it:( also, you mentioned u couldn't pass it up for the price was the LFS too eager to sell it?. My rule of thumb: Ask the LFS if you can inspect the foot to make sure there weren't any tear? touch it to see if it sticks to your finger, does it react to the touch, is it attach to something like a rock or the bottom of the tank, if it looks like its just floating around its not a good sign, mouth open? If the LFS is willing to let you do all this its a good sign that they want to sell you a healthy specimen. Hope this list helps you next time coz I learned the hard way too. Good Luck:)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you try to inspect with gigs. They can be sticky and look flawless. Then take a dive.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the guy was kind of anxious to sell it. he contacted me to inform me that he had it. he reportedly had it for a couple weeks. it was attached tosome rubble, and kind of sticky. not nearly as sticky as my healthy gigs though.

hmm... wouldn't it increase the odds of success to observe for a week? like i stated earlier? if it's sick, wouldn't it show signs in that time?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back