Yellow Tang Sitting on Sand Bed

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY yellow tang is just sitting on the sand behind the rock work. Visibly looks ok but just motionless on the sand. Any help appreciated!

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tang eating? Any changes recently in the tank? Any spots or other symptoms? Nipped fins or anything like that? Other fish in tank with any symptoms? Parameters and pics would also help. Sorry it’s just very difficult to give any valuable advice without knowing more...

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't been eating for a few days. Only changes would be a water change on Saturday about 5 gallons. No other specific symptoms, and no nipped fins. All the other fish look perfectly fine going about their day. Just about to do my chem tests. here is a picture of it.
IMG_4102.JPG

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me that it has a deflated bladder. It was lodged into the rock work and I fished him out. When I picked it up and let it go it just kinda went to the bottom. Is there any treatment for this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Awefully skinny.
What are you feeding?3
What is tank temperature and salinity ?
Any rapid breathing or unusual white or black spots on body ?

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some dietary challenges there forsure. Are you feeding a good blend of food with plenty of algae? How long has the tang been showing these symptoms? Is this a new addition to your tank?

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good blend of pellets and seaweed. Just today. Had him for a long time. It is a very picky eater and eats only a little bit.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you posted a thread just a little over a week ago about coming home to a power outage after a weekend. Have you checked ammonia and nitrite since then? Where are those parameters today?

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have the Ammonia or nitrite test kit sadly... Nitrates are around 5ppm so I would think that ammonia and nitrite would be very little to non-existent.

PMs:
Nitrate: 5ppm
PH: 8.2
KH: 10ppm (a little high)
Ca: 380ppm
Phosphate: 0.25
Salinity: 1.25
Temp: 78.9

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Don't have the Ammonia or nitrite test kit sadly... Nitrates are around 5ppm so I would think that ammonia and nitrite would be very little to non-existent.

PMs:
Nitrate: 5ppm
PH: 8.2
KH: 10ppm (a little high)
Ca: 380ppm
Phosphate: 0.25
Salinity: 1.25
Temp: 78.9
If no kit- Change water now using same temp and a tad lower salinity

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey okay let’s figure this out huh? So you’ve had this fish for a long time, that’s good. Maybe try some nori or masstick to help get some food in him? Or veggie pellets soaked in garlic? Maybe try getting some macro algae tangs like from a friend/lfs? Seems to be mostly a nutrition issue.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try to get him in a qt tank or large acclimation box as quickly as possible, as he can’t swim around in a net and is probably getting stressed in there. A large Rubbermaid bin with a powerhead and heater should suffice, maybe a bubbler/air stone as well for extra oxygen and safety

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It couldn't swim at all even when it was in the DT. Would it be fine in their for like a day or is it ASAP?

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It couldn't swim at all even when it was in the DT. Would it be fine in their for like a day or is it ASAP?
I would say as quickly as possible, since the fish is already in a not good condition. It should be able to breathe unimpaired and a net against fish gills doesnt help, also the swinging back and forth stresses the fish which stops it from getting better. I would say priority 1 here is getting that fish some oxygen so it stops breathing so heavy, then getting it to eat. Maybe @Big G has some recommendations for you on a dip or something that you can do to help it breathe?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back