Yellow Watchman: Disease or just Stressed?

Ryrycosmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just got this Ywm goby and pistol shrimp and the goby has been acting funny since I got him on Sunday. Currently he is breathing rapidly and has some white discoloration. I am hoping he's just stressed as it's his third day but it doesn't feel like that since he's just staying in one place now and those other signs... This morning he didn't seem interested in food neither.

Anyways, he hung on a ledge towards the surface where the water enters the sump until Tuesday morning when I found him on the sand bed.

I figured he was just really stressed from the peppermint shrimp mainly as they seemed to be harassing him, but now he doesn't seem phased by them at all.

Going to check levels and try feeding him and will update, but here are pictures of him now. Not sure what I should besides wait..

20231206_193316.jpg 20231206_193254.jpg 20231206_193237.jpg

OP
OP
Ryrycosmo

Ryrycosmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my measurements:

Specific gravity: 1.023
pH: 8.2
Ammonium: 0.05 (hard to read but close to zero)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Calcium: 440
KH: 12dkh

I have been doing 25% water changes twice a week, trying to get the KH down has been hard after I used the 8.4 supplement without knowing it raised my KH so high!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my measurements:

Specific gravity: 1.023
pH: 8.2
Ammonium: 0.05 (hard to read but close to zero)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Calcium: 440
KH: 12dkh

I have been doing 25% water changes twice a week, trying to get the KH down has been hard after I used the 8.4 supplement without knowing it raised my KH so high!
Youve had this fish 3 days you said?

OP
OP
Ryrycosmo

Ryrycosmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youve had this fish 3 days you said?
Yeah, just three days now.

I tried feeding him brine shrimp with a baster and he may have ate a few tiny bits but he didn't really seem too interested.

He also didn't seem to care about the baster being close to him or when the peppermint shrimps were touching him

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just got this Ywm goby and pistol shrimp and the goby has been acting funny since I got him on Sunday. Currently he is breathing rapidly and has some white discoloration. I am hoping he's just stressed as it's his third day but it doesn't feel like that since he's just staying in one place now and those other signs... This morning he didn't seem interested in food neither.

Anyways, he hung on a ledge towards the surface where the water enters the sump until Tuesday morning when I found him on the sand bed.

I figured he was just really stressed from the peppermint shrimp mainly as they seemed to be harassing him, but now he doesn't seem phased by them at all.

Going to check levels and try feeding him and will update, but here are pictures of him now. Not sure what I should besides wait..

20231206_193316.jpg 20231206_193254.jpg 20231206_193237.jpg
Fish is awfully thin and may be feeding off its liver and slowly deteriorating. Has it been eating and if so, what is being fed?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Raise salinity to 1.024-1.025 and disregard nitrate level

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here's how his breathing is
Video not playing and 3 seconds simply not enough. (at least 20 seconds so respirations can be counted)

OP
OP
Ryrycosmo

Ryrycosmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is awfully thin and may be feeding off its liver and slowly deteriorating. Has it been eating and if so, what is being fed?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Raise salinity to 1.024-1.025 and disregard nitrate level
I have been feeding him brine shrimp and then pellet food. He looks like he was eating more the first day and a half but not so interested now.

His breathing doesn't seem too labored, just really fast but I don't have that trained of an eye yet to say so confidently. He breather 36 times within 20 seconds though

Going to raise the salinity slowly
Cant see the video, upload to youtube then paste the link
Currently getting errors uploading to youtube, I wil keep trying but hopefully this new one will work here

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been feeding him brine shrimp and then pellet food. He looks like he was eating more the first day and a half but not so interested now.

His breathing doesn't seem too labored, just really fast but I don't have that trained of an eye yet to say so confidently. He breather 36 times within 20 seconds though

Going to raise the salinity slowly

Currently getting errors uploading to youtube, I wil keep trying but hopefully this new one will work here
Diet is inadequate. Add LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp, small plankton to the diet

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to raise salinity, may actually be harmfull. It increases the osmotic pressure on the fish so it will need to spend more energy. Also oxygen decreases (exponentially) with increased salinity.
Fish looks emaciated so try to find the right kind of food that triggers a strong feeding response. My YWM gobies really like finely chopped fresh clam meat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got YouTube to work:

Sorry - the goby is dying from starvation or has undergone an osmotic stress. There is nothing you can do for it at this point.

You should contact the LFS and ask for a refund. Either the fish was starved when you bought it, and they shouldn't have sold it to you in that condition, OR they were keeping the goby in low salinity, and when you acclimated it to your tank at higher salinity, the change caused all of the water to flood out of its tissues, making it appear starved. Either way, the store is at fault here.

Jay

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live brine shrimp. Maybe your lfs has them or you can get the brine shrimp hatchery from brs. No fish can resist em and will start him eating. Then mix in other stuff with it.

OP
OP
Ryrycosmo

Ryrycosmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and grab
No need to raise salinity, may actually be harmfull. It increases the osmotic pressure on the fish so it will need to spend more energy. Also oxygen decreases (exponentially) with increased salinity.
Fish looks emaciated so try to find the right kind of food that triggers a strong feeding response. My YWM gobies really like finely chopped fresh clam meat.
Try live brine shrimp. Maybe your lfs has them or you can get the brine shrimp hatchery from brs. No fish can resist em and will start him eating. Then mix in other stuff with it.
Gonna try and get some of these types of foods and see how it goes. Really wish I could of taken a sick day to take care of the lil guy
This is what I feared, he did have a burst of energy and looked healthy for a little last night, but this morning he looked bad again.. Going to see what the fish store says

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back