Yellow Watchman Goby showing red flags

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on vacation last week while my parents were taking care of my tank, once I got back they told me that the YWG and my Mandarin Dragonet haven't been eating even though the food is up for grabs. The Mandarin is very skinny even though I added a crap ton of pods in my DT, but I transferred him to my sump in hopes of the fish to eat the pods. But, I'm more concerned about the YWG since he's been acting very abnormal such as being out of his hole and not eating when the food is literally in front of him, also the week before this last week I noticed that the fish had a possible bacterial infection. I'm not sure what to do or how to treat it but I really hope to save both of these fish.

67924500940__84BC43A3-F257-4025-878E-6BB00BBAE2FA.JPEG 67924502744__2EFF09E8-B469-487F-894A-765E788E5FA0.JPEG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish may not have related issues. The mandarin may just be starving, they are prone to overrunning pod populations in just about any size tank.

The goby seems to have some scrapes on its head. Could it have gotten startled? Sometimes, people taking care of tanks don't know things like bumping the tank, cranking all the lights on, etc. can cause the fish to dart around.

In the end, there just isn't much to go on here. Take a look at this post and see if there is any background info you can supply that might give us more clues:

Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish may not have related issues. The mandarin may just be starving, they are prone to overrunning pod populations in just about any size tank.

The goby seems to have some scrapes on its head. Could it have gotten startled? Sometimes, people taking care of tanks don't know things like bumping the tank, cranking all the lights on, etc. can cause the fish to dart around.

In the end, there just isn't much to go on here. Take a look at this post and see if there is any background info you can supply that might give us more clues:

Jay
Regarding the scrapes, there have been times when I walk into my room and the goby will dart into his cave and behave normally, but how he's acting now is like a completely different fish. I had previously posted a concern about the bump on his head to which other reefers responded that it's most likely a bacterial infection and it will either go away or kill the fish, with my knowledge I'm assuming that this "infection" has somewhat affected its behavior and/or its way of thinking. When I feed my fish I usually turn my whites on max, when doing this every day my fish have recognized it and will all come to the surface/come out of their caves for food; when I did this today, the goby didn't do anything and, as stated before, won't even try to eat any passing food right in front of his face. I will try and post parameters tomorrow once I get the chance to.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Also to note, my parents told me that the goby was swimming up and down against the side of the tank but whenever he was going down it seemed like he was falling down instead of swimming. I recognized this behavior where he would chase his own reflection by swimming up and down, but never where he was "falling".

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the scrapes, there have been times when I walk into my room and the goby will dart into his cave and behave normally, but how he's acting now is like a completely different fish. I had previously posted a concern about the bump on his head to which other reefers responded that it's most likely a bacterial infection and it will either go away or kill the fish, with my knowledge I'm assuming that this "infection" has somewhat affected its behavior and/or its way of thinking. When I feed my fish I usually turn my whites on max, when doing this every day my fish have recognized it and will all come to the surface/come out of their caves for food; when I did this today, the goby didn't do anything and, as stated before, won't even try to eat any passing food right in front of his face. I will try and post parameters tomorrow once I get the chance to.

Excessive startling response in fish can sometimes be a sign of underlying issues, but without some other clues, I can't say what that might be.

Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excessive startling response in fish can sometimes be a sign of underlying issues, but without some other clues, I can't say what that might be.

Jay
Just noticed that the fish is acting even weirder, I'm going to start up my hospital tank so that I can observe him closer without anything else trying to get at him which is what I'm suspecting. Here's a quick video of how he's acting right now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that the fish is acting even weirder, I'm going to start up my hospital tank so that I can observe him closer without anything else trying to get at him which is what I'm suspecting. Here's a quick video of how he's acting right now.

Well, the fish is breathing o.k, (not too fast or deeply). It does have some odd fin damage that I can't account for - either some chronic bacterial issue, and/or another fish attacking it, or self-imposed damage from its flighty behavior.

Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fish is breathing o.k, (not too fast or deeply). It does have some odd fin damage that I can't account for - either some chronic bacterial issue, and/or another fish attacking it, or self-imposed damage from its flighty behavior.

Jay
it also seems as if he's inflated, here are some pictures of him from the past for reference (Closeup being the most recent of last year, fake coral decorations in the background being oldest). I'm assuming it might be a bacterial issue, anything that I could treat him in the hospital tank? The only medication I have on hand currently is proxy prispo, but other than that I'll have to get it.

63756066938__630D1A33-15D0-4996-B9C1-987C786F7ABD.jpg IMG_0833.jpg IMG_2652.jpg

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
What other information can I provide you with for you to better understand the issue?

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Reef tank
  • 29g DT, 37g total volume
  • Filtration: sump (skimmer, refugium, UV sterilizer, mechanical filtration)
  • 2x AI prime on schedule
  • Age of tank: +2 yrs
  • Water params: will get them soon
  • No fish lost
  • No invertebrates
  • Goby is not eating for +1 week (mainly fed him the semi-whole shrimps from Rod's food each time I fed him, might have caused him to not eat), everyone else is fine
  • No medications have been applied yet

Last edited:
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I don't think it could be another fish since he's established his dominance towards all other fish who might threaten him.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to finally put the goby in the hospital tank and after a closer look at the guy, my assumption is that he has fin rot, what do you guys think? Here's a closer video of the fish:

I put a nice little chunk of shrimp right in front of him but he wouldn't budge at all and he's been like this for over a week, anything I can do for him or will he eventually starve himself to death?

Last edited:
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that the goby pooped, but it's that white stringy thing in the video anything I can do to force feed him?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back