Yellow Watchman Goby showing red flags

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that the goby pooped, but it's that white stringy thing in the video anything I can do to force feed him?

As I said, I just don't have enough clues to come with with a solid remote diagnosis. That is sometimes the case....

The white poop is mucus. In this case, from not feeding. I re-read your post to try and get more background information - this is a relative long term captive - like over a year?

The fin damage isn't primary, it looks like it is secondary to some systemic issue. In this case, I would say that Mycobacteria - fish TB is a possibility. It is a common chronic disease of older fish. However, it isn't treatable.
Another possible clue is that you said it just ate shrimp? Shrimp is high in thiaminase, an enzyme that breaks down thiamin, vitamin B1. If fish are feed food high in that, and it is not supplemented elsewhere in their diet, they develop nutritional deficiencies that can be fatal. Again, the trouble is that once they stop feeding, it can't be fixed.

Sorry that I don't have good news for you.....

Jay

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, I just don't have enough clues to come with with a solid remote diagnosis. That is sometimes the case....

The white poop is mucus. In this case, from not feeding. I re-read your post to try and get more background information - this is a relative long term captive - like over a year?

The fin damage isn't primary, it looks like it is secondary to some systemic issue. In this case, I would say that Mycobacteria - fish TB is a possibility. It is a common chronic disease of older fish. However, it isn't treatable.
Another possible clue is that you said it just ate shrimp? Shrimp is high in thiaminase, an enzyme that breaks down thiamin, vitamin B1. If fish are feed food high in that, and it is not supplemented elsewhere in their diet, they develop nutritional deficiencies that can be fatal. Again, the trouble is that once they stop feeding, it can't be fixed.

Sorry that I don't have good news for you.....

Jay
In the past, I used to revert back and forth between mysis shrimp and brine shrimp, but early this year I switched to Rod's foods to vary their diet. I would usually give the goby the bigger piece since none of the other fish could eat it, which was most likely shrimp, but since there were other parts of the frozen food still being dispursed he would also eat whatever floated his way.

Yes, I've been having this fish for almost as long as I've been having this tank.

What should I do going on from here, is there anything that I could do for the fish to aid in his recovery, or is it already too late? I really hope this guy pulls through but it seems as if he's already at death's door.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thread bumps are only allowed once in a 24hour period.
Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I used to revert back and forth between mysis shrimp and brine shrimp, but early this year I switched to Rod's foods to vary their diet. I would usually give the goby the bigger piece since none of the other fish could eat it, which was most likely shrimp, but since there were other parts of the frozen food still being dispursed he would also eat whatever floated his way.

Yes, I've been having this fish for almost as long as I've been having this tank.

What should I do going on from here, is there anything that I could do for the fish to aid in his recovery, or is it already too late? I really hope this guy pulls through but it seems as if he's already at death's door.

Well, if it is an issue with thiaminase, and the fish isn't eating, then there is nothing that you can do to save the fish. It could be something else of course.....

Jay

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall you posting the age of the tank...
How long have you owned the goby, and what size was it when you got it?
It could just be old age...

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall you posting the age of the tank...
How long have you owned the goby, and what size was it when you got it?
It could just be old age...
I posted it earlier, I've been running it for 2 years and 3 months (April 10th, 2020). I can't remember exactly when I got him but I know it must have been a little more than a month when I first started the tank. Here's the earliest picture I have of him dating June 6th, 2020.

IMG_2652.jpg

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted it earlier, I've been running it for 2 years and 3 months (April 10th, 2020). I can't remember exactly when I got him but I know it must have been a little more than a month when I first started the tank. Here's the earliest picture I have of him dating June 6th, 2020.

IMG_2652.jpg
Sorry, I missed that info. Thanks.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His breathing is getting faster, I'm guessing that he probably won't last until next week...

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish ended up dying while I was away, it seems that there was a white spot that I noticed before which grew a lot bigger after his death so I'm not sure if that might have given away some information about what the fish had.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_2571[1].JPEG
    IMG_2571[1].JPEG
    107.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2572[1].JPEG
    IMG_2572[1].JPEG
    107.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2573[1].JPEG
    IMG_2573[1].JPEG
    100 KB · Views: 17

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back