Yellowhead jawfish issues

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my third try with these. I did full very careful QT, copper, treated for internal and external parasites, 7 months ago. He's been absolutely fine in the DT and then out of no where he stopped eating yesterday and is staying in his den. This exactly what happened to the previous two. No sign of illness, the other fish in DT are fine. This is very frustrating

Do Y Jawfish just not live very long in home aquaria??

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try them and maybe forgo your copper treatments? Are you sure nothing in the tank is harassing them?

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try them and maybe forgo your copper treatments? Are you sure nothing in the tank is harassing them?

The copper treatment was 7 months ago. Nothing has been harassing him

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one many many years ago, which lived for at least a few years, so it's probably not age. They are pretty shy. Is it possible that another fish is intimidating him & that's why he's not coming out?

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one many many years ago, which lived for at least a few years, so it's probably not age. They are pretty shy. Is it possible that another fish is intimidating him & that's why he's not coming out?

Its not a harassment issues, he has been aggressively coming out and competing for food the entire time he's been in the DT, until yesterday

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all fish do well in copper and some meds. Some believe it shortens a life of a fish. I have never had a issue with getting a sick fish from KP.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he even peaking his head out of his den? Maybe after a day or two he'll go back to his normal behavior.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he even peaking his head out of his den? Maybe after a day or two he'll go back to his normal behavior.

Yes he is poking his head out a bit at times. I hope he will do better, but he's never not eaten before and his behavior is not normal

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get him as a full adult? Do you have pictures? I have seen Jawfish that come in as very mature adults. And they don't live as long as other fish. KP sells juveniles at the beginning of spring to early summer.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get him as a full adult? Do you have pictures? I have seen Jawfish that come in as very mature adults. And they don't live as long as other fish. KP sells juveniles at the beginning of spring to early summer.

Yes an adult. He's in the den, if he comes out, I'll take photos. He was out yesterday and I observed no signs of illness. I always pay attention to early signs

This is bumming me out

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve had him 7 mos my money is on that he tried to dig around and a rock moved on him or he jumped, got stuck out of water for a moment or few then ended up back into the water.

Mirya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one yellow-head jawfish that I had for some time go blind on me. He was acting much more shy and staying in his burrow. I did some Googling and a few other people had reported this as happening. I switched back to LRS (had been feeding Rod's food since I had won a pack of it at a frag swap) and also soaked mysis in Selcon for him. I had to offer food directly in front of his nose via a pipette to feed him. It took several weeks, but he did regain his vision. Alas, I moved about a month after that and he managed to go carpet surfing the first week.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one yellow-head jawfish that I had for some time go blind on me. He was acting much more shy and staying in his burrow. I did some Googling and a few other people had reported this as happening. I switched back to LRS (had been feeding Rod's food since I had won a pack of it at a frag swap) and also soaked mysis in Selcon for him. I had to offer food directly in front of his nose via a pipette to feed him. It took several weeks, but he did regain his vision. Alas, I moved about a month after that and he managed to go carpet surfing the first week.

It's strange, the last time he ate a larger wrasse and him collided going for the same piece of food. I wonder if that is playing a role? I have some LRS, I'll add some garlic and see if that helps

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could have definitely scared him from coming out. Try to squirt some food right at the opening if you haven't already. Just make sure there is food else where so the other fish don't try to enter his hide.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could have definitely scared him from coming out. Try to squirt some food right at the opening if you haven't already. Just make sure there is food else where so the other fish don't try to enter his hide.

I just tried, he popped about half way out out bit for a second but didn't eat. Now he's got everything closed up for the day. After the collision he did continue to eat, but now this. The food misdirection trick with the wrasses lasts about half a second

I'll try again in the morning

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping everything works out, they are such cool fish

Thanks, he hasn't even uncovered his den this morning. I love them too but in my experience so far, my opinion is that they are not very hardy or simply don't live that long in captivity. I'm sure there are exceptions and better aquarist than me but if he dies, I'm afraid this will be my last attempt at a jawfish.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it's now been almost one week. He's spent almost all his time in the den covered up only opening it for a bit in the morning. As a last resort I bought some live blackworms to try mid week. He wouldn't eat.

But this morning, he ate several of them as I hand fed them to him right about his den with a turkey baster, HOORAY!!! I'm so happy right now! I thought he was goner

Someone had mentioned this earlier in the thread about blindess. It seems like he might not be seeing his fool that well, but not sure. His non eating and reclusive behavior seem to begin when he collided with a wrasse going for the same piece of food. I had also been feeding the tank right above his den and maybe all that activity above his den was an issue?

Any thought or advice going forward to help him recover?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back