Yep, another MI Reefer!

Zombo

Mantis Cult Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Rob, and I'm a mantis shrimp addict. It started innocently enough, with the little Sea-Monkey tank I bought at Wal-Mart. Then it hit me: "What preys on Sea-Monkeys?" -- "Corals do..."
A visit to Preuss Pets in Lansing, and $130 later, a 4 gallon Finnex with #5 of live rock was on my desk at work. I wasn't satisfied. The lust for more creatures beckoned to me like the smell of roadkill attracts the buzzards --- I needed MORE! Palys and rics and zoas started filling the 4 gallon....but then....
Nanocubes, Biocubes, Aquapods, biopods, nanopods, Nanowaves, and other species of small reef keeping gagetry was available, and CHEAP.
I bought a Nanowave 9 for $89. Part of it was broken, I got free parts, those were broken, I bought another! Next thing I knew, I had two complete Nanowaves and one for doing DIYing. More rock and softies were crammed haphazardly into the 9 -- aquascaping everyday!
It wasn't enough. I needed more activity than gently swaying polyps. I needed the Circle of Life to occur. Then I read about them, these beautiful killers called stomatopods.
I bought one. She cost lots of money. I bought another, and quicky resold it! Would this madness ever end?
--------------------------------------
No. As I sit here, chugging Mountain Dew and watching Bella and the as-of-now still un-named G. chiragra under my DIY LED lighting, I await the delivery of a CADlights 22 gallon.....how will I configure it? Time will tell.
--------------------------------------

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HA love your signature! ;)

Welcome to R2R!

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your intro :) welcome to r2r! glad you joined us...............

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

Mantis Cult Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome! In stark contrast to the missive above, I actually am going to design and implement an eggcrate divider in the CADlights 22, and create the ultimate "Mantis Townhouse" for both Bella (my Gonodactylaceus glabrous) and my new Gonodactylus chiragra.

Here's Bella, posing pretty for "daddy":
Picture002.jpg

..and the new N. chiragra, the no-name mantis:
Picture027-1.jpg

:)

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

Mantis Cult Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Mantis shrimp are carnivorous ;) The only coral damage one might get in keeping a mantis shrimp would be that they like to re-arrange things to suit their tastes!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back