YES or NO -- wavemaker

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking into picking up a wavemaker (reef fanatic wave creator) from a local swapper at a frag swap coming up ... I have 125 - 6 ft long tank. I have always wanted to get a wavemaker of some sorts so I am just wondering if there are any pros/cons to them. I currently have 2 powerheads running (at opposite ends of the tank) as I am just into the first week of this new tank being setup. For my tank, or in general, is there any reason that a wavemaker would not be a good fit -- or are they a pretty good deal to add to the reef tank? Thanks reefers!!!:bigsmile:

Drea'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby, but I purchased a hydor wavemaker 2 and have seen a big increase of my live stocks activity...

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all powerheads can handle being used on a wave maker. Not sure what you have but I would check that out. Also maybe look into a wp-40, maybe use that along with what you currently have.

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read up there are two reasons for wave makers: 1. Corals Love high water activity "natural", 2. Invertebrate's also tend to prefer the varying water flow due to the foods being more evenly dispersed and agitated. Hope that helps. I personally have a pair of Hydors running in my tank on one side with a pulse setting of 30 seconds which works quite well. you can see them on the left side. The pump on the right is currently inactive.

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wavemakers will shorten the life of your pumps. I would ditch it and go with a single wp-40 or (2) wp-25's. Use their built in settings to get random flow.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into wavemakers for a few months. I run powerheads on my controller. For my new tank 72 bowfront reef ready, I am thinking using a SCWD, alternating between the locline, and a sea swirl

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running 2 JVP-102 12V powerheads ... Just got done looking at the wp-40. Looks like that may be a good option for me. By the looks of it I can simply throw the one powerhead up at one end of the tank and I would get the wave action I am looking for.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my powerheads more for eliminating dead spots than actual wavemaker flow, I only run the wavemaker setting because it is there, and I spent so much on the controller it seems a waste to not use it

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back