Yet another Vortec wet side failure!

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up on Vortec. I can no longer tolerate the wet side issue! It is already a VERY expensive piece @$400+. Now they fail to tell you that you will have to replace the wet side (@$70+) every few months. I have had my MP40 for about 9 months and it has already needed 2 wet sides:ah:! Yes, I run mine wide open on the pulse mode, and I am meticulous on the alignment.
I am curious to hear what the manufacturer will have to say.
So I am @ over $550 for less than 1 year of service. Tunze is expensive but reliable.
I am very frustrated w/ high ticket products w/ budget performance.
It was the wrong night for this, do to the fact my $200 aquarium Plants Electronic CO2 Regulator pooped out Thursday after 2 mnths and manu will not return call for warranty!!!!!! and they do not accept Email!?

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow sucks to hear about your loss. i have had my mp20 and mp40w for about 7 months now and they are doing great but I have been hearing a lot of problems lately which shouldn't happen at the price we paid for these suckers. Hopefully, you will get your problems resolved soon. Good luck

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
I am really debating on scrapping it and going back to Tunze.
I had to break out my trusty Tunze 6060 because I refuse to dump another $70 in another wet side.
Such is the game we play.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a crappy few days. Hopefully Vortech or another sponsor would be able to help you out. Good luck

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that crazy, I though the warranty on the wetside was a year:moneygrubber:

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went from koralia's to vortech's so I am not sure about tunze but i have only heard great things about them as well as their customer service. I love the tunze skimmers though they are great.

evad1

CORAL CARTEL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have a 1 year man warranty...
the gen2 is great no issues here, i dont know why you bought 2 wetsides in 9 months???? vortechs and tunzes are both great

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they have a 1 year man warranty...
the gen2 is great no issues here, i dont know why you bought 2 wetsides in 9 months???? vortechs and tunzes are both great

I have very limited time, I own a Thai restaurant and go to Nursing school so I did not have much time to research.
I really did not know the wet sides were under warranty. I bought them from the LFS that I bought the MP40 but they never mentioned they were under the warranty. Coral health was primary so I just bought them for 1 less thing to worry about.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks, they shoud have let you know, the new versions a greatly improved

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1st gen MP40 that I have had over 2 years and never had to replace anything..sorry to hear about your issues

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hope I don't have any problems with mine! I have the best of both worlds in my 180 I'm going to be running 2 tunze and 2 vortexs. That is horrible how long they are lasting for people!

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know quite a few people who have Vortecs in their tanks and have never complained about issues. When they have, Vortec has always made it right. I think if you went high enough up the chain in Vortec, that somebody would have the authorization to replace this part for you for free, because as you stated, for as expensive as they are, they really should work. Good luck.

joesfiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the mp40w and the mp20 with no issues at all maybe you got a bad vortech

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, what is causing the failure? Could it be the pin spacers? If they are not in the right spot, then the wet sides can come off. Or it could be the little bearing inside the that the prop presses up against. I take mine off about every other month and give it a good couples hours in Vinegar, that keeps the bearing happy.

I just added a second MP40w to my tank, and a battery backup as I have so pleased with the performance.

Oh, by the way, Marv treated Jr and I to lunch at your restaurant last week, it was GREAT!!!!

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, what is causing the failure? Could it be the pin spacers? If they are not in the right spot, then the wet sides can come off. Or it could be the little bearing inside the that the prop presses up against. I take mine off about every other month and give it a good couples hours in Vinegar, that keeps the bearing happy.

I just added a second MP40w to my tank, and a battery backup as I have so pleased with the performance.

Oh, by the way, Marv treated Jr and I to lunch at your restaurant last week, it was GREAT!!!!

I am sorry I missed you guys, but I have been having issues w/ my Asthma and have been out of commission. It was a real bummer to miss you guys:(
The problem is the White bearing, prop hub and the shaft screw. I came home and it was sounding like a cricket. I noticed the prop shaft would stop turning even thought the pump was on, it would spin then lock etc...
When I took it apart the prop could be turned (easily, due to the nut being very loose) while holding drive magnet. I took it apart and found the hub was binding in the white bearing and was very difficult to separate the 2 due to burrs on the hub. I dressed it down and if was freed up so when I put it back together it would spin free but the prop would spin on the shaft when under load, when I tightened the nut then it would make a chirping noise.:cry:

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what steve at ecotech told me to do to get my froze up bearing seperated:
Morgan,
As bizarre as this sounds, you can place the parts on a piece tin foil in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour. PLEASE BE SURE TO LET THEM COOL BEFORE TOUCHING THEM. That should allow you to separate the pieces.

Regards,
Steve

Stephen King
Service Manager
EcoTech Marine
610.954.8480 x106

Looks like I'm gonna have to bake one again tonight as I had one freeze up on me last night again. I'm just gonna start baking and soaking them in vinegar so I always have a backup handy.

OP
OP
dknuckles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Roshi719.
The baking probably causes the burr to melt back down.
IMO these units are to expensive to need any service it that little time, my latest has been in service less than 2 mnths. If it was a $75-100 pump I can see possible need, but not @ $400. My 6060 Tunze has always been plug and play, 1 1/2 yrs never anything but a few vinegar baths and that was only for aesthetics not necessity.

Pazazz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the cricket noise is very bothersome. I have cleaned mine and reassembled. It just seems the the prop will not spin as fast as the shaft and the nut is on snug but looks like it can easily be over tightened and cause this issue. Seem the the shaft design is poor. I like it but cant stand the cricket chirping and need to turn down the speed.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back