Yikes...high nitrate

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my water for my 65 tonight, nitrate is somewhere between 20 and 40. In addition to increased water changes is there a safe way to lower nitrate?

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to figure out if there is anything dead or an accumulation of detritus that might be causing the excess nitrate. Other than that, not much short-term in a reef tank. Remember to change anything slowly, and make sure your skimmer is working efficiently.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 isn't a bad number, if its that one I'd not worry about it, unless you have SPS. Even Softies and LPS like those numbers. But to knock em down even more, if you do 50% water change it will knock those numbers down by half. So to speak, sometimes it won't, but if you do it 3 days in a row, you will notice that they've been knocked down to where your more comfortable with them.
Or
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/
http://melevsreef.com/node/184

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whos-still-vodka-dosing-and-hows-it-going.82101/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vodka-dosing.138408/

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a sump? If so check for detritus build up and siphon it out.

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes water changes water changes, refugium, skimmer, filter would have to be clean often but a good mechanical filter to pull out floating stuff

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Biopellets or carbon dosing Vodka or other can also help but I'd start with making sure skimmer is at its best performance, making a couple of larger water changes and having a strict water change schedule. if that doesn't help then try vodka or biopellets.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think I found the issue...there was a lot of detritus hidden under the macro algae and return pump.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're running an algae turf scrubber or refugium with macro algae, nitrate can bump up when the algae starts consuming ammonia instead of nitrates. If that is the case, the algae could be preventing a much more dangerous ammonia spike and possible tank crash.

If everything else is fine I would let it run a little longer to see if the nitrates come down all on their own.

And less feeding will help also.

My .02

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be kinda tough there Bob, as the bacteria already in the system is there to eat ammonia, nitrite then nitrates. Therefore the macro and scrubber would go after the abundant nitrates, because there are no ammonia to go after.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a refugium, with grape and umbrella calerpa (sp?) as well as a mangrove. I've done two large water changes, and today I retested the water...it still looks high but I can't tell since the color chart is too similar. Algae is starting to grow in my display so I know it's still high. I'm going to keep up the water changes and try to siphon the sump every week

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably if the algae were consuming ammonia, that would cut off the source of nitrate and allow it to decline just as much as if they were using nitrate directly, assuming the same total amount of growth and hence need for nitrogen. :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to "discuss" (as my wife would say :D) but the op does have a refugium with algae and may have had a "shock" to the system.

So there is aerobic bacteria reducing some ammonia plus the possibility of additional ammonia from some kinda "shock". At that point the macro algae will directly consume the ammonia while the existing bacteria is still consuming some ammonia and still producing nitrItes and then nitrates.

But the algae is now getting nitrogen from the ammonia and nitrates are still being generated. Hence a nitrate spike.

After awhile the "shock" to the system will subside and/or aerobic bacterial will increase at which point the algae will be forced to get its nitrogen from the resulting nitrates.

Hence the algae may in fact be prevent a much more dangerous ammonia spike and resulting tank crash. And restoring the system to the pre "shock" state.

Which I why I emphasize the stability created by algae in our tanks.

And IMHO the best thing to do for minor nitrate spikes is basically nothing. Or at most reduce feedings.

But still that's just my .02 for ya'all's consideration. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the algae is now getting nitrogen from the ammonia and nitrates are still being generated. Hence a nitrate spike.

The nitrate is coming almost exclusively from the ammonia. Take away the ammonia and you take away the nitrate source. :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate is coming almost exclusively from the ammonia. Take away the ammonia and you take away the nitrate source. :)
absolutely.

But the algae does not take away all the ammonia being generated. Only that ammonia above what the bacteria gets.

I guess if you somehow killed off all the aerobic bacteria that would be true. But that would be a vary exceptional situation. Just over feeding, or a fish death would seem more normal so the aerobic bacteria is still there and functioning but can't handle the increase in ammonia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what you are saying.

If algae takes up one nitrogen atom in the form of nitrate, there is 1 less nitrate ion present.

If algae takes takes up one nitrogen atom in the form of ammonia, there is 1 less ammonia molecule present, and since it converts nearly 1:1 into nitrate, there will be 1 less nitrate ion present.

rodneyroe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a pleco in the tank first.... Get rid of it. Second do water changes and a good filter clean changing the zeolite and carbon. Add some beneficial bacteria.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed maybe a week or so ago that some of my snails had flipped over and died, I'm assuming that's what happened. All that's left are some empty Nerite shells. I doubt that a few dead snails could cause this though. So how would I remove excess ammonia? I thought it was converted into nitrite and then nitrate?

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a pleco, they are freshwater fish. I typically clean the protein skimmer every few weeks, no box filter. I change car or monthly and gfo every 2-4 weeks. What is zeolite?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back