You won't believe this!!!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty strange!!! Sorry for the length.

A few months ago I researched CO2 regulators and decided to build one myself, never having done this b4 I decided to buy all new Swagelok fittings. I had to place two separate orders because I had to sift through posts and videos looking for part numbers that I had no idea what they were.
Well after the second order I had just about everything I needed.
I built the regulator but realized I needed one piece in order to extend the connection between the regulator and bottle.
I placed my 3rd order from swagelok and waited.
No part came, I was waiting on a $9 part after having spent $200 or so on previous orders.
I checked my email and saw a msg from Swagelok stating that I had to verify that I was using the part within the borders of the United States.
I called them up and asked them what was going on with my order.
I was asked to verify that I was not shipping any parts over seas.
I asked them if this was an inquiry regarding potential terrorist activity and they said yes. I ask them why would they wait for my third order before asking me my intentions, he apologized, said it was SOP and that it should have been asked at the time of my first order.
I laughed and told him what I was building and he recognized from my previous orders that I described what would be needed for a regulator build.
It was surreal but being a former Army officer, I took no offense to the inquiry.
Beware when buying parts from Swagelok, you may be placed on a watchlist.

20201104_154339.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nuts! I‘ve never ordered any parts through Swagelok, as I get all my regulator parts through eBay. That’s a sweet looking regulator build BTW... nice work!

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nuts! I‘ve never ordered any parts through Swagelok, as I get all my regulator parts through eBay. That’s a sweet looking regulator build BTW... nice work!
Thank you, I followed your post and one other, you answered the questions I had and it was spot on info.
In order to buy from Swagelok you have to have a business, which I had in the past and used it.
I never expected that question but In the scheme of things I understood their concerns.
Parts were more expensive at Swagelok but because it was my first build, I didn't want to take chances.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back