Your color choice for a center piece RFA in a pico?

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting 1 RFA as a center piece lifeform in my pico tank, along with some sexy shrimp! Currently shopping around for an ultra, and I'm wondering what color combinations are your favorite? What would you choose as a singular RFA?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting 1 RFA as a center piece lifeform in my pico tank, along with some sexy shrimp! Currently shopping around for an ultra, and I'm wondering what color combinations are your favorite? What would you choose as a singular RFA?
If you can make it to a frag swap, that would be a great place to look. I went to one this past weekend and there were probably 100 RFAs to choose from ranging from $30 to $80. I will say the $30 ones looked just as good as some of the $80 ones to me. If you are wanting red then I would probably go with a red maxi mini or mini carpet, which ever they are currently calling them. They stay around the size of a RFA and are blood red in color. I'm just not sure if a sexy shrimp will pair up with one, never researched it.

In the end, it is what YOU like not what someone else likes.

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make it to a frag swap, that would be a great place to look. I went to one this past weekend and there were probably 100 RFAs to choose from ranging from $30 to $80. I will say the $30 ones looked just as good as some of the $80 ones to me. If you are wanting red then I would probably go with a red maxi mini or mini carpet, which ever they are currently calling them. They stay around the size of a RFA and are blood red in color. I'm just not sure if a sexy shrimp will pair up with one, never researched it.

In the end, it is what YOU like not what someone else likes.

Fair point. I do find it helpful to hear what others like though while researching, as I've never seen one in person before and I'm not exactly sure which ones pop the most in person.

I seen a few posts of people mentioning that sexy shrimps will host an RFA, but it seems hit or miss. I'll defer to the experts though!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given this is going to be your centerpiece, I would highly highly recommend you to choose it in person. Keep in mind that it still may even look different under your lights versus the light they're displayed under.

I bought a dozen RFA online from various vendors. Only two have come looking quite close to the originals.

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given this is going to be your centerpiece, I would highly highly recommend you to choose it in person. Keep in mind that it still may even look different under your lights versus the light they're displayed under.

I bought a dozen RFA online from various vendors. Only two have come looking quite close to the originals.

Totally makes sense, I'll start looking around at the vendors in my area (bay area).

Do you mind sharing the vendors that represented your RFAs the best?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orange and green tentacled ones look amazing under blue heavy lighting, again like others said, shop around you can usually find really nice ones around $50 range

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check aquasd, they usually have. if looking for a LFS where are you located?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check aquasd, they usually have. if looking for a LFS where are you located?
He said he was in the Bay area. Not sure what it is like out there but we have plenty at our LFS in the Dallas area. I have found frag swaps to be the best place to see them and get good deals. The $30 ones I saw at the frag swap this past weekend would most likely sell for $60 to $100 at our LFS here.

I would also consider one of these:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a frag swap in Silicon Valley on 5/14. A good place to see a good selection of corals.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like too many color combinations to really narrow it down to one. But if I had to pick one single RFA to be in a tank, I’d probably go with a large splatter. I personally love the splatters with blue skirts, and I have one on the way. The red skirt splatters are also highly covetedHere is one of mine:

5E0EB1BC-BF31-477B-9490-BE00FB0BDA6C.jpeg

On another note, I think you should consider maybe adding a small batch of different rock flowers that are all beautiful to you. One rock flower is great, but several RFAs is better. Your one rock flower might decide to move to the back of the rock, among other things, and I personally think the color combinations look even better when you can see the contrast between two or three RFAs next to eachother.

Here is a batch of 8 I recently added (I collect RFAs and usually add them 6-1at a time). The colors are nice, but the contrast between them is even more mesmerizing to me. Maybe a small batch of 3-5 hand selected flowers would be cool for your tank?

999C8404-4C3E-46A8-B5C9-AE2939841E32.jpeg

If money is no object, and you really want to go “all in” on one single RFA, you can get into the wild world of super rare “two face” and “chimera” RFAs.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing… don’t overpay for RFAs. There are a couple of different places where packs of 6-10 “ultras” can be had for <~$300 (shipped to your door). Don’t overpay for rock flowers!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a red dragon ultra or something similar. Red is just such a strong color, and if it’s a centerpiece it will command even more attention.
20211231_215721_05.jpg

Bottom left. Just be warned they are unlikely to move but they can will and have

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine move but only if it gets shaded by something, the rest of the time it stays in the same place, super easy to care for as well IME

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing… don’t overpay for RFAs. There are a couple of different places where packs of 6-10 “ultras” can be had for <~$300 (shipped to your door). Don’t overpay for rock flowers!
Can you name these places?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like the normal green ones. They don't sound like much, but they glow under LEDs. There are also zebra pinstripe ones, and yellow ones with grey/blue tentacles that look amazing.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back