Your color choice for a center piece RFA in a pico?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you name these places?

Do you use FB? I can send you a pm with 3 places to look at. And the shops typically respond faster to messages on there (some don’t update their websites too often).

I get a lot of mine from RJ at Savage Reefers, he’s an awesome dude (message me and I’ll send you his info): https://savagereefers.com/collections/anemones/products/ultra-flower-anemone-pack

I’ve also had good experience with Trashpanda (he just got 1,000 RFAs in a few days ago) and he is highly recommended by RFA addicts.

You can also checkout Foxy Saltwater. They are collectors in the Keys (where the nems come from):

I’m on my phone, or id give a few more links. But let me know and I can send you a pm with a couple to checkout on FB!

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all thanks for the suggestions. I've been eyeballing the ultra's at TSA, they're really eye catching.

I also finalized my scape in my jar. Moved a bunch of pieces to the glass using magnets and tried to free up as much sand bed as possible. Do you think it's safe to add 2 RFAs, or should I just stick with one? I'm leaning towards one, but I may be able to shuffle another piece of rock to the back of the large piece.

Keep in mind the diameter of the jar is 10", the curvature of the glass distorts everything but top down is pretty accurate. The small cove is probably 6-8" across.

One benefit is that even a quarter size RFA is gonna look huge!

PXL_20220324_063358194.jpg
PXL_20220324_063350131.jpg
PXL_20220324_074048014.jpg
PXL_20220324_074146031.jpg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all thanks for the suggestions. I've been eyeballing the ultra's at TSA, they're really eye catching.

I also finalized my scape in my jar. Moved a bunch of pieces to the glass using magnets and tried to free up as much sand bed as possible. Do you think it's safe to add 2 RFAs, or should I just stick with one? I'm leaning towards one, but I may be able to shuffle another piece of rock to the back of the large piece.

Keep in mind the diameter of the jar is 10", the curvature of the glass distorts everything but top down is pretty accurate. The small cove is probably 6-8" across.

One benefit is that even a quarter size RFA is gonna look huge!

PXL_20220324_063358194.jpg
PXL_20220324_063350131.jpg
PXL_20220324_074048014.jpg
PXL_20220324_074146031.jpg

This is a neat little setup. If the diameter is 10 inches, you have space for tons of RFAs if you wanted to go crazy.

You asked if it is safe to add two, and the answer is absolutely (as long as the tank is cycled and whatnot). You could fit way more than just two in there. Just for reference, here is a picture of one of my rocks covered in RFAs. The rock is about 8-10 inches wide.

C4B9ECBA-FC95-4519-8CC5-DCB36BFB2B51.jpeg

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a neat little setup. If the diameter is 10 inches, you have space for tons of RFAs if you wanted to go crazy.

You asked if it is safe to add two, and the answer is absolutely (as long as the tank is cycled and whatnot). You could fit way more than just two in there. Just for reference, here is a picture of one of my rocks covered in RFAs. The rock is about 8-10 inches wide.

C4B9ECBA-FC95-4519-8CC5-DCB36BFB2B51.jpeg

Thanks!

So no problem if they touch? That's rock is stunning, wow. Where did you get those ones?

I should clarify that I was wondering how many I can comfortably fit in the sand bed. I might go coral on the rock scape, although that might change after I get my first rfa haha.

Last edited:

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

So no problem if they touch? That's rock is stunning, wow. Where did you get those ones?

I should clarify that I was wondering how many I can comfortably fit in the sand bed. I might go coral on the rock scape, although that might change after I get my first rfa haha.

Nope, they are totally fine touching!

About the number you can fit in the sand bed, again, way more than you probably think. Some will choose to stay on the rocks, some will prefer to make themselves comfy where the rock meets the sand, and others will want to be in the sand bed only. RFAs are pretty good about staying put and do not move around as much as other types of anemones, but they are still nems and will walk around to find a new spot if they aren’t happy! There’s some cool pictures on the internet of RFA tanks that are so covered you cannot tell it has a sand bed.

Personally, I’d put like 5-10 pretty ones in there at the start. It would be beautiful, and you can add more over time. They are notoriously slow growers; Target feed them with meety foods once or twice a week and they will grow for you.

And thanks, RFAs are my favorite and have been since I first saw one in the FL Keys as a child! I get all of mine from one guy mostly, but also buy from another guy every so often. Send me a message and I’ll get you their contact info.

Please don’t pay those TSA prices! You can get 7-10 prettier ones for the price of 2 from there!

kiswanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the red looks the most dramatic, but I would also encourage buying a group of ultra RFAs with different colors. They look amazing and are easy to care for.

CDA564F3-BEB2-4650-81BE-2082ED0CCAA2.jpeg
F2FA7DAD-AE6B-473C-8712-F48793EC0EDE.jpeg

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do u all keep them from moving all over the tank and killing the rest of the coral iv got a spot I'd like one but worried it won't stay

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do u all keep them from moving all over the tank and killing the rest of the coral iv got a spot I'd like one but worried it won't stay

They haven't moved from the cut down PVC end caps I put them in, but at the end of the day they're going to do what they want

PXL_20220403_042007503~2.jpg

PV Reefs

@PV _Reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm planning on getting 1 RFA as a center piece lifeform in my pico tank, along with some sexy shrimp! Currently shopping around for an ultra, and I'm wondering what color combinations are your favorite? What would you choose as a singular RFA?
Two face

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back